11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with most of that in terms of teams are much more wise to him. However, he was actually very good against Liverpool
He had a lot of success in dribbling but at the same time Klopp managed to neutralize his effort quite well.

Klopp put TAA into midfield marking Bernado and left a lot of space (and sometimes some dummy midfielder as a bait) for Doku to dribble into knowing his weakness in passing. Masterclasses. There was one or two cases doku made a good pass but as long as Halaand being marked it meant nothing.

He had a lot of success in dribbling but at the same time Klopp managed to neutralize his effort quite well.

Klopp put TAA into midfield marking Bernado and left a lot of space (and sometimes some dummy midfielder as a bait) for Doku to dribble into knowing his weakness in passing. Masterclasses. There was one or two cases doku made a good pass but as long as Halaand being marked it meant nothing.
That last sentence sums up our problems right now.

Christ, some of the comments about him here are laughable.

It’s his first season, only 21 and instead of being gradually put into the team, he made himself undroppable early on and has been fairly consistent ever since. He’s been fantastic and has more than enough credit in the bank for a few bad moments.

Oddly the comments started after Chelsea (especially the daft **** who sits behind me at games who treated him like a make a wish kid when he came on against Brentford), but he was actually brilliant in that game and created more than enough openings that we just didn’t finish. He’s that relentless he has countless runs at his defender every game so not every single one will work - unless you’re Messi or prime Neymar.

Lower expectations a bit (for now) and just enjoy seeing a proper winger legging it as his man and having fun.

The problem isn't Doku, problem is that people lost the sense of hierarchy..

We have 100m treble-winner winger in Grealish, who earns 300K per week and has proven himself as a stable player throughout the entire 2022 / 2023 season. He is pro and should always be regarded as a regular starter...

Doku is 21 years old young player, who has proven nothing and who needs time to learn & become stable deliver of results.. Therefore he should be regarded as a valuable squad player, who is used during rotations or injury situations..

We have a lot of players like that.
Haaland, KDB, Foden, Bernardo & Grealish are our regular starters..
Julian, Doku, Bobb, Kovacic, Matheus are our bench / reserve players..

Same applies to
Ederson, Walker, Stones, Ruben, Ake, Rodri
and
Akanji, Guardiol, Rico, Gomez and Ortega

if we look from that perspective, Doku is a great addition, young & talented player, who can be rotated with regular starters whenever needed..
Hmmm

Christ, some of the comments about him here are laughable.

It’s his first season, only 21 and instead of being gradually put into the team, he made himself undroppable early on and has been fairly consistent ever since. He’s been fantastic and has more than enough credit in the bank for a few bad moments.

Oddly the comments started after Chelsea (especially the daft **** who sits behind me at games who treated him like a make a wish kid when he came on against Brentford), but he was actually brilliant in that game and created more than enough openings that we just didn’t finish. He’s that relentless he has countless runs at his defender every game so not every single one will work - unless you’re Messi or prime Neymar.

Lower expectations a bit (for now) and just enjoy seeing a proper winger legging it as his man and having fun.
He's had a fairly standard start for an exciting young winger. Amazing for a while, then everyone realises how dangerous he is and gives him extra attention, so he's less effective for a while. It's now up to him to be able to adapt his game to show that he's genuinely class and can deal with the extra attention he gets. If he can do that, he'll probably become a world class player. If he can't, he'll end up being a bit-part player.

Rating players means looking for strengths and weaknesses.

I'd say his main strength is his pace over the first few yards/metres. To use that advantage he always has to get defenders to hold - with the disadvantage that it's breaking any speedy movement.

His pace sadly is limited to those first yards, he is nothing special over a longer sprint, his short legs just don't help.

His finish is'nt great, his crosses not special, his defensive behaviour is worse compared to Jack, Bobb and Nunes.

His dribblings towards midfield are sometimes uncontrolled and useless when a simple crisp pass would be best. Losing the ball with our insane high line is a problem.

And often being doubled for his explosive pace he logically seems to have no clue what he should do next to get behind those 2.

All that doesn't read too well but indeed that's how I currently see him. And sorry, all of that has nothing to do with "first City season", it's his football ability.

Some say he'd be stronger on RW and that would be my next idea too to develop his contributions to team success. I give him more time but yeah I have doubts if we can develop him to the top level we need.

I mean it just looks like he's following the path of a lot of others in the Pep era.

They look really good at first, but then we spend a few months arguing if they're all that.

The other players on this path usually put any doubts to bed in the second season. I don't see why Doku wouldn't be similar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.