#11 | Oleksandr Zinchenko - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our No1 LB, his season is getting better by the week, top quality and the improvement of his defensive side is superb.

This is a guy who genuinely deserves increased terms, not Mr Sterling.

He's such a smart and selfless player. Positionally, he moves around to get the best out of those around him and covers for others. He did it against Leeds to allow Mendy to make central runs and he seemed to be playing higher in the second half which helped free Foden after Phil got double marked throughout the first.

Obviously, credit goes to the manager for making changes at half time but there are moments during the game when he makes adjustments instinctively.

Hopefully Cancelo doesn't get rotated LB anymore, for both players sakes'.

I still wouldn't be surprised if the club was looking at somebody like Nuno Mendes who could do Zinchenko's role also, and is 6 years younger. Zinchenko can also easily slot in midfield.

Would mean the club doesn't have to rotate Cancelo, Ake, Laporte also.

Glad to see the love for him on here. A really underrated player who seems to get criticised just because of the widely held media perception that we’ve always struggled in the left back position - wrongly in my eyes.

He’s instrumental in keeping the ball moving up and down the left flank, he has so many touches and is always available for a pass. He takes responsibility in the final third often trying tight passes or little one twos rather than just moving it on. Defensively he’s got some nous about him, he’s good in the tackle, he’s got decent pace.

What’s not to love

Little Kev is a keeper... Offers so much in his general play. Has got better at reading balls over the top and is rarely caught out. Now trust him to receive in tight spaces and find an out ball. A great player growing in stature.

Looked shaky first 20 minutes but I think the reason for that is that he's breaking in on his new (maybe top) level and this may be painful sometimes. So if this continues he won't be perceived as a 1 mil player but as a someone who's completely on par with the club (maybe best in Europe right now).

Glad to see the love for him on here. A really underrated player who seems to get criticised just because of the widely held media perception that we’ve always struggled in the left back position - wrongly in my eyes.

He’s instrumental in keeping the ball moving up and down the left flank, he has so many touches and is always available for a pass. He takes responsibility in the final third often trying tight passes or little one twos rather than just moving it on. Defensively he’s got some nous about him, he’s good in the tackle, he’s got decent pace.

What’s not to love
I do honestly think he wasn't too great as a defender previously. Not bad, but limited for obvious reasons. But what must be said was then he was a 21-22 year old attacking midfielder being played out of position.

Now though, it's clear he's a much more sophisticated player out of possession. The big development is that he's taken a Fernandinho-esque turn and now he's much, much stronger in the tackle and noticeably less vulnerable aerially. He reads the game better and is caught out of position less frequently too. Combine this with his many improvements elsewhere and you can't help but admire the devlopment.

Apparently he has a very impressive work ethic, so the fact he's hung on and established himself as a valuable squad member is really great. He could be here a long time yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.