#14 | Aymeric Laporte - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be a huge blow. We’ve currently got 3 great centre halves for 2 slots during around a 60 game season. Pretty poor if the tinker man can’t manage to keep the 3 happy because the drop off from those 3 to Ake or beyond that with 2 injured is absolutely huge.
It would have been perfectly fine if we still had Denayer+Tosin. But we managed to sell them for about 25% of Ake. I hope we don't make the same mistake with THB.

The way I see if Laporte stays he will still get at least 25 games minimum in a team that regularly gets far in all competitions and that is something he will not get anywhere else but if he wants to be a he number 1 defender here then he should leave because that will not happen. If he was to go we would still have to bring in a top class defender to rotate as I don’t think ake is that man ( maybe this is where Ramos comes in ).

Not according to the facts on tape. Your assumptions about Stones fragilities are just that, assumptions.

Here's what's factual... Stones at his best (which was most of this season and a 2 month period 2 seasons ago) is better than Laporte"s best. That's just fact.

But I agree. I hope we keep Laporte. We were lucky with injuries at the CB position this season. Especially to the 2 best CBs ( by that I mean Dias and Stones). We may not be so lucky next season. So having Laporte as a 3rd superbly capable CB is key.

Not to mention, Stones has sometimes struggle to find his form AFTER injury. So best to have a 3rd CB almost as good, to take over if either or even Dias lose form. Which is quite possible.

All that said, on the totality of evidence, Stones and Dias are better CB than Laporte. All 3 are great. And I hope they are all here next season
Sorry, but what are these facts on tape ? You can analyse a players performance in terms of tackles, passing, errors made..these are facts and happy to discuss them.. but even then, you can not quantify a persons mentality, problems in their home life, a desire to win, a desire to stay at the club, as these are seen on the training ground and in conversations with Pep..he clearly feels Stones is the better option now and there must be a very good reason for that..we all have opinions, mine is that Laporte is better than Stones, that Stones has more of a tendency to errors under pressure, but the concern is surely getting rid of Laporte will weaken us with the alternatives being discussed.

It's pretty simple really he got injured then Stones and Dias were outstanding and kept their places. He will get an opportunity sooner rather than later and its upto him to take it although I'm pretty sure he won't be here next season unfortunately.

I thought you were going to point me to some facts and figures

It's quite literally his opinion - lol.

People have very short memories. It wasn't too long ago that Laporte was one of our most important players, and considered one of the top three centre halves in the world.
Yes it is . Albeit, the numbers and stats back it up though.

Again, that Laporte was our best defender 2 seasons ago when John was injured every 10 seconds and out of form after returning from injury doesn't change the fact here.

What most also seem to forget was that there was a 1 month period of partnership before John's original injury in which John was also the better of the John/Laporte partnership.

Again, folks always underestimate how good John can get when he's on his game. What he lacked and Laporte had, was health and consistency. Bur Laporte too has shown health fragility. Plus a loss of form after returning from injury.

But somehow, Laporte's loss of form is understandably attributed to his injuries but John's is considered indicative of his character.

Well we've seen a whole season of injury free form from John. And it's spectacular!

Sorry, but what are these facts on tape ? You can analyse a players performance in terms of tackles, passing, errors made..these are facts and happy to discuss them.. but even then, you can not quantify a persons mentality, problems in their home life, a desire to win, a desire to stay at the club, as these are seen on the training ground and in conversations with Pep..he clearly feels Stones is the better option now and there must be a very good reason for that..we all have opinions, mine is that Laporte is better than Stones, that Stones has more of a tendency to errors under pressure, but the concern is surely getting rid of Laporte will weaken us with the alternatives being discussed.
You have this whole season as evidence of Stones capacity. As far as fragility is concerned, Laporte has shown similar lev's with consistent errors in key games over the last 3 seasons.

So neither is above mistakes. But Stones is a better all round footballer. And yes I agree, the stats for defenders especially in a possession heavy team like ours are hard to quantify:

But to avoid any doubt:
John was better at every conceivable stat

Tackles, %of tackles won, interceptions, blocks, #of times dribble, fouls committed etc Let me be clear, John was better on every single metric. Not some, not most, but ALL of them.

But I agree stats isn't every here, especially when the difference isn't gigantic. Like .7 vs .5 dribbled per game says little.

I was simply trying not to be pedantic. Statistically it's one-sided. All John. Laporte has never had a season as good as this one John just had. On the basis of that, I judge John the better player when everyone is at their best.

Would be a huge blow. We’ve currently got 3 great centre halves for 2 slots during around a 60 game season. Pretty poor if the tinker man can’t manage to keep the 3 happy because the drop off from those 3 to Ake or beyond that with 2 injured is absolutely huge.
Which is fine, i just don't see him wanting to hang around and wait for a chance

Should do our best to keep him, players of that ability and left footed are hard to come by, his treatment by the ‘genius’ hasn’t helped matters though.

He was managed exactly like Sane, so I would not be surprised to see him gone. And I will not blame him for doing so. Playing Garcia and Ake before him was crazy. Buying Ake for 40 mil and letting Tosin leave for 1 mil was crazy. Big summer ahead.
I think Ake was bought to be laporte's back up. The idea at the end of the transfer window would have been dias and laporte to be first choice then Ake and stones/garcia as back ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.