10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do feel like there are parallels with the way Mahrez started with us. Obviously there are some pretty big differences between them as players but I'd be astonished if Grealish doesn't improve massively after 18 months with Pep.

My main concern there is that Grealish simply doesn't have the same level of natural talent as Mahrez and so I'm not sure he'll ever develop into being a proper difference maker on an individual level. I'm also not entirely sold on the idea of him moving into midfield so far but I guess we'll see how he progresses.

I do feel like there are parallels with the way Mahrez started with us. Obviously there are some pretty big differences between them as players but I'd be astonished if Grealish doesn't improve massively after 18 months with Pep.

My main concern there is that Grealish simply doesn't have the same level of natural talent as Mahrez and so I'm not sure he'll ever develop into being a proper difference maker on an individual level. I'm also not entirely sold on the idea of him moving into midfield so far but I guess we'll see how he progresses.
I just can’t wrap my head around us not having an end game in mind for him before shelling out a record fee.
Nothing about Pep or the club points to anything but a well thought out strategy as to how Grealish is going to be deployed eventually.
This year was always about getting him up to speed and nothing has really changed on that score. Once he’s comfortable I think we will see the benefit. Right now he’s not quite there and as is football, will be pulled up on anything but top notch showings.

I just can’t wrap my head around us not having an end game in mind for him before shelling out a record fee.
Nothing about Pep or the club points to anything but a well thought out strategy as to how Grealish is going to be deployed eventually.
This year was always about getting him up to speed and nothing has really changed on that score. Once he’s comfortable I think we will see the benefit. Right now he’s not quite there and as is football, will be pulled up on anything but top notch showings.

Yeah I do agree overall. As I say, my only issue is with managing expectations because I don't really see the same level of potential in him as what I've seen in many of our other players over the years.

I felt in the summer like we could take or leave him and I wouldn't be bothered either way and I still feel the same way now.

There is a load of potential there to be worked on but I don't feel like he's ever going to be the player some of those who bought into the summer fanfare had professed. Weirder things have happened but I just don't think it's likely.

Basically, his best is definitely still to come but I don't think his best is as good as others seem to think.

Well he is not all of a sudden going to develop pace and a left foot.

So Pep needs to play him in midfield if he wants to get the best of grealish. Like villa did.
Exactly. If we wanted an out and out winger we'd have kept Jack Harrison.
Grealish was signed for the long term. He's been getting a bit of a free pass from Pep this season - largely because we're so much better than the competition. I expect more to be asked of him as the season progresses, and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes more influential come April/May.
He's set for a major role in the midfield next season, and I expect to see him starting a lot more games than KDB.

While I'm firmly in the "give him time" camp, I can't fully subscribe to the infallibility of our recruitment history, or Pep's for that matter. City have signed some ill-fitting duds under this administration, and Pep has had a few down the years too

I'm sure the club and Pep have an idea how they want to develop Grealish, but then again they must have had similar ideas when they shelled out for Mangala and Ibrahimović respectively, too. Sometimes it doesn't work out, for whatever reason

I don't think that'll be the case with Jack, but I also don't think it's an impossibility just because we are a superbly run football club with a genius manager

While I'm firmly in the "give him time" camp, I can't fully subscribe to the infallibility of our recruitment history, or Pep's for that matter. City have signed some ill-fitting duds under this administration, and Pep has had a few down the years too

I'm sure the club and Pep have an idea how they want to develop Grealish, but then again they must have had similar ideas when they shelled out for Mangala and Ibrahimović respectively, too. Sometimes it doesn't work out, for whatever reason

I don't think that'll be the case with Jack, but I also don't think it's an impossibility just because we are a superbly run football club with a genius manager
There's certainly no guarantees with the signing, mate.
I think it's just my nature to defend players who I feel are being critisised unfairly and I believe some of the stuff thrown at him falls under that.
I always go back to looking at how hard it must be for Grealish to make the jump from big fish small pond to smallest of small fish in a fucking huge ocean. That's why I'm willing to give him time.

There's certainly no guarantees with the signing, mate.
I think it's just my nature to defend players who I feel are being critisised unfairly and I believe some of the stuff thrown at him falls under that.
I always go back to looking at how hard it must be for Grealish to make the jump from big fish small pond to smallest of small fish in a fucking huge ocean. That's why I'm willing to give him time.

I agree with all of that. Especially difficult to go from big fish to small fish who cost more than the great white sharks you're now lining up next to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.