10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think i finally get it With Jack. Its not about driving at defenders, its not about personal stats or glory. Its about possession, relentless recycled possession. Yes it boring. Yes he sometimes over does it when hes isolated the defender in a 1v1 And he passes back. But just look at our record when he plays.

It clicked when Doku came on and immediately ran at his defender, got a yard on him and centered it with his left foot to……no one. Huddersfield defender easily intercepted it and played a ball in the channel. Lucky Gvardiol just beat the winger to it or they were away.

exactly like the 3-3, 4-4 games weve had. Doku will bring goals, but we concede them too. For the big games it has to be Grealish for me. Doku as an impact sub or if were chasing it and need penetration.
The only time they looked like scoring was when that boring endless sideways backwards possession at 0-0 meant we were compressed into their final third. As soon as we lost possession they were on the break. Better teams punish us for that.

This might be true, Grealish is a defensive winger, Like Dirk Kuyt,Valencia Park Ji Sung, his main role isn't G/As. I agree that in big games Grealish might get the nod because Peps main thing is control. However if we have the added protection of Stones playing alongside Rodri is prefer to see Doku start ahead of Jack.

I dont think Doku is the reason we concede more. He doesn't lose the ball in bad areas, most of the time its either a cross/pass/shot in the final third and to be honest thats what a winger should Do, trying to create/take risk/make things happen.

againts low-blocks he should always start, in bigger games if he can improve his end-product I think he starts too, until then it will be rotation with Jack.
Agree at the moment Grealish will probably start the big games although with a little improvement Doku could become undroppable. Disagree that Doku has struggled in big games. Against Arsenal he didn’t start. Chelsea fair enough James played him well but the whole team were poor and Grealish gave us no more control in the half hour he was on. Against Spurs he actually played more like Grealish not dribbling as much and retaining possession. He still set up the first goal, was really unlucky not to score a gem when he hit the inside of the post and went off injured early in the 2nd half. The game you’ve not mentioned is Liverpool where he was superb.

Agree about Grealish playing centrally but it’s not going to happen. He’s been here 2 and a half years and not played in the middle. With KDB and Haaland to come back even Foden might not play centrally on a regular basis. So Jack no chance of suddenly moving there. Doku on the right is the other option to get then both in.

The only time they looked like scoring was when that boring endless sideways backwards possession at 0-0 meant we were compressed into their final third. As soon as we lost possession they were on the break. Better teams punish us for that.
That's how we've played for years now, don't seem to have been punished that much.

He will never score as many goals as people want him to. But what some people seem unable to grasp is that every time he starts, he attracts opposition players which helps create space for others to do the damage. He's not flashy for us like he was for Villa, but in many games he's worth his weight in gold for us. Seeing as him and Doku couldn't be much different to each other, it's a perfect pair to rotate depending on the opposition.

I think i finally get it With Jack. Its not about driving at defenders, its not about personal stats or glory. Its about possession, relentless recycled possession. Yes it boring. Yes he sometimes over does it when hes isolated the defender in a 1v1 And he passes back. But just look at our record when he plays.

It clicked when Doku came on and immediately ran at his defender, got a yard on him and centered it with his left foot to……no one. Huddersfield defender easily intercepted it and played a ball in the channel. Lucky Gvardiol just beat the winger to it or they were away.

exactly like the 3-3, 4-4 games weve had. Doku will bring goals, but we concede them too. For the big games it has to be Grealish for me. Doku as an impact sub or if were chasing it and need penetration.
Welcome to the club!

Grealish is the wonderful logical endpoint of Pep's decision to play Gundogan on the right-wing at Anfield in 2018. It obviously didn't work on that occasion because Gundogan's capabilities are best shown off in the centre. But Pep has always wanted someone in the final third who can really put their foot on the ball, recycle moves intelligently, and keep things simmering so we're always starting new attacks right outside the opposition penalty area. He was our third best player in the second half of last season, and was picked for all the crunch games, precisely because (as much as I thought he was good during the 21/22) he suddenly hit an absolutely phenomenal run of form where everything Pep wanted from him suddenly clicked. He rode that wave all the way to a treble.

I praise him week-in-week-out, but I thought he wasn't all that today. A healthy competition with Doku will sort that out, though.
I thought Gomes got in his way a lot of the time, would have liked to see him play more centrally to see what he could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.