16 | Rodri - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said before, Rodri looks like he fits the bill when we're flat track bullying dross, but there are still glimpses of some major weaknesses to his game even then.

We had 80% possession against a garbage 10 man Arsenal on the weekend, and the consensus seems to be that he played really well.

Despite that overwhelming dominance we had against Arsenal, Rodri still got turned about 3 or 4 times leaving us exposed at the back. Perfect example of that here, 15 seconds in:

This happens every single week with Rodri, and it's genuinely alarming. In the tightly contested fixtures against the better sides this gets punished, and we've seen it before time and time again. You get tested more out of possession and those flaws will be exposed.

It's a big weakness for us as far as I'm concerned, especially with Fernandinho's age. This position is a worry, and I fail to see how anyone else can honestly say otherwise.

There is no player on the pitch that you wouldn't be able to highlight an error for in a game or several games. Anyone with a fair lens would be able to find far more displays of outstanding quality, however. The stats tell us that Rodri is one of the very best midfielders in the league. Naturally, therefore, I disagree with you. As for Fern's replacement, hopefully, Lavia will fit that bill. Eventually, I hope that Rodri will be able to convince the small number of posters that remain scornful of his quality.

He's class. We were spoilt by Fernandinho for years but you won't find a player who can do what he did - other than maybe Fabinho at the scousers.

Rodri is brilliant at most, if not all, things he's asked to do. And he's got an absolute thunderbastard of a shot.

There is no player on the pitch that you wouldn't be able to highlight an error for in a game or several games. Anyone with a fair lens would be able to find far more displays of outstanding quality, however. The stats tell us that Rodri is one of the very best midfielders in the league. Naturally, therefore, I disagree with you. As for Fern's replacement, hopefully, Lavia will fit that bill. Eventually, I hope that Rodri will be able to convince the small number of posters that remain scornful of his quality.

That would be true were it a single error, maybe two, it's not. It was several against Arsenal, in a game where they had 19% possession. It's indicative of a weakness in Rodri's game. They're not isolated errors, they're flaws to his game. We've seen this consistently in his time at the club, even when in the grand scheme of things he otherwise played well, like on Saturday.

It's not about unfairly coming for players either, so the "scornful" remark is an odd one. It's coming from a concern about a potential problem position, and I believe it is.

That would be true were it a single error, maybe two, it's not. It was several against Arsenal, in a game where they had 19% possession. It's indicative of a weakness in Rodri's game. They're not isolated errors, they're flaws to his game. We've seen this consistently in his time at the club, even when in the grand scheme of things he otherwise played well, like on Saturday.

It's not about unfairly coming for players either, so the "scornful" remark is an odd one. It's coming from a concern about a potential problem position, and I believe it is.
The scornful phrase reflects the comments of a small number of posters in this thread; it is as much about the language used as it is about the critique.

We disagree, and that's fine, but I would simply say that a team that wins a league and a cup and qualifies for the champions league final does not have a weak player as a central midfielder. It may have one that you don't like as much as another but, objectively, they have to be a high-quality player.

The scornful phrase reflects the comments of a small number of posters in this thread; it is as much about the language used as it is about the critique.

We disagree, and that's fine, but I would simply say that a team that wins a league and a cup and qualifies for the champions league final does not have a weak player as a central midfielder. It may have one that you don't like as much as another but, objectively, they have to be a high-quality player.

Or that the dominance of the side is so great that Rodri's weaknesses are usually compensated for more often than not.

Just of the opinion that in a more competitive league season those margins are smaller and such weaknesses will prove more costly. We can agree to disagree though like you said.

Or that the dominance of the side is so great that Rodri's weaknesses are usually compensated for more often than not.

Just of the opinion that in a more competitive league season those margins are smaller and such weaknesses will prove more costly. We can agree to disagree though like you said.
A dominant team is a blend of strengths and weaknesses. You could argue that Rodri often winning the ball back compensates for a KDB misplaced pass or Rhiyad's occasional failure to track back or Raz not beating his man. Every player in the team helps another to be a better player and that's why we slaughtered PSG last season - we are a team, it is not about the individual. We have one of the best teams in European football and Rodri is a key component.

Jorginho has a much, much, much better passing range than Rodri.

I'm a big Rodri fan but I can also recognise the strengths in others. Some of the passes Jorginho plays are insane.
Not just a much better passing range. But a superior decision making brain. He is one of the hardest footballers in world football to press.

A dominant team is a blend of strengths and weaknesses. You could argue that Rodri often winning the ball back compensates for a KDB misplaced pass or Rhiyad's occasional failure to track back or Raz not beating his man. Every player in the team helps another to be a better player and that's why we slaughtered PSG last season - we are a team, it is not about the individual. We have one of the best teams in European football and Rodri is a key component.

I disagree though, Rodri doesn't win the ball a lot. It's one of his biggest weaknesses, it just rarely gets exposed as we dominate possession so often.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I don't see Rodri as a key component. You could argue he is, but it's only due to his lack of competition for the place, rather than any overwhelming contribution to the side. IMO, at least.

I disagree though, Rodri doesn't win the ball a lot. It's one of his biggest weaknesses, it just rarely gets exposed as we dominate possession so often.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I don't see Rodri as a key component. You could argue he is, but it's only due to his lack of competition for the place, rather than any overwhelming contribution to the side. IMO, at least.
I am pretty sure that he makes more interceptions than any PL midfielder. Hopefully, someone will provide that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.