#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a collective. Rodri can’t be magnificent when we win and it not be partly his fault when we lose.
I don't think Rodri's performances really change, its the team around him. If KDB and Gundogan play like they did yesterday then Rodri is still doing his job. If KDB and Gundogan arent then you get situations like the spuds game where we are all over the shop because Rodri is expected to be 3 players at the same time.

You might be correct but we are a quarter of the way through this season and we sit 5th in the table. We have only won 50% of our games and thanks to some very kind fixture scheduling yesterday was the 1st time we have won back-to-back prem games this season. It’s a whole two weeks since the Spurs shit-show. I just think it’s a little premature to be lauding Rodri as the 2nd coming because he has turned it on against Burnley (who he was great against last season with our shit defence) and Fulham. I hope/pray that he has turned a corner but games against this level of opposition will not give us the answer.

Rodri hasn't turned a corner and he won't be turning any corners that he can't get round. He's a very good player who has specific strengths and some weaknesses that won't change. Actually, I'd say he doesn't have much in the way of weakness other than being a big lad and not a little whippet.

He is a young player so he has scope to improve his game but he is blessed with excellent technique. The key thing he will need to work on is his positioning and reading of the game from a defensive point of view to make-up for his lack of acceleration. I happen to think he makes a few too many floaty passes but, if I am right, that can be addressed.

In the Premier League in particular, he may be best utilised as part of a central midfield two, as he is currently doing. So, yes, we need to see more games with that formation to know how well that is going to work but the signs are encouraging that Pep has found the formula for the current set of players he has.

You might be correct but we are a quarter of the way through this season and we sit 5th in the table. We have only won 50% of our games and thanks to some very kind fixture scheduling yesterday was the 1st time we have won back-to-back prem games this season. It’s a whole two weeks since the Spurs shit-show. I just think it’s a little premature to be lauding Rodri as the 2nd coming because he has turned it on against Burnley (who he was great against last season with our shit defence) and Fulham. I hope/pray that he has turned a corner but games against this level of opposition will not give us the answer.
Giving credit where it's due falls far short of lauding anyone as the 2nd coming.

Giving credit where it's due falls far short of lauding anyone as the 2nd coming.
"Why can't I give over the top criticism?! It's a forum I should be entitled to say these things!. Anyway stop praising people we shouldn't do that on here"

And so on.

"Why can't I give over the top criticism?! It's a forum I should be entitled to say these things!. Anyway stop praising people we shouldn't do that on here"

And so on.
Apparently I am a member of the "thought police" to quote a poster who has made a 180 turn on Rodri in recent weeks.
We must all try to be angry and ruthless in our posts, or else face damnation.

You come across as somebody who will be delighted if your point is proven rather than him doing as well as he is.
No, I'm not just going to say it's fixed because he had 2 decent games against teams you'd expect him to be dominant and comfortable against. It's hardly a marker, when push comes to shove and he's been asked to cover ground and go out of his comfort zone for the needs of the team he's struggled the past season and a half, let's see if he can turn in a dominant, incisive, imperious display against the Rags and follow it up week after week from now on, that would be a fair measure. Same way the hype about Mahrez scoring a hat-trick in one of 2 games against cannon fodder at home has been blown out of all proportion, starting scoring key goals every week and prove you're a consistent top-level player and not a flat-track bully.

If we go to next week, he doesn't give the ball away, he sets the attack away constantly with incisive, forward passes, we keep a clean sheet and he helps snuff out the Rags counter-attacks and keeps Fernandes out of the game then I'll come on here and congratulate him for stepping up to the level he needs to be at in this side for it to work, and encourage him to keep it up. If not, he'll be Plodri again because he'll have been at his usual level.

No, I'm not just going to say it's fixed because he had 2 decent games against teams you'd expect him to be dominant and comfortable against. It's hardly a marker, when push comes to shove and he's been asked to cover ground and go out of his comfort zone for the needs of the team he's struggled the past season and a half, let's see if he can turn in a dominant, incisive, imperious display against the Rags and follow it up week after week from now on, that would be a fair measure. Same way the hype about Mahrez scoring a hat-trick in one of 2 games against cannon fodder at home has been blown out of all proportion, starting scoring key goals every week and prove you're a consistent top-level player and not a flat-track bully.

If we go to next week, he doesn't give the ball away, he sets the attack away constantly with incisive, forward passes, we keep a clean sheet and he helps snuff out the Rags counter-attacks and keeps Fernandes out of the game then I'll come on here and congratulate him for stepping up to the level he needs to be at in this side for it to work, and encourage him to keep it up. If not, he'll be Plodri again because he'll have been at his usual level.
Your insults are tiresome, nevertheless, a victory is what's needed.

I’ve been very critical of Rodri, but to his credit he was decent yesterday, actually passed it somewhere other than just out wide a few times. Some very over the top reactions on here though and was still outshone by Gundogan once more who gets no credit for being both the best holding midfielder and attacking mid this season so far.

Im fully aware you can only play what’s in front of you but Fulham played with virtually no midfield giving kdb as much room as he wanted which made finding a pass into him a lot easier than it normally is. Let’s see some consistency and facing better opponents.

Rodri is brilliant but slow, so when we play a slow team we see the true player, and when we play a fast team we do not see him, he has not got slower since we bought him, we have just failed to bring in players that allow him to play to his strengths in the system that Pep plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.