#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
U watch that first half? Agree with some of your points yes, but he’s out of his depth in this league. Luckily our defence has improved dramatically
You watched the 2nd? Same guy who made many mistakes in the 1sf was impossible to press in the second and made some of key tackles after being left for dead by Pulisic and Ziyech on separate occasions in the 1st.

I personally wasn't his biggest fan today. Started way too sluggishly. But he got better quickly. The 2nd half showed he had something in the tank.

When Chelsea stopped pressing him and the game slowed down, he played well.

But that says everything you need to know about him.

When pressed he can’t play, he’s far too easy to close down and force mistakes out of. When the games fast he can’t keep up, he’s too easy to get past.

Sure it doesn't tell you everything. No one ever said it did. People are watching the same player and reaching different conclusions. I.e the very information you possess ( i.e. your eyes) I possess that too. Yet we've come to different conclusions about the same player.

Thus, stats suggesting he passes more into the final 1/3 of the field than any other player in the Prem, simply supports one impression of the player

The thing stat does better than our eyes is skip bias. It doesn't overrate the on missed pass here and underrate the quick pass that opened play there. It simply documents.

I would bet my mortgage you didn't know he passed more into the final 3rs than anyone else in Prem. These kind of stats that contradicts ones perception should cause one to pause and re-examine. Not simply dismiss by claiming a straw man no one ever argued.

Here's a thought though, for someone who's so shit at getting goalside or chasing down, we sure are conceding fewer goals than we ever have and fewer chances than we ever did. Why is that? I mean we apparently have an incompetent guy at DM, who leads all leagues in pass completion and leads the Prem in passes into the final third. Sure, he probably is missing passing to the right guy, and taking less risk to pass his stat. And 'some' of our eyes say he is so slow and is never goalside once beaten. Yet we give up so little.

If nothing else, there must be something special about a player who is so incompetent, that he makes everyone else around him work harder than they ever have to cover both his deficiencies and theirs. So much so that they are defending better now than they ever did when they had better players at his and other positions

That surely is an argument some seem to be making. And there certainly are no stats for that. :)
Good post mate. I was critical of his performances early season and it could be he was still trying to build fitness. He must be just about first name on the team sheet now though. Thought he was brilliant yesterday at the base of our midfield. Bloody hell though what a midfield performance that was in general. At times I thought we had seven or eight midfielders with Cancelo, Zinchenko and Foden all contributing significantly to wonderful performances by Gundo, Bernie and Kev. We must be an absolute nightmare to play against.

Last edited:
When Chelsea stopped pressing him and the game slowed down, he played well.

But that says everything you need to know about him.

When pressed he can’t play, he’s far too easy to close down and force mistakes out of. When the games fast he can’t keep up, he’s too easy to get past.

Well, stats show he is one of the most press resistant players in the whole league. Why did Chelsea stop pressing him? Why don't the other teams take advantage of his weaknesses more often then? Because you can't press like that more than 20 minutes. Real were quite good at pressing last season and didn't trouble Rodri in both legs.

It's naive to think we have now the best defence in Europe despite Rodri. He is generally very solid in possession and has most completed passes in the final 3rd. There's a reason Pep plays Rodri and Dias all the time. Both are key to the new team he is building.

Well, stats show he is one of the most press resistant players in the whole league. Why did Chelsea stop pressing him? Why don't the other teams take advantage of his weaknesses more often then? Because you can't press like that more than 20 minutes. Real were quite good at pressing last season and didn't trouble Rodri in both legs.

It's naive to think we have now the best defence in Europe despite Rodri. He is generally very solid in possession and has most completed passes in the final 3rd. There's a reason Pep plays Rodri and Dias all the time. Both are key to the new team he is building.
He’s a good player, I don’t not rate him.

He has shown though that when he’s been out under pressure, he struggles. Take two recent examples; Southampton away and Chelsea last night - both team started with busy midfields and he looked out of his depth in the first half hour of both games. Then when both teams dropped off (Chelsea’s heads dropped, thought their attitude from going 2-0 down was a bit of a disgrace, concerns for Lampard there!) their pressing, Rodri shined.

He made a few passes last night that did not reach their target, because he under hit the pass and it got us countered.

This is what we gave to judge him on because when it comes to the major games, especially when we face more prolific sides in the CL then it is mistakes like this we cannot afford.

But he does need someone next to him who is more mobile and forward thinking like Gundogan was last night.

We still couldn't just have Rodri alone managing that space in front of the back four - we gave been there and witnessed the outcome

If you look when Fernan came on, his movement aloneto open up a passing lane is 100% better than Rodri. Hence why Rodri needs a partner next to him

He’s a good player, I don’t not rate him.

He has shown though that when he’s been out under pressure, he struggles. Take two recent examples; Southampton away and Chelsea last night - both team started with busy midfields and he looked out of his depth in the first half hour of both games. Then when both teams dropped off (Chelsea’s heads dropped, thought their attitude from going 2-0 down was a bit of a disgrace, concerns for Lampard there!) their pressing, Rodri shined.
Yep, the way we play, we have to accept that a player in Rodri's position will be pressed very hard. It's on Rodri's shoulders to hold his own when the press comes. Rodri couldn't do that until Chelsea stopped.

Certainly, it's likely every team couldn't press against Rodri for 90 minutes. But what would we have said if Chelsea had snatch the ball off Rodri and tuck away those chances in the 20 odds minutes they did decide to press Rodri?

He has shown though that when he’s been out under pressure, he struggles.

Again, he is one of the most press resistant players in the league, i.e. one of the most difficult to dispossess. One can give examples with Fernandinho as well who had poor games, e.g. at Anfield, and who lost the ball cheaply against Spurs in the CL for their home win.

Those who think that Fernandinho was more diffucult to dispossess than Rodri and made fewer mistakes than Rodri, can probably find data to show it. Compare the data, not the preconceptions.

They wouldn't. The reason they managed to catch him on the ball is because they massively overcommitted to pressing him and killing his passing options. That partially worked because they managed to win possession back, but then all of their players were out of position and we won it back.

After 20 minutes he worked them out and they suddenly looked like they were a player or 2 down when he passed through the press.

This is really generous. He was absolutely terrible first half, giving the ball away constantly in dangerous positions and being totally ponderous in possession. In the second half he did better but that was still a very worrying performance from him. Better teams punish those early mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.