11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

His ability to get past one defender means he's continuing the approach of trying to carry the ball past the opposition even when they put 2 or 3 players on him.

With maturity he'll understand better when it makes sense to take on the defender/s and when it's more beneficial to exploit the space they've vacated by passing to an unmarked teammate.

He's a young player adjusting to the team and the league. He'll get there.

Rating players means looking for strengths and weaknesses.

I'd say his main strength is his pace over the first few yards/metres. To use that advantage he always has to get defenders to hold - with the disadvantage that it's breaking any speedy movement.

His pace sadly is limited to those first yards, he is nothing special over a longer sprint, his short legs just don't help.

His finish is'nt great, his crosses not special, his defensive behaviour is worse compared to Jack, Bobb and Nunes.

His dribblings towards midfield are sometimes uncontrolled and useless when a simple crisp pass would be best. Losing the ball with our insane high line is a problem.

And often being doubled for his explosive pace he logically seems to have no clue what he should do next to get behind those 2.

All that doesn't read too well but indeed that's how I currently see him. And sorry, all of that has nothing to do with "first City season", it's his football ability.

Some say he'd be stronger on RW and that would be my next idea too to develop his contributions to team success. I give him more time but yeah I have doubts if we can develop him to the top level we need.

Very fair analysis.

I have to admit I was shocked when I first saw him run over a longer distance, how slow he was.

I also do think you have missed it can be very good at threading short balls on the edge of the box into players runs.

He has something (that explosiveness over a few yards) that is virtually impossible to defend against 1 v 1.

It’s up to Pep to make that weapon useful and to supplement his all round game.

Very fair analysis.

I have to admit I was shocked when I first saw him run over a longer distance, how slow he was.

I also do think you have missed it can be very good at threading short balls on the edge of the box into players runs.

He has something (that explosiveness over a few yards) that is virtually impossible to defend against 1 v 1.

It’s up to Pep to make that weapon useful and to supplement his all round game.
We should put him on VVD. His not being dribbled past stat would disappear sharpish.

Seriously, he might be better a little bit further infield. It’s harder to double up on him when its centre backs doing it, unless you leave Haaland free.

We should put him on VVD. His not being dribbled past stat would disappear sharpish.

Seriously, he might be better a little bit further infield. It’s harder to double up on him when its centre backs doing it, unless you leave Haaland free.
Think that was Pep’s plan first half at Newcastle. Didn’t really work on the day but wouldn’t be surprised to see him try it again in the future

Think that was Pep’s plan first half at Newcastle. Didn’t really work on the day but wouldn’t be surprised to see him try it again in the future
True. Think the issue there was more Gvardiol and Walker being too high at times, along with Walker’s decision making in the day!

If he plays at Anfield ...... gonna need more medication.

I think some are being too critical and expectant of the lad. One for the future for sure.
I think a lot of that is to temper down the over the top plaudits that he was getting after his first few games.

My personal view is that I've not seen enough from him yet to believe that he can go up another notch and become a huge asset for us over the course of the season.

Clearly I hope I'm wrong, which is normally the case.

I think a lot of that is to temper down the over the top plaudits that he was getting after his first few games.

My personal view is that I've not seen enough from him yet to believe that he can go up another notch and become a huge asset for us over the course of the season.

Clearly I hope I'm wrong, which is normally the case.
You're not.
But hope springs eternal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.