10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why it takes a £100 million player who has played in this league for years 12 months to adopt to our style is baffling.
EVERY new player Klopp signs fits into the system straight away.

It's because he's a better manager, they have a better squad, they sign better players and are simply better in every conceivable way.

Still underdogs though, of course.

Said it before, I'll say it again - I refuse to believe our club gambled £100m in the belief Jack Grealish could be turned into Leroy Sane.

He doesn't have blistering pace. He has a left foot, but doesn't use it a whole lot. He's capable of scoring a few goals but he's not a consistent, clinical finisher.

All those are things that can be worked on and improved, but if they don't come naturally then they're never going to be world-class.

I don't necessarily have the answer to how we can best use him. Maybe Pep doesn't know exactly yet. But there will have been a plan when we bought him - a plan to use what he is good at to our advantage - and that will still be in progress.

Said it before, I'll say it again - I refuse to believe our club gambled £100m in the belief Jack Grealish could be turned into Leroy Sane.

He doesn't have blistering pace. He has a left foot, but doesn't use it a whole lot. He's capable of scoring a few goals but he's not a consistent, clinical finisher.

All those are things that can be worked on and improved, but if they don't come naturally then they're never going to be world-class.

I don't necessarily have the answer to how we can best use him. Maybe Pep doesn't know exactly yet. But there will have been a plan when we bought him - a plan to use what he is good at to our advantage - and that will still be in progress.
It's all down to marketing. I think he has the ability to increase City merch sales to the teenage demographic.

Mahrez had a stinker first season. He had years of experience in the league and a previous player of the year in fact. Played in the champions league before and is technically amazing. He came into his own after that first season where his gameplay is a lot more than just goals and assists. It’s a completely new way of playing a game; they played it at a basic level before where this is next level. Anyone comparing Sane to him can write their football knowledge on a stamp. Sane was an out and out winger. Grealish played the left of an attacking central three. I do think we bought him for English quota, marketing purposes too but it’s nonsensical if you think our fantastically well run club would spend 100m on him without a second thought. Have time, have patience. Sterling gets that kind of flack and it’s racism. Judge next season.

It's all down to marketing. I think he has the ability to increase City merch sales to the teenage demographic.

I'll happily eat my words if you want to do the maths to prove me wrong, but my instinct is we're unlikely to get close to breaking even on his transfer fee, let alone his wages, on increased merch sales.

I'm not saying it's not notable that a new player looks good in the kit and is engaging in interviews and nice to fans and inspires a generation of kids to change their hairstyle. It's good. It gets us new young fans, and a little bit of media goodwill too.

But it's an insult to the player and the club to suggest that was the reason they bought him.

Mahrez had a stinker first season. He had years of experience in the league and a previous player of the year in fact. Played in the champions league before and is technically amazing. He came into his own after that first season where his gameplay is a lot more than just goals and assists. It’s a completely new way of playing a game; they played it at a basic level before where this is next level. Anyone comparing Sane to him can write their football knowledge on a stamp. Sane was an out and out winger. Grealish played the left of an attacking central three. I do think we bought him for English quota, marketing purposes too but it’s nonsensical if you think our fantastically well run club would spend 100m on him without a second thought. Have time, have patience. Sterling gets that kind of flack and it’s racism. Judge next season.

I’m sorry, but that’s simply not true. He may not have been as consistently dangerous as he is now, but he had 12 goals & 12 assists in his first season with us.. 13 goals and 14 assists the following season.

Grealish is either going to need to change position, or drastically up his game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.