#11 | Oleksandr Zinchenko - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like so many of our players Zin has improved beyond measure. They have all been pushed to reach the highest possible standards. This is what happens when you have a genius at developing players like Pep in charge. You would have to question the ambition of any player that didn't want to play for Pep. Zin has shown great spirit and character to stay the course.

Zinchenko will probably never earn the recognition he deserves , having witnessed the best left back in the world (why are all Dippers considered best in the world ?) get torn to pieces by Phil last Sunday , i cannot think of a winger who has comprehensively embarrased Zinchenko in recent memory. Always considered Zinchenko a squad player , but if i had to pick our best eleven right now , he would be our left back without a doubt.

Zinchenko will probably never earn the recognition he deserves

Like Pep says, you earn recognition by stability..

He was phenomenal in the second half of 2018 / 2019 season, but when we were expecting a big improvement last year - he didn't show anything and for the whole year we were watching Mendy's failures, disgusting first touches and etc.

I remember Zabaleta started 2010 / 2011 season as the third choice Right Back - after Richards and Boateng, who during that period played as the Right Back as well. But after 3 seasons - he was the player of the year, because of his consistency and stability.

Same applies to Zinchenko here, if he plays like that for 2-3 seasons - then he will get that recognition. If he 'hides' again in the next season, then there is nothing to talk about.

Like Pep says, you earn recognition by stability..

He was phenomenal in the second half of 2018 / 2019 season, but when we were expecting a big improvement last year - he didn't show anything and for the whole year we were watching Mendy's failures, disgusting first touches and etc.

I remember Zabaleta started 2010 / 2011 season as the third choice Right Back - after Richards and Boateng, who during that period played as the Right Back as well. But after 3 seasons - he was the player of the year, because of his consistency and stability.

Same applies to Zinchenko here, if he plays like that for 2-3 seasons - then he will get that recognition. If he 'hides' again in the next season, then there is nothing to talk about.

I went through a stage of not rating Zaba. I thought he was slow, a red card waiting to happen and Micah was miles ahead of him. Just shows you if a player puts the hard work in, they can go under the radar and quietly become a reliable player. Zinchenko has a lot of similarities to Zaba, just we haven’t seen Zin walk around with blood on his shirt yet.

I went through a stage of not rating Zaba. I thought he was slow, a red card waiting to happen and Micah was miles ahead of him. Just shows you if a player puts the hard work in, they can go under the radar and quietly become a reliable player. Zinchenko has a lot of similarities to Zaba, just we haven’t seen Zin walk around with blood on his shirt yet.
Zinchenko is nothing at all like Zaba in defense - Zaba was awesome on defense while still delivering on offense.

Zinchenko is, IMO, a liability on defense - against many right backs he'll fail to stop crosses - against very good right backs, he'll do worse still, letting the opposing RB beat him and move towards goal.

I'd much rather see Laporte or Ake play LB for us - they're much, much more solid in defense.

Moreover, I view a quality left wing back as our second most important area of upgrade - behind stiker. Job one next window - sign Haaland.

Job 2 - sign a top left wing back.

Bonus - Messi.

Zinchenko is nothing at all like Zaba in defense - Zaba was awesome on defense while still delivering on offense.

Zinchenko is, IMO, a liability on defense - against many right backs he'll fail to stop crosses - against very good right backs, he'll do worse still, letting the opposing RB beat him and move towards goal.

I'd much rather see Laporte or Ake play LB for us - they're much, much more solid in defense.
All good fullbacks getting beaten once or twice, it can’t be avoided against a very good winger. Zinchenko has been the victim of many decent wingers because he’s never actually been a natural LB. So he’s got a bit of reputation for not being able to defend from that. He’s got better though and he’s worked hard, pep obviously trusts him. Our defence is already solid with Zinchenko in it, just look at our defensive record. He also offers much more on the ball than Laporte or Ake does.

All good fullbacks getting beaten once or twice, it can’t be avoided against a very good winger. Zinchenko has been the victim of many decent wingers because he’s never actually been a natural LB. So he’s got a bit of reputation for not being able to defend from that. He’s got better though and he’s worked hard, pep obviously trusts him. Our defence is already solid with Zinchenko in it, just look at our defensive record. He also offers much more on the ball than Laporte or Ake does.
WIth due respect - I completely disagree. Zinchenko is a huge liability on defense against a quality RB.

I like his effort - and on offense he's OK-ish; not at all great though.

As someone available to fill out the squad against non top-notch opposition - Zinchenko is the man.

Against quality opposition - I hate it when Zinchenko is in our side - we're giving up a lot of defense on our left side; in compensation we're gaining OK-ish offense. Not at all a good tradeoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.