#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really generous. He was absolutely terrible first half, giving the ball away constantly in dangerous positions and being totally ponderous in possession. In the second half he did better but that was still a very worrying performance from him. Better teams punish those early mistakes.
That’s just bollox

Again, he is one of the most press resistant players in the league, i.e. one of the most difficult to dispossess. One can give examples with Fernandinho as well who had poor games, e.g. at Anfield, and who lost the ball cheaply against Spurs in the CL for their home win.

Those who think that Fernandinho was more diffucult to dispossess than Rodri and made fewer mistakes than Rodri, can probably find data to show it. Compare the data, not the preconceptions.

Think the argument that Rodri is too slow and can't defend cannot be made in good faith anymore so a new reason to hate on him has to be found.

Strange to pick one of his best attributes as one of these things. Maybe in a few months they will be saying he can't head a ball!

He had a poor first half hour yesterday after 8/9 great performances in a row, that doesn't mean he has been 'found out'.

He had a difficult first quarter hour as did the team overall. You claim a first half as bad as any you've seen. Does that mean that he made no positive contribution to the team's effort in turning that early dodgy performance into a 3 goal half time lead, you certainly don't mention it, that divides opinion.
I also didn’t mention the absolute sitter he missed from 5 yards, or him not properly tracking his runner for the Chelsea goal, in his largely excellent 2nd half. I wasn’t nit-picking, just saying how yesterday was a great example of why he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

I also didn’t mention the absolute sitter he missed from 5 yards, or him not properly tracking his runner for the Chelsea goal, in his largely excellent 2nd half. I wasn’t nit-picking, just saying how yesterday was a great example of why he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

It's a good thing you didn't mention the "sitter" he missed from 5 yards because then people would know you're just pushing a tired agenda and inventing instances of bad play from Rodri instead of acknowledging a brilliant save from a good header.

Everything about the header is textbook. He's a few yards outside the width of the goal, so you'd be an idiot for calling it "an absolute sitter" anyway, but he hits it well with good pace above the keepers head. Mendy makes an excellent reaction save.

Is it the perfect, unsaveable header? No, but trying to squeeze it in the near post from a tight angle is the wrong decision when back across goal with that much power is going to go in unless the keeper makes an incredible save and even then there's the chance of a rebound going in.

Great cross, great header, great save. Whining that he "missed" it is absolute nonsense and betrays an obvious bias.

Last edited:
It's a good thing you didn't mention the "sitter" he missed from 5 yards because then people would know you're just pushing a tired agenda and inventing instances of bad play from Rodri instead of acknowledging a brilliant save from a good header.

Everything about the header is textbook. He's a few yards outside the width of the goal, so you'd be an idiot for calling it "an absolute sitter" anyway, but he hits it well with good pace above the keepers head. Mendy makes an excellent reaction save.

Is it the perfect, unsaveable header? No, but trying to squeeze it in the near post from a tight angle is the wrong decision when back across goal with that much power is going to go in unless the keeper makes an incredible save and even then there's the chance of a rebound going in.

Great cross, great header, great save. Whining that he "missed" it is absolute nonsense and betrays an obvious bias.

Seriously, it’s like pulling teeth. I’ve told you before to just ignore me but I suppose if you ignored everyone who has had disagreements with you on here, you would have no fucker left to converse with.

If you were half as clever as you think you are, you would realise that there is a common denominator, when it comes to the constant bickering on here. They do say though, that theres none so blind as those that won’t see. My post was basically intimating that in one performance, it was easy to see how Rodri splits opinion, I thought it was a pretty fair point given how shite he started but then improved throughout the game. You’re not having it though, you’d rather throw out nonsense excuses for him starting the game like he was on horse tranquillisers, him missing free headers from 5 yards, or just ignoring completely him not tracking his runner for the Chelsea goal. No bias from you here though.

There is no football textbook(unless authored by you) that states free headers from 5 yards should be headed straight at the keeper, at a lovely saveable height. There is very little difference between his miss and the headed misses from Gundogan and Sterling against WBA, both of whom were rightly slated for theirs. The only major difference between them was that Gundogan and Sterling’s misses cost us points and Rodris didn’t.

i can see why Pep plays him a steadying influence, covers a lot of ground and keeps possession but his first thought is to pass backwards all the time , when he has an opportunity to turn and do something positive he stifles attacks by playing the safe ball. That is the difference between a world class player like Dinho and Rodri, awareness

He’s a very good player and a very solid CDM.

He gets criticised because he’s not as good as the best CDM the country has seen over the last 7 years, and no it’s not Kante, it’s Fernandinho.

We literally couldn’t buy someone to fill his shoes, it’s like replacing Silva or Aguero, you just can’t do it to maintain their levels in that position.

Rodri would be absolutely fawned over if he played in a two man CDM formation, like Spurs play.

He plays the pivot for one of the most attacking teams in world football and isn’t the most agile, therefore doesn’t do as well as his highly agile predecessor, does that mean he’s not a good player who can still be effective for Manchester City? Absolutely not.

Contrary to popular belief, Rodri is the most progressive, forward-playing player in the entire league.

Most line-breaking passes per 90 and firmly in quadrant 1 on the second image as being not just an active defender but also actively progressing the ball up the pitch. Also note he is better than the current version of Fernandinho at successful defensive actions per 90. Prime Dinho would be another matter, but for those saying Ferna is still our best DM, he isn’t. And that’s why Rodri plays so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.