10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacks problem is we added another 'creator' but still have no one capable (outside of Mahrez) to reliably stick the ball in the net. After Aguero left, Torres was the most like a natural finisher we had and we let him leave.

We are relying too heavily on goals from players that arent renowned for putting up big numbers. False 9 is great for certain games but we are missing a finisher. Look at Kevs assist stats since we went false 9.

Out of interest as I can’t be arsed scrolling back but all the posters (and they’re the same names every week) who can’t wait to jump on him and call him a failure, did you post last week after the derby to give him credit for an excellent performance?
You know, as a bit of balance.
One swallow doesn't make a summer, sunshine.

If he was bought by anyone else we'd be laughing at how much they wasted on him.

His stats, even shite like expected assists, do not currently justify what City decided to shell out.

He may still yet come good next season but it would be good if we could finally get a forward player that doesn't need a season to do anything of note.

Jacks problem is we added another 'creator' but still have no one capable (outside of Mahrez) to reliably stick the ball in the net. After Aguero left, Torres was the most like a natural finisher we had and we let him leave.

We are relying too heavily on goals from players that arent renowned for putting up big numbers. False 9 is great for certain games but we are missing a finisher
The decision to go all nicey nicey City when it came to Torres looks like it could be costly. Maybe we felt we could afford to let him go ss we seemed to be coasting at the time. We're crying out for someone with his finishing ability now and should have kept him until the end of the season.

If he was bought by anyone else we'd be laughing at how much they wasted on him.
Maybe... while desperately hoping he doesn't come good in his second season(like many players before him have after joining that same club/coach) and fulfil all that potential.

His stats, even shite like expected assists, do not currently justify what City decided to shell out.

He may still yet come good next season but it would be good if we could finally get a forward player that doesn't need a season to do anything of note.
I just checked expected assists per 90 status on FBref.

Grealish is currently ranked #5 in PL behind TAA(0.38), Salah(0.34), KDB(0.32), Reece James(0.32), tie with Bruno(0.31). Apart from Salah, all the others are regular set piece taker in their team and set pieces taker gains a lot of xA. Grealish almost never takes set pieces since joining. His xA is purely from open play which is really remarkable.

I am not suggesting his xA status justifies the price tag. But just want to point out his xA is very good.

Long-time lurker on here but this thread has eventually tipped me over the edge.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the number of opinions that seem pre-formed or based solely on the result of the game with our players by our own fans is scary (in particular Grealish). Jack and Kev were easily our most dangerous players last night and both watching the game (without bias) and the stats back that up. Both also showed a want to try and take the game by the scruff of the neck, Jack in particular made multiple tackles near the end to keep our pressure on. If we converted one of the many clear cut chances we had last night I think the comments on here would have been very different, whether that be through more praise or silence from his "haters". Even more so if one of the clear cut chances he created was converted.

I think too many people expect the world from him due to the admittedly large price we paid. However, people expecting the new Messi or the next ballon d'or are always going to be disappointed. He has never been a player that will smash assists or goals records and that's okay. I think too many fans hold stock in goals and assists. Now I do get this, and I also think Grealish needs to offer more in this department to an extent but as others have said it’s difficult to judge this season in particular as our chance conversion has seemed to be poor. I also think stats don't always tell you how good a player is or how successful/important they are. I saw a poster earlier refer to his assists return for his premier league career of roughly an assist every 6 games. This is the same as Bernardo, are we going to say he has had a poor season or career at city? Would we not spend £100 million on another Bernardo Silva now? I get he isn't at Bernardo's level, but I do think Bernardo offers a great comparison for what Grealish could become for us. Both had slower starts to their career (as how many players have?) and took time to adjust to pep but showed glimpses of being extremely talented (both also on the wing). I think too many fans want a team of 50+ goals contributions a season players but you're never going to have that.

If you are someone who still doesn't "get it" with Grealish. Ask yourself why he has as many starts as Phil and Kev this year and in important games too. Not many other new signings for pep have managed that. Peps is hardly someone to play a player because he's scared to bench a 100 million pound man is he? He must be doing something right. Yes, He has room for improvement, and he hasn't justified the price tag yet, but he also has the best manager in the world to get him to that next level. So have faith, he's already an important cog in our well-oiled machine and he's only going to get better.
Bernardo plays centre mid and grealish plays in attack. No point comparing statistics of players in different positions. I would suggest if an attacking player has worst stats than a centre midfielder his output isn't enough but for what it's worth Bernardo has the same amount of assists and has scored 3 more goals despite playing further back and having a different role entirely.

I haven't got a problem with people rating grealish it's an opinions game but I don't, I maintain the opinion if one of our competition signed him for 100mill and offered what he has this board would be ripping the piss out of them, the excuses and the narrative changes by the month, he needs 12 months, he's playing out if position now the narrative is once we get a striker he's gonna come good.

(I think Bernardo is phenomenal for what it's worth)

If we can't tell the truth about Grealish then we have absolutely no right to criticize Sancho. Grealish has more experience in the pl and is much more matured compared to Sancho yet sometimes on this forum I feel like Grealish is treated like McAtee while Sancho is treated like some 28 year old who has been in the pl for 5 years and disappointed all through his career.

If this was ANYONE else, most of us would ask for that person to be moved on, some fool called Phil or something even suggested we snap the hands off teams if they offer 60 million for Kdb and that donkey is somewhere here mouthing off at those who have decided to tell the truth about Grealish.

Last edited:
Out of interest as I can’t be arsed scrolling back but all the posters (and they’re the same names every week) who can’t wait to jump on him and call him a failure, did you post last week after the derby to give him credit for an excellent performance?
You know, as a bit of balance.
Yes, aren't you the clown who, some weeks ago suggested we sell KDB for 60 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.