11 | Oleksandr Zinchenko - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gift that keeps on giving. I can’t find the right words to give him the praise he deserves for finding such a high level of form in such a short space of time with such a shadow hanging over the poor lad.

I think @Xhavenjoe summed it up perfectly with “the Ukrainian Zabaleta”. There’s no higher praise for a City fullback than that.

I just wish Pep would give him a game or two in midfield.

It's where he plays for Ukraine, Pep said int he prematch presser that he's a midfielder...so why not give him a go!? Rodri and Bernardo have been run into the ground at times this season, Gundogan is struggling for fitness, we're all terrified KDB might get injured again and Zinchenko has mostly been sitting on the bench twiddling his thumbs because Cancelo+Walker have been so good at fullback.

We have a great player who above all looks after possession really well, and it feels like Pep has really pigeon-holed him into "back up LB".

It's where he plays for Ukraine, Pep said int he prematch presser that he's a midfielder...so why not give him a go!? Rodri and Bernardo have been run into the ground at times this season, Gundogan is struggling for fitness, we're all terrified KDB might get injured again and Zinchenko has mostly been sitting on the bench twiddling his thumbs because Cancelo+Walker have been so good at fullback.

We have a great player who above all looks after possession really well, and it feels like Pep has really pigeon-holed him into "back up LB".

I wonder if his great attitude makes it easier for Pep to consign him to that role because I seem to remember Pep talking about Foden (I think) in a press conference and basically stating that he made the decision to leave him out easier because Phil wasn't banging on his office door and demanding more minutes.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but Zinchenko's selflessness is what makes him such a vital part of the squad and it might actually be hindering his opportunities.

Regardless, it would have been good to see him used more in midfield earlier in the season to at least keep others fresh. Probably a bit too late this time but might be worth a shout after the summer break.

Love the guy to bits mate, but nowhere near good enough to be one of our 8’s

What does that even mean? Not good enough to start ahead of Bernardo Silva and KDB in a big game all things being equal? Obviously.

If you're saying he's not capable of playing some games there or coming on as a sub, I don't know what player you've been watching for the last 3 years.

Have you watched the highlights of his performance in midfield for the Ukrainian national team? He is even better in midfield than he is at fullback. If we are going to put Zinch up against our midfielders, I would say he totally outclasses Grealish.

Perhaps, but he wouldn‘t necessarily have to play as an 8. Stick him alongside Rodri, and have De Bruyne (or Grealish, or Foden) play ahead of them. I think he‘s good enough to do a job in there when we need to rest 1 or 2 of the big guns.

Brilliant zinchy , be really pissed off if he gets dropped for joao, he is much safer option defending and we created a lot of chances anyway , joao would have left huge gaps on the left and we had enough probs on the right in that regard

Brilliant zinchy , be really pissed off if he gets dropped for joao, he is much safer option defending and we created a lot of chances anyway , joao would have left huge gaps on the left and we had enough probs on the right in that regard
I would think that Cancelo at least in the next game will be on the right with Zinchenko on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.