10% of Rags want City to win the derby

Sad Pie said:
james1910 said:
about 20 years we beat leeds 4-0 at maine rd
none off us knew what to do as from the look off it we had given the rags the pot!!!
but as we all hate leeds and leeds the rags fucked it up anyway!!
but never ever ever will i wish to lost to them!!!
I remember being at that game with Lancet Fluke, mixed emotions, nah. It was a game we wanted to win despite the consequences. I'm sure that was when Leeds ripped out all the seats.
The rags don't know what they want, arguing in the ranks, it's lovely isn't it
Totally agree mate. The Kippax was rocking that day. No mixed feelings at all.

the old abbey said:
jimharri said:
the old abbey said:
Please stop saying the tame word rags.call em filth call em scum.but rags? Its a shite word that there laughing at.get a grip.
I usually use the word ''vermin''. It has a ring to it.
That's better jimmi
But to quote the dictionary, I think it does fit nicely:
rag1 [rag] Show IPA
noun
a worthless piece of cloth, especially one that is torn or worn.
rags, ragged or tattered clothing: The tramp was dressed in rags.
any article of apparel regarded deprecatingly or self-deprecatingly, especially a dress: It's just an old rag I had in the closet.
a shred, scrap, or fragmentary bit of anything.
Informal.
a.
something of very low value or in very poor condition.

Yes I think I shall still use the term Rag

Sad Pie said:
the old abbey said:
jimharri said:
That's better jimmi
But to quote the dictionary, I think it does fit nicely:
rag1 [rag] Show IPA
noun
a worthless piece of cloth, especially one that is torn or worn.
rags, ragged or tattered clothing: The tramp was dressed in rags.
any article of apparel regarded deprecatingly or self-deprecatingly, especially a dress: It's just an old rag I had in the closet.
a shred, scrap, or fragmentary bit of anything.
Informal.
a.
something of very low value or in very poor condition.

Yes I think I shall still use the term Rag

how about something of low value AND in very poor condition?

jimharri said:
the old abbey said:
Please stop saying the tame word rags.call em filth call em scum.but rags? Its a shite word that there laughing at.get a grip.

Am I right in saying,it was actually themselves who knicknamed themselves rags........many years ago?

Hey! League of Ireland may be shit, but it's OUR shit! :)
mad4city said:
KippaxCitizen said:
I've always thought it would have been more of an Irish thing for United fans to hate Liverpool the most. They're like local rivals over there, there's that many of them glory hunting both clubs from there.

Very true. All my life, I've put up with these pricks. They're the Jedwards of supporters, Tweedledum and Tweedledumber. The sort of football fans who won't go to a League of Ireland match "because it's boring". F**kers who have no concept of going out on a wet Sunday to watch a junior or a schoolboy match - or a dry Sunday for that matter. In other words, people who like winning but don't actually give a f**k about football. Patronising gits who'll look you in the eye and ask 'why would you support City?'. Or, 'I hope ye can do us a favour against so & so next week' (God, how I love shovelling that one back into them nowadays!). Or - and this really does take some beating - the twat who cheered on City on the day Anelka scored twice at Anfield because 'City are like our B team!'.
He never made that mistake again.

I must know thousands of United and Liverpool "supporters" - and many who support either plus Celtic and there's about five of them that I'd actually talk football with. There's alwaysthe obsession with themselves and their evil twin, with any of the other lot. It always comes down to 'who do you support when United play Liverpool?' - as if I'm obliged to give a shit. My answer, by the way? 'Al Qaeda, mate.'

And breathe...

How could you ever in the position they're. In ever want to lose to city. I could never ever want us to lose to those fucking scum bags no matter what was riding on the outcome. Hate the fuckers. If they. We're playing the taliban I'd want em to lose! Fucking arseholes

samharris said:
Wilf Wild 1937 said:
I've just been over to Red Café and they unbelievably are running a poll on who they want to win tomorrow.
A lot of them are so obsessed by Liverpool and the 20 title thing that they are quite happy for us to win the title,
although they'd prefer Chelsea. I thought this deserved a thread of it's own. Personally I could never ever imagine
any circumstances when I'd want City to lose a derby. I'd be interested in others thoughts.

Not proper fans..

For some reason, it seems they have developed a love for Mourinho and Chelsea. Is it only because Mou gave them Mata or is there something more to it?

vmsuhail said:
samharris said:
Wilf Wild 1937 said:
I've just been over to Red Café and they unbelievably are running a poll on who they want to win tomorrow.
A lot of them are so obsessed by Liverpool and the 20 title thing that they are quite happy for us to win the title,
although they'd prefer Chelsea. I thought this deserved a thread of it's own. Personally I could never ever imagine
any circumstances when I'd want City to lose a derby. I'd be interested in others thoughts.

Not proper fans..

For some reason, it seems they have developed a love for Mourinho and Chelsea. Is it only because Mou gave them Mata or is there something more to it?
They see Chelsea as the only ''acceptable'' side to stop us winning the league; Liverpool are not an option for them.

SPIDERBOY said:
jimharri said:
the old abbey said:

Am I right in saying,it was actually themselves who knicknamed themselves rags........many years ago?

From Gary James - Manchester the Greatest City

It appears the name was given to them by their own fans.

During the 1930-31 season, United were in a wretched state. The club teetered on the brink of bankruptcy and were attracting crowds of less than 4,000 for some games - despite still being in Division 1.

Harry Hughes, a City fan working in Trafford, tells this story:

“I worked in Trafford then, and all the locals were United fans. I was working nights and when Saturday morning arrived a couple of them asked ‘are you going to see the Rags today?’ I didn’t know what that meant, and then they explained that United fans had started to call their own team the ‘Rags’ because they were so poor and that their kit looked liked rags. So after that I knew who they meant, but when I mentioned the Rags, they’d go, ‘who the Hell are you talking about?’ They didn’t like the opposition saying it.”

The poor level of support continued throughout the 1930s. When war broke out in 1939 an immediate ban was placed on the assembly of large crowds. The joke doing the rounds in Manchester was that United would have nothing to worry about.

I'm not disputing GJ but my Gran always said they were called the RAGS because they qualified for a final and couldn't afford a new kit so (once again) they came cap in hand to City and we either loaned them a kit or paid for one from our kit suppliers who made it from offcuts and remnants

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.