16 | Rodri - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought from the start he looked nervous. Hopefully just a blip.

Needs to be better than that, first half he gave the ball away too many times in dangerous positions that decent opposition would have scored from and let joelinton glide by him too easily. Better second half.
That's because he didn't get much support from those "number eights"..

We always forget that Rodri wasn't a bad player even in his first season, but our midfield has improved during the last two seasons and has been playing as an unit..

If he doesn't get Bernardo on that RCM position - he will always struggle.. Because he needs that help and there is no defensive midfielder in the world - who doesn't..

Whenever you break that Rodri-Bernardo partnership - you break our midfield..

P.S While analyzing players - people forget to look at the team in overall and then make the judgements.. Football is a team sport and even Messi can't shine individually, if team selection isn't chosen correctly..

We always forget that Rodri wasn't a bad player even in his first season, but our midfield has improved during the last two seasons and has been playing as an unit..

If he doesn't get Bernardo on that RCM position - he will always struggle.. Because he needs that help and there is no defensive midfielder in the world - who doesn't..

P.S While analyzing players - people forget to look at the team in overall and then make the judgements.. Football is a team sport and even Messi can't shine individually, if team selection isn't chosen correctly..

But we didn't break the Rodri-Bernardo partnership, they both played. Whether Bernardo plays nominally as the right or left "8" shouldn't affect Rodri that much, given Rodri plays centrally regardless

But we didn't break the Rodri-Bernardo partnership, they both played. Whether Bernardo plays nominally as the right or left "8" shouldn't affect Rodri that much, given Rodri plays centrally regardless
Yep, but Bernardo struggles with the positioning on the left and can't receive the ball as comfortable as he receives on the right.. That's why during the build-up we struggled a little bit..

Bernardo needs space when he receives the ball to dribble and possess the ball, when he is on the right - he cuts inside and starts dribbling. When he is on the left, it's difficult to cut inside as he plays with the right foot and that's not easy..

Yep, but Bernardo struggles with the positioning on the left and can't receive the ball as comfortable as he receives on the right.. That's why during the build-up we struggled a little bit..

Bernardo needs space when he receives the ball to dribble and possess the ball, when he is on the right - he cuts inside and starts dribbling. When he is on the left, it's difficult to cut inside as he plays with the right foot and that's not easy..

I get where you're coming from, but that shouldn't be a huge issue for Bernardo. David Silva usually played as the left "8" and never seemed to have much problem receiving the ball and dribbling with it on that side, and he was even more one-footed than Bernardo

I get where you're coming from, but that shouldn't be a huge issue for Bernardo. David Silva usually played as the left "8" and never seemed to have much problem receiving the ball and dribbling with it on that side, and he was even more one-footed than Bernardo
David Silvas was David Silva and that's why :D

Bernardo struggles there, always better on the other side..

Also, Silva started his career in Valencia as a LCM or LW

Bernardo started his career as a RCM or RW>

Maybe experience plays a big role here.. who knows, but fact is - RCM is his "best" position so far..

Having read this and your subsequent posts I wouldn't say you're neccesarily wrong, I get what your saying and it's a fair point but I think you've put too much emphasis on it's importance both in general but particularly this specific match and how it played out. Bernardo being on the other side isn't forcing Rodri to give the ball away uncontested with suicide balls, there was just a few who are usually reliable that were off it today. I think it's fair to just say they had a sub-standard performance.

Having read this and your subsequent posts I wouldn't say you're neccesarily wrong, I get what your saying and it's a fair point but I think you've put too much emphasis on it's importance both in general but particularly this specific match and how it played out. Bernardo being on the other side isn't forcing Rodri to give the ball away uncontested with suicide balls, there was just a few who are usually reliable that were off it today. I think it's fair to just say they had a sub-standard performance.
It's a finely tuned engine, little changes have a knock on effect on overall performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.