10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his biggest problems is that he’s not been given the chance through the middle and probably won’t be because of other options.

And then we’ve got Gomez who he links up with well on the left who is IMO great going forward but not good enough defensively. Not for what we need right now anyway. I’d like to see him given a loan and a more proven left back coming in but whether that happens remains to be seen.

Thought Grealish was class today and did deserve a goal.

Great tonight. He’s definitely got it in him and he played with much more conviction tonight.

Hopefully he starts on Saturday as his previous good games this season have often been followed by a spell on the bench.

No. We would need a proper left back for that to happen. When we played away at Spurs at the start of the last campaign, we actually gave him that freedom, with he who cannot be named at left back. That’s one reason why identifying a taller and more powerful left back is so important; Grealish would go from a conservative 7 to an 8-9 in most matches.

It’s tricky because Cancelo is that good and personally think he excels at left back a lot more than he does at right back. And he influences games more from left back too so I doubt we’ll see that change any time soon. I just wish Grealish would be ‘freed’ more often because he’s so dangerous when he is given free roam.

Also out and out left backs seem like needles in a haystack!

He would be the best player at the club for 90% of the teams in Europe.

He could and should score more. But there isn't a better player in world football at getting his team up the pitch. It's not just a coincidence that Jack usually has two or three players in and around him, game after game, which obviously creates space for others.

Just not obvious enough for Southgate. He waited until extra time in Euro final to sub him on when we desperately wanted to move up the pitch. I still cannot get over this...

It’s tricky because Cancelo is that good and personally think he excels at left back a lot more than he does at right back. And he influences games more from left back too so I doubt we’ll see that change any time soon. I just wish Grealish would be ‘freed’ more often because he’s so dangerous when he is given free roam.

100% on the last point. 63m for cucurella would have been crazy given his performances so far for Chelsea in league and tonight

Cancelo gives us a different option, true, but a proper left back can stretch the pitch further and free Grealish to be far more creative and influential, and that’s a higher level of both than Cancelo can offer. We’ve shown this summer past that we no longer buy dross, so no doubt next summer we’ll go through that haystack and find the left back needle we require.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.