#17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a strange one, we proved last year we can win without him yet he looks head and shoulders better than any of our other players.

It’s a strange one, we proved last year we can win without him yet he looks head and shoulders better than any of our other players.
Helped by Gundogan hitting a purple patch and scoring with every shot on goal. Purple patches end, and by around end of March, his did.

The fact he came on for 15 mins, barely fit and no real pre season in him, and yet he was still the best player on the pitch.

"Man City don't rely on Kevin De Bruyne, in fact our best run last season came without him in the team" or "we play better when Kevin is injured".

I've heard versions of those two statements over the past year, and surprisingly again after yesterday's defeat. I had a feeling that this did not align with what I remember so I checked the stats.

Our winning run or the transformation in results and performance started after the West Brom match in December last year. Pep has admitted as much publicly.

We played Southampton, Newcastle, Chelsea, Brighton, Palace and Villa in the next 6 games and won every match. This 6 game winning run was our best up until that point in the season. To add some more context, in the 12 games leading upto the Southampton game, we had won 5, drawn 5 and lost 2. Pretty abysmal. And then we won 6 in a row.

We were 9th in the table after the West Brom match and after the 6 game winning run, we were 2nd with a game in hand (and only 2 points off the top).

Kevin played all 6 of those games. scored once and assisted 4 times. His total of 5 goal contributions during that period was the highest by any player in the team.

Kevin got injured during that Villa game after 59 minutes and missed the next 5 games. In these 5 games, other players stepped in, we moved from 2nd to 1st and after Kevin came back, continued to win matches.

What's the point of all this, you ask? My opinion is that Kevin played one of the most important roles in kickstarting our winning run and after 6 wins in a row, the rest of the team used that momentum to continue the run for 5 more games until he came back.

To suggest that we didn't need Kevin last season or that we play better without him or that he was missing during our incredible winning run is a disingenuous statement, not based in reality.

To suggest that we didn't need Kevin last season or that we play better without him or that he was missing during our incredible winning run is a disingenuous statement, not based in reality.

The fact is that, literally in all the CL playoff games (including Final) - Pep played him as a False9 and sticked to Gundogan-Bernardo duo in the midfield.

So if you don't need KDB in the midfield area - means that you don't need KDB at all.. He is not a striker or a winger..

So...

But then there is this perspective, where you have Grealish and can build Grealish-KDB partnership in the midfield.. That's the different scenario, which will definitely take the time.

And right now, our best (and proved) midfield duo is Gundogan-Bernardo, so KDB is destined for that False9 role again - if we don't sign Kane and Bernardo goes to balance the payment (which will be a catastrophe)..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.