10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
absolutely not. why do you think pep played defensive fullbacks and wingers who keep the ball instead of foden. because he was scared shitless of big everton dominating us in transitions.
Whilst I don't agree with his tactic of playing inverted fbs, he plays with inverted fbs against most teams. I also would prefer Foden to play on the left rather than Grealish, but you are well off the mark to say he was scared shitless.

Whether it’s his decision-making or his actual leg speed which is slow, but the number of times v Everton where his crosses or passes were blocked by the defender was noticeable (and frustrating). I’d be good to see him execute the pass, shot, dribble, movement more quickly.

The question I keep asking myself about Jack is what was he specifically signed to do?
His last season at Villa shown plenty of reasons why a top manager would want him in his side, from an average supporters perspective at least. He was dynamic, aggressive, confident and made a lot of positive contribution that usually ended up being crucial to chances that Villa created.

We're just not seeing that at City so what was he signed to do? Was he literally signed because of his ball retention ability with the theory being it'll create more space for Bernardo or KDB? Was he signed because he gets awarded a lot of free kicks in dangerous areas and now we've got Haaland it might be an area of our attacking play we look to utilise more? Was he signed because he's English?

100 million is a huge outlay if the reasons for his signing are either (or a combination) of the 3 and seeing as we've walked away from a number of huge deals once it's got to the point of silly money, it's a really baffling situation.

Pep seems absolutely obsessed with having total control of the game and reducing teams to very few chances and I'm thinking he's been signed to assist with that rather than any dynamism and attacking talent he'd shown at Villa. Or he's just absolutely star struck and literally sinking in a pool with as much talent as we have.

He looks like a very useful player we could bring off the bench in a tight game where we're looking to retain possession and frustrate a team from his time with us so far in my opinion. If that's why he was signed it's fine by me, Peps the boss but it can be really frustrating to watch when we need to score.

Like the combination of Grealish and Mahrez created us the goal in this match?

Rodri made a silly mistake and Stones&Akanji had a shocking defense display but it is Grealish and Mahrez taking the blame.

BRAVO!

Come off it, we conceded one goal and it was an absolute worldie. The problem was that we could only score one goal against one of the shittest teams in the league, not the defence.

Also, when you randomly write one word in every single post in all caps like you're shouting it, it really doesn't make your argument more convincing.

What I see here is that some comments trying to be blind to how awful KDB was vs Everton and how Bernado was off the speed. Stones and Akanji Rodri shocking defense display also gifted them a goal. They just acted like Grealish cost the 2 points which was far from the reality!

Do you not think maybe that's because this is the Grealish thread, so discussion of KDB or Bernardo isn't relevant at all?

Do you not think maybe that's because this is the Grealish thread, so discussion of KDB or Bernardo isn't relevant at all?

I fully agree that this thread should focus on discussing performance related to the player himself. But it is not me starting to drag more and more name into this thread.

Come off it, we conceded one goal and it was an absolute worldie. The problem was that we could only score one goal against one of the shittest teams in the league, not the defence.

Also, when you randomly write one word in every single post in all caps like you're shouting it, it really doesn't make your argument more convincing.

How many times does the opposition team fly down the right hand channel but we cannot stop them this season?

Someone can fall over, get up and still have bags of space in our box for a free shot on goal. No wonder he got a worldie.

We played Lampard's Everton last year as well and we only won 1-0 at 82min. Thanks to their defence made a horrible mistake and the ref did not give Rodri handball a penalty. Truth is City always struggled to break down Lampard's Everton regardless how shit they are facing the other teams...

Last edited:
When Club signed Grealish, we already had enough attackers..

LW -> Foden, Sterling
RW -> Mahrez, Jesus
CF -> Torres.

Plus during that period, there were a lot of discussions about Kane transfer, after that there was interest in Ronaldo.. So City was obviously trying to sign a striker..

Also, there were a lot of rumors about Bernardo and it appeared to be true, cause it's now confirmed that he wanted and wants to go, problem is that, City is asking big money for him and till today, no club was able pay that..

Considering above mentioned situation, it's clear that Jack wasn't signed to play either winger or False9 position, he was signed to play in midfield and actually in his first game, he started as a LCM against Tottenham.. Jack also revealed in a recent interview that he prefers to play in midfield, but as long as Pep is happy he is happy as well :D

A lot of things changed since then.. Nor Kane nor Ronaldo was signed, Bernardo stayed and etc.

But this summer, we have situation when probably Bernardo is gone, Gundo as well. KDB 32..
Our midfield will be -> Rodri, KDB and Phillips.. Even if we sign Bellingham, there still one player will be needed to rotate with KDB, so here I see an opportunity for Jack..

--------Rodri-----------------
------------------Bellinghem
-----KDB----------------------

Phillips -> Rotates with Rodri and Bellinghem
Grealish -> Rotates with KDB and plays regularly due to KDB's age..

Plus, in this system, KDB doesn't have that many defensive duties and is concentrated more on goals / assists. That suits Jack as well..

So, I think, there is still a chance, that Grealish transfer will work out..

I’m starting to think Jack’s problem is that he genuinely doesn’t believe he’s as good as he needs to be, to justify the price tag and his place in the team. There’ve been an alarming number of stories about him already wanting to call it quits, which I hope are tosh. If the self belief isn’t there, the end product isn’t going to emerge, to cap the useful performances.

Pep can say that he’s doing the job he wants, and whilst I like Jack, (particularly the unavoidable desire to perform - the lad clearly cares), there’s only so long you can pay those wages and accept a perfunctory role.

The same situation is arising as arose with Raz, you start to wonder if someone else could offer the same output for less money, or higher output for equivalent money.

I was expecting a second season kick on, as has happened with most of our recent signings, and I hope it arrives soon, but it just hasn’t happened yet. Maybe Jack just needs more time, but the scrutiny and pressure will only continue to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.