10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Jack play centrally for us?

I doubt it to be honest
Think it's very difficult for a wide player (which Jack has been, while at City) to adapt to a central role.
You have far less time and space than on the flank.
The way City play, by switching sides so quickly, the wide players usually have a lot of time.
The way the opposition press Rodri, you need an unusual talent to cope with it. Don't think Jack could play this role
Phil Foden has the close ball-control and pace to move away from markers, in the middle as a #10.
Not sure if Jack has this level of ability ?

Absolutely desperate for him to be used centrally. If Nunes can get minutes there in certain games (3-0 up) then so can Grealish IMO.

He’s at his best when he can drive with the ball and attract fouls.

I love him out wide too to be fair but Doku has absolutely nailed that place down I think. It depends on what Pep primarily wants - control or attack.

Sounds like it's been a tough season for Jack judging by Sam Lee's latest piece in The Athletic. Has been chatting to Grealish's friends.
Is it Wednesday, just check the calendar because if Lee said it was I need to be absolutely sure. He does embellish things a little and has been known to obfuscate a lot when it comes to anything City related.

Jack Grealish has had a lot to deal with this season, not least the fact that some of our own fans seem to feel he is not up for the role he plays, I am convinced that next season we will see him back to his normal self. He's a great ambassador for the club and will develop more and more through the years I am sure. :-)

really not good to read this. needs to sort his shit out this summer & come back refreshed for August

As a lot of us have said in this thread this season, it sounds like it's just been one thing after another for Jack over the last few months and, because he's quite a sensitive lad, it's all probably hit him harder than it would most players. Started the season injured on and off but got a bit of form together just before Christmas with those three goals in three games (vs. Spurs, Luton and Palace).

But then there was the burglary and the injuries against Copenhagen and Luton, and before you know it we're in March and Pep is nailing down his best XI for the run-in and Jack's not involved. He looked particularly upset by the injury he picked up at Luton in the FA Cup because he knew it was approaching crunchtime and that he wasn't fit. He played well in the 4-2 win at Palace and was involved in all four goals but then he didn't start again for another two weeks.

At that point I imagine he's had a bit of a sulk -- when he was "unwell" before the Fulham game I did wonder whether there was something else going on behind the scenes. Sounds like him and Pep have had words this season -- nothing serious or fatal, but Pep clearly feels he's not applied himself as much as he should have this season. It sounds like Jack gets bored easily when he's not playing football and it's impacted him off the field this year.

Jack said himself after we won the league against West Ham that this has been the hardest time he's had at City, and his relatively muted behaviour at the parade -- compared to last year -- seems to back up that his mood is a bit low. Hope he can get back to his best next season because he really is vital to the best football this team plays. Winning four on the trot is unbelievable but you wonder if we'd have another trophy right now if Jack had stayed fit.

I do have hope for him next season because he'll have something to prove, and we saw what good that did him last season. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea in terms of what he brings to the team going forward, but his workrate and desire can't really be questioned when he's feeling good. Shame to not have seen the best of him again this season but you just have to hope a summer with England and coming back fresh will reinvigorate him.

Last edited:
really not good to read this. needs to sort his shit out this summer & come back refreshed for August

He's almost 30 and still acting like this. We have cut kids in their 20's loose for having attitude problems. This Grealish situation has to be Pep’s biggest challenge as a manager.

hope he can perform at high level next season as lot more games to come, another season like this one will finish his City career imo.
not sure how hungry he really was for more trophies after the treble. was it a bit like this is it, treble, what else there is to win on top of all the injuries he struggled with.
while younger players already winning more than him (Foden, Alvarez) kind of carried us in first half of season when KDB was gone, Gundo left etc.

would have loved Grealish step up after Mahrez, Gundo left, and take even more responsibility but kind of went the other way and he did not really have 3 good games in a row all season.

next season is huge for him, and it start for him at pre-season and even in his off weeks, he cannot drink 24/7 he has to arrive at pre season already with a different mentality.
wonder if its better for him not to be selected for the Euros and just relax few weeks then start training on his own before pre-season and then complete a brutal pre-season. he aint gonna start many games anyway for England imo, not in his current form anyway. could be one of the players Southgate will still cut...
still two friendlies to play so he will be looked at I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.