#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s his speed of thought and then pass. Look how many touches he has. It’s only half a second here or one there. But cumulatively he’s a big hindrance on the team in games like this.

He’s in the team because he’s good in the air. As a 6, to move the ball and give tempo to our play as the fulcrum of the side, he’s worse than Gundogan and Fernandinho. We paid £60m+ for the privilege too.
You know I disagree. I would urge to watch it back - there is absolutely no way that he was tonight's problem.

It’s his speed of thought and then pass. Look how many touches he has. It’s only half a second here or one there. But cumulatively he’s a big hindrance on the team in games like this.

He’s in the team because he’s good in the air. As a 6, to move the ball and give tempo to our play as the fulcrum of the side, he’s worse than Gundogan and Fernandinho. We paid £60m+ for the privilege too.

Bang on. Numerous times he should have moved it first time but always takes a touch, and other times it should go go forward but it goes back

Noticeable that the decline in our performances has been since his introduction into the team. Yes he can pass the ball 5-10 yard but for £60m+ I would hope so however his lack of pace, creativity, mobility mean in our set up he’s just not good enough which is one the reasons our play is so static and slow

Don't recall the Sterling header? Fucking hell mate, clearer than the Gundogan one.

I can expect Foden, KDB, Sterling or someone to create a fucking chance when they are stood outside the box or on the wing. What's their excuse then? It's Rodris fault because he's back on the halfway line?
Its Rodris fault when Mahrez has the ball on the byline and runs it off the pitch? Maybe he should have passed it quicker.

How about Sterling missing that one on one against West Ham a while back, maybe Rodri slowed him down with his telepathic powers.

Rodri is being blamed because once again the players in front of him couldn't finish their dinners or even chop the veg up to start it. Just makes no sense to me.

The issue isn't even creating chances, the issue is we can't finish. We are creating less chances than normal but that doesn't excuse the woeful finishing. Your right, we shouldn't have been struggling against a championship team at home but it happens, KDB still then delivered two perfect chances and...we missed.

Sterling is all over the place, Mahrez turns it on when he fancies, Torres is new, Agueros knee is fucked, Jesus is all over the pitch doing anything other than being in the box and that's just for starters.

Fernandinho is not some demi god that causes our players to finish chances.
Fernandinho was world class, I get it. I don't sit here and compare Rodri to Fernandinho. They are different people and players.

Theres not a single player in world football that plays like Fernandinho in my opinion so the sooner people move on and accept that the better.
Just discovered the sterling chance was after Gundogans that’s why I missed it, I was watching on a stream that was a minute or two behind and I had already seen it was fulltime so closed the stream early. Fair do’s with that one but that’s still only two chances both in injury time that’s just nowhere near enough.

You’ve mentioned a lot of instances in games that wasn’t tonight’s in situations that I wasn’t commenting on. I’m in full agreement with you that we need to be more clinical infront of goal but tonight that wasn’t the big issue, the lack of chances we created was. We’ve never been especially clinical under Pep, even when we were breaking goal scoring records we wasn’t high up on the clinical rankings, we compensated by creating an abundance of chances and that is the thing that has changed. We create far far less chances because we move the ball too slowly and we pass sideways along the back line safely too much, Rodri is the biggest culprit.

You might not want to compare Fernandinho to Rodri but he is being tasked with playing in the same position, in largely the same style and asked to do the same things, you can’t not compare them

You know I disagree. I would urge to watch it back - there is absolutely no way that he was tonight's problem.
Not exclusively. I agree on that.

However I don’t see what Rodri is actually good at in a side like ours. He’s Javi Garcia but for £60m+.

He’s Functional. Effective against teams that hoof it. But in the position he plays, in our team, he’s a long way short of what we need in the vast majority of games.

If Gundogan played 6 tonight instead of Rodri we don’t draw that game (or lose). We move the ball much quicker and win. I’m not even a massive Gundogan fan, but as a pure footballer he’s way ahead of Rodri.

I get he’s becoming the footballing equivalent of marmite. On the one side of the equation it tastes shite and you shouldn’t bother, at least for a while. On the other it’s great and if anything is wrong it’s the bread. I’m obviously on the first side. I’ve seen you posts before and I think you argue well why you think it’s the bread.

I really hope he wins me over because he seems a good guy. He certainly tries. He’s not garbage. He plays for Spain and before us Athletico.

However, what I see in our team is a guy that just doesn’t fit. He’s slow and ponderous for a front foot team. He gets in because Guardiola has become obsessed with aerial duels and seemingly afraid of losing, rather than wanting to win. Rodri is the quintessential fit of being afraid of losing, stopping you winning kind of guy.

People cannot have watched this match to single out Rodri negatively. He continually intercepted the ball and distributed it quickly and forwards. We dominated the match against a ten-man defence and missed several chances. In this particular game, KDB, Cancelo, Mendy, and Sterling all performed poorly, much less ably than Rodri and made little of the possession that they had. Only if your mind has already been made up would you single Rodri out.
Exactly correct, he continually intercepted the ball which allowed us to maintain pressure on their defence, he covered and provided an out pass when our creative players hit a wall. Looks like too many eyes on keyboards instead of seeing what is plain to see. Maybe they just cannot recognise him on the pitch. Apparently apart from his shots, 95% of his passes were sideways or backwards. What an utterly ignorant comment when any one with a decent quality of tv or internet reception can see that is totally false. Why watch a game and rush online to tell us that we didn't see what we saw. Trash talk is cheap.

Not exclusively. I agree on that.

However I don’t see what Rodri is actually good at in a side like ours. He’s Javi Garcia but for £60m+.

He’s Functional. Effective against teams that hoof it. But in the position he plays, in our team, he’s a long way short of what we need in the vast majority of games.

If Gundogan played 6 tonight instead of Rodri we don’t draw that game (or lose). We move the ball much quicker and win. I’m not even a massive Gundogan fan, but as a pure footballer he’s way ahead of Rodri.

I get he’s becoming the footballing equivalent of marmite. On the one side of the equation it tastes shite and you shouldn’t bother, at least for a while. On the other it’s great and if anything is wrong it’s the bread. I’m obviously on the first side. I’ve seen you posts before and I think you argue well why you think it’s the bread.

I really hope he wins me over because he seems a good guy. He certainly tries. He’s not garbage. He plays for Spain and before us Athletico.

However, what I see in our team is a guy that just doesn’t fit. He’s slow and ponderous for a front foot team. He gets in because Guardiola has become obsessed with aerial duels and seemingly afraid of losing, rather than wanting to win. Rodri is the quintessential fit of being afraid of losing, stopping you winning kind of guy.
Well we were a mAchine until he signed for us
So he definitely is a stop you winning kind of guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.