10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grealish isn't a winger and is completely wasted out there for me. His quality is receiving the ball on the half turn in the spaces between midfield and defence and then feeding in those up top.

He hasn't set the world alight since he's been here which I thought he would but I do think he needs to be in the middle, unfortunately he isn't as good as the players playing there currently!

Jack and Cancelo don't work together and that's a big issue. But it's on Jack to improve and tweak his game slightly. Both players like the ball to feet and rarely make a run into space. They rely on others moving and want to create. Jack looks so much better when he's playing with a left footer, using their overlap as a decoy - or not. But he needs to evolve his game because Cancelo plays at LB more often than not.

The Mahrez comparisons are always interesting. He was frustrating for the opposite reasons. Dribbled and shot a lot when better options seemed on. But he still got 7 goals and 4 assists in the league in his first season and has followed it up with 31 goals and 29 assists in the following 3. Jack's got a long way to go to deliver numbers like that. He has to start looking for the ball into space and moving in behind at times - he also needs to get into the box more as he did against Wolves. He can't expect to always get the ball to feet and have others running off him. He wants to draw players in, beat them and feed it into someone. But with City he often just ends up passing to Cancelo or central and then staying in the same position.

I'm interested to see if he plays with a left footed LB tomorrow night. I think we'll see a lot more of him if he does. He ran the game at home to Copenhagen, I'm not sure why he played with more dynamism that night (although largely in the second half)? Was it because Gomez was at LB? Was it because Bernie and De Bruyne weren't on past 60 minutes so he stepped up to drive us forwards?

Grealish isn't a winger and is completely wasted out there for me. His quality is receiving the ball on the half turn in the spaces between midfield and defence and then feeding in those up top.

He hasn't set the world alight since he's been here which I thought he would but I do think he needs to be in the middle, unfortunately he isn't as good as the players playing there currently!
He's predominantly played on the wing in his career. The issue is he doesnt feed those up top with cute D.Silva/gundo/Kev-esque passes, he's a transition player who drives into space (usually on the counter) and commits players before laying off the ball or having shot.
With teams sitting so deep against city there's rarely opportunities for him to do this, I can recall one from the weekend where he won the freekick driving at a leicester defence on the counter which we scored from. But he really struggles against a settled low block defence to create or get past a man, resulting in him turning back and passing it to the fullback or midfielder.
There's no chance pep will trust him in the heartbeat of his team where he requires top quality pace setters and passers of the ball, foden barely gets a look in there and his ability and footballing IQ for what pep wants is above grealish's.

Karen Beardsley called him the No Stat Hero in the matchday live for the Sevilla game. Nedum echoed some of her points of how he’s the one doing things others won’t appreciate or bother with…winning the free kick for Kev’s goal and things like that.

Not that it’s hard to see but it’s nice hearing coherent analysis on things like that compared to all the nonsense those on sky/bt spout.

Last edited:
Big game for Jack tonight. A left footed left back behind him. Support from Foden in the middle...nowhere to hide if he doesn't make an impact. Tonight's your night lad, go and get a goal or two!

Have you forgotten how to read? Maybe the big red nose hindered your vision.

You've taken something iv never said and then somehow used it to question me with.
Lol. Comprehension not your strong point?

0A4658E0-2945-46E7-BA60-FAFCBE7ADE2D.jpeg
That’s your response mate. You’d be pissed off if we won every game if Haaland didn’t score. Crazy point of view for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.