10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won games on his own,and had his peers naming him as the most talented player they had ever seen.
Like it,or not....and even though we are not getting the best out of him right now....his ability is genius (an exceptional skill in a particular activity)
Peak Messi, Ronaldo, Spanish Dave to me they are/were geniuses , Jack Grealish is nowhere near those levels and never has.

That doesnt sound anything like the player who was terrorising defences at Villa.....i wonder why?

He wasn’t terrorising defences at Villa though. He was a fairly decent, neat and tidy player who on occasion would score a good goal or create something out of nothing.
We are seeing the exact same player, only against packed low block defences that he won’t of encountered often for Villa.

He’s exactly what we bought, that’s why his form for us is a real concern. He’s not shit, he’s not great. A neat tidy player with no real stand out attributes.

He’s exactly what we’ve seen for the past 9 months. What we’ve seen for England and his entire career at Villa.

Hopefully he can improve under a great coach.

Last edited:
Won games on his own,and had his peers naming him as the most talented player they had ever seen.
Like it,or not....and even though we are not getting the best out of him right now....his ability is genius (an exceptional skill in a particular activity)

Emi Martinez (who's played with both) described him as "Messi with a right foot" - obviously not in terms of achievements, but in terms of style and skill set. He also called him the best player he's ever seen, presumably except for Messi.

I'm comfortable talking about a lot of top players as possessing genius, or specific actions as demonstrating genius.

But to BE a genius, you have to use those skills to achieve at the highest level.

There's a million reasons I'm sad that Villa aren't regularly challenging for trophies, and one of them is because the greatest player we've produced in my lifetime has had to go elsewhere in order to reach his potential.

Maybe in a few years' time we'll be able to call him a genius. But he's got to find a way to put himself in that conversation.

He wasn’t terrorising defences at Villa though. He was a fairly decent, neat and tidy player who on occasion would score a good goal or create something out of nothing.
We are seeing the exact same player, only against packed lie block defences that he won’t of encountered often for Villa.

He’s exactly what we bought, that’s why his form for us is a real concern. He’s not shit, he’s not great. A neat tidy player with no real stand out attributes.

He’s exactly what we’ve seen for the past 9 months. What we’ve seen for England and his entire career at Villa.

Hopefully he can improve under a great coach.

What you're describing is pretty accurate in terms of what we've seen from him at City so far, but really misrepresents his last 18 months or so at Villa where he was a genuinely very creative, dynamic, dangerous player

Only Kevin De Bruyne created more chances in the Premier League last season than Grealish. He managed 6 goals and 10 assists playing for a mid-table Villa side, as against the 6 goals and 12 assists De Bruyne managed playing for the league champions

He was a lot better than "fairly decent," if admittedly still falling well short of "genius"

Honestly, the fact that we've spent £100m on him and are going to let Gabriel Jesus go for a song, on the face of it, looks like some of the worst business of all time. Up there with Pep giving Eto'o and £50m for Zlatan. Hopefully he proves people wrong and actually starts doing something, but he's not even a young player, he needs to improve rapidly, as at this point I'd put McAtee and Palmer on ahead of him if I needed a goal

Last season, before his injury, he was one of the best players in the league.

Dynamic, direct, tricky, near-impossible to dispossess, nice interplay with his teammates, always looking to set someone up for an easy finish, and confident to take shots from around the edge of the area.

if I saw that video about a player that I didnt know and someone said we were buying him Id really question the decision to....it shows nothing more than anything any average professional footballer at the top level can do...And youtube videos usually make people look better than they are!!

If anything, you have just made me question him that bit more as I thought maybe I hadnt seen enough of him previously....

This thread is interesting but typical of the forum.

No one can deny that we need to see more from Jack but his performances are generally better than they are being credited. He is quite obviously a player adapting to a very different situation to the one he came from.

What none of us knows is exactly what Pep is asking of him but Pep doesn't seem exactly unhappy with his contribution.

I'd say he plays safe too often but that may be down to how he is being asked to play: the same could often be said for other players.

Only KDB is making more key passes per game than Jack but Jack is not racking up the assists in the same way; some of that may be down to the quality of the passes but - with City's finishing - it could also be bad luck on Jack's part.

He's a gifted footballer who has had a steady season in a great side; that is actually not bad at all but it's not spetacular; however, you would think from some of the comments that he is stinking the place out and he is not.

He wasn't as influential against top teams i agree,but that is understandable when the quality of opposition is that much greater.He still provided moments of brilliance,gained his team ground,and brought others into the attack with his hold up play,while also winning set pieces with his direct running and dribbling ability - all that has seeminglyand disappointingly,been coached out of his game.

It was a very strange signing if we were never going to play to his strengths.
moments of brilliance anyone can do....even on a park on a Sunday.

I grant you he didnt have the team around him at Villa but now he does...and he at present looks out of place by a long shot.....KDB, Bernardo, Foden all miles ahead of him in terms of ability to influence the game and individual skill as well....Add to that Mahrez as well...even Sterling who is frustrating at times provides a threat and a danger (he hasnt been great this season)
Grealish at present isnt anywhere near to the level of these guys either as an individual or as part of the team...foden is 5 years younger and already a far better player at present,

And the line about his skill being coached out of him...are you seriously suggesting that Pep is at fault here? Pep is well known for improving players both as individuals and how they fit into his system of how he wants to play..

The only thing I agree with you on is that it was a very strange purchase ...full stop but Im hoping it proves otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.