#17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he kept going second half and was always looking for options.

it’s only 4/5 weeks ago he won us the 3 points out of nothing against Chelsea and that’s why he plays.

Not his finest game but I didn’t think any of the 5 offensive players did that much. Foden probably edged it as he played well second half.

2 assists all season, what has happened to his final ball?

Seems to hit the first man 9 times out of 10 and even his crossing has fallen off a cliff.

Some highlights, but it's going to go down as a poor season for Kev. I do think he's suffering for the false 9 though.

2 assists all season, what has happened to his final ball?

Seems to hit the first man 9 times out of 10 and even his crossing has fallen off a cliff.
When you face a parked bus every week and you haven’t got a centre forward in front of you, it’s perhaps not a surprise that he’s not picking as many killer passes as he used to. Was poor yesterday though regardless

Hate to say it but Kev is becoming a major problem. The way we play we cannot afford to give the ball away because we are exposed to pacy breaks/channel balls. Kev is giving it away every single time now, has stopped trying things, is getting bullied. I know Pep is trying to get him to play his way into form but at some point soon he might have to bite the bullet.

The good news is we have three easy games on the trot for him to do it.

Assists is a terrible metric by the way, so don't blame him for 2 assists.

Using fbref, Kevin has an xA of 5 and in fact has the highest xA/90 on the whole team of 0.33.

It's not his fault our team hasn't been finishing his chances.

On the other hand, Kevin has 7 goals from an xG of 3.4. This is elite goal scoring levels, unbelievablly clinical.

All of this indicates to me a perfect F9 player, he is our best finisher, and it gives him the freedom to drop deep to player killer passes behind for wingers who can go behind.

He has the strong build for it too, he is built like a striker, and oddly enough is very similar to Harry Kane imo. Both are great finishers and passers, just at slightly differing levels between them.

For me, Pep has restricted Kev by forcing him to do the running and control in midfield, he is a "Numbers" player.

If I think about Kevin's time at City, or if anyone does, what do we think of? We think about his goals and assists.

What about David Silva? Nobody thinks about that, we think about his more midfield-like qualities. He was the cog to help the "Numbers" players like Kevin and the like. Same with Gundogan and Bernie.

Kevin is still one of the world's best players, but Pep has to stop playing him in the midfield, play him F9 and see the huge rewards.

Looks like he is carrying a bit too much weight to me. Our best performances this season have been when Bernardo has been paired with Gundogan.

Put him at false 9. Still very valuable, still capable of brilliance and decisive moments, you don't get in Pep teams without being world class at several aspects of the game, he's just not quite up to the physical demands of playing in our midfield anymore. That ankle injury from the Euros has done him in - he'll never recover fully.

Put him at false 9. Still very valuable, still capable of brilliance and decisive moments, you don't get in Pep teams without being world class at several aspects of the game, he's just not quite up to the physical demands of playing in our midfield anymore. That ankle injury from the Euros has done him in - he'll never recover fully.
Best place for him and is as false 9 at the moment I agree. Let Gundo and Bernado keep the ball for us like they were doing so well. Added bonus that Bernado had the fitness and brain to help Rodri too

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.