10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
didn't he play his first game for us as a cm/cam?
I'd say kalvin has a better shot with us at cm than jack.

Alright, just so we're relatively on the same page.

The problem there is that Jack doesn't provide the energy and defensive workrate of Bernardo and isn't on the same level when it comes to retaining possession in tight spaces.

He also doesn't provide the goal threat, passing ability or proven experience when it comes to dictating tempo as Gundo. Similar to Bernardo, Grealish simply isn't as good in tight spaces in a congested midfield.

I'm not even posting as a criticism of Grealish but we are talking about exceptional players who have years of consistently performing at an incredible standard in midfield for some of the best sides the league has ever seen.

Where does the clamour for Jack to be starting over any of them in midfield come from? It's not based on anything he's done previously for us, he'd be replacing a top quality player and although I understand some people like to get theoretical about it, Pep Guardiola (who really fucking knows how to run a midfield) doesn't appear to even consider it as an option.

Incredible standard for many years - true.

But Bernado is openly advertising himself to other clubs and his performance this season drops from his previous form. Gundo is on the last half year of his contract. We have to find a replacement or change the current system.

If it is Grealish or Foden or another buy, or perhaps Pep changes the system a bit, we don't know. I still prefer Grealish on the left wing than midfield (but with a left back so he does not hug the line).

Sometimes we have to accept the reality that player will get old and some may want to leave. What Bernado and Kev and Gundo displayed in the previous two home games and in the world cup was far from their previous form. I cannot even think of 3 games in a row this season that any of them played in a consistent high level in their standard. It is alarming. It's time to give Foden or Grealish a try and if not working we will buy someone new.

It's time to give Foden or Grealish a try and if not working we will buy someone new.

I agree with most of what you've said but it is absolutely not the time to mix up the midfield in that manner.

It's not worth jeopardising our season just because a player or two might be leaving at the end of the season. They're here now and they're better players with infinitely more experience doing what we need them to do.

I agree with most of what you've said but it is absolutely not the time to mix up the midfield in that manner.

It's not worth jeopardising our season just because a player or two might be leaving at the end of the season. They're here now and they're better players with infinitely more experience doing what we need them to do.
There are opportunities to trial it, though.

Cup matches against lower league opposition (if we ever get the luck of the draw), the last half hour of matches where we're already 3-0 up, etc. Or just set up to be able to switch it around mid-match, for example start Phil in midfield and Bernardo on the wing, if it's flat-out not working just swap them round.

If we lose both Gundo and Bernardo in the summer then our midfield needs a total overhaul. CDM is sorted with Rodri, with cover from Phillips if he can stay fit (if he can't, we need to think about other options there). KDB is a nailed-on starter in every match he's fit for, but he won't always be fit and he'll be 32 - we need the option to rest him.

So we need two players who can play as 8s in Pep's set-up. They need to be technically great, tactically astute, willing to put the hard yards in and have personalities that don't upset the dressing room. They need to hit the ground running in understanding the system, form relationships with each other, with KDB and the forward line.

Bellingham makes sense - promising young player, has played at the highest level already, good relationships with the England boys and with Haaland, which would be a great start. He's a big financial outlay and far from guaranteed to be coming to us as there's a lot of interest from other clubs. But let's assume we get him (or an equally big signing).

We can't get through an entire season on the KDB/Bellingham partnership, so who's our third 8? Bear in mind we've probably spent £100m plus on Jude so another big money signing is unlikely. Possibly we can scout someone decent at a low fee as we did with Akanji this year. Possibly Mcatee returns from his loan and Pep gives him the nod.

If the plan is to use someone from the current squad (presumably Jack, Phil or maybe Cole) then it makes sense to me that we take a potential hit now of giving them some minutes in that position, even if it means we're not playing our best XI, so that they can learn from Bernardo and Gundo and not just be dropped into the position cold next year. The fact we haven't done this suggests it's probably not the plan.

Same question back at you mate, you've made far more posts in this thread then I have all repeating yourself.

Seriously doubt that , but hey if you just have the same stuff to post because of your limited contribution, you are on a loop . Nice input .

Seriously doubt that , but hey if you just have the same stuff to post because of your limited contribution, you are on a loop . Nice input .
Irony and hypocrite come to mind. You've made 24 posts in the last week alone.

You too like some others have appointed themselves jack's internet protector, where any criticism aimed at jack sees you jumping to his defence day after day. And I'm the one in a loop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.