#17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he had his moments but as it is with Sterling, I feel like their defensive work has fallen off a cliff from where it was.

He doesn't track back and isn't involved in a defensive play as much as you expect from the midfield player..

Also those quick crosses and passes - sometimes aren't suitable for the other players and ball was lost for the number of times stupidly.

As Bernardo had to play LCM were he is completely useless - we were without midfield, that's why Grealish and Mahrez had to go deeper and help during the build-up..

Right now the only midfield trio that's working and able to play against a decent opponent is -> Rodri-Gundo-Bernardo..

Yep, game was entertaining but those 3 conceded goals - have their reason.
So we should bench kdb since it doesn’t work right

So we should bench kdb since it doesn’t work right
Nope, he should play as false9 or as LCM - while Bernardo-Rodri duo will be retained and midfield will have defensive strength

Nope, he should play as false9 or as LCM - while Bernardo-Rodri duo will be retained and midfield will have defensive strength
I disagree KDB is at best at RCM and he probably thinks so himself. I prefer Bernardo at RCM as well but the problem was not KDB reclaiming his spot but Bernardo is an unnatural position. I guess Pep was betting he could turn Bernardo into a versatile MF that could play just as well from the left. Maybe to take the load off Ilkay or possibly ease him out of the lineup.

Whatever the reason it's frankly unfair to Gundogan who is far and away our best LCM and frankly the only competent one. I thought when KDB returns it was Bernardo heading into the bench instead it's Gundo that had to make way. For me Gundogan is the only automatic starter in the middle. Bernardo and KDB can fight it off for the RCM spot.

Last edited:
You know how sometimes a mistruth becomes so popular that that it's impossible to refute it with facts or data? It becomes an urban myth. Like when people say City cheated FFP but won at CAS because of a technicality, or when people meme about Emptihad, etc. They aren't true, but it's just not possible to combat the wave of lies anymore.

This idea that Kevin is superfluous to our requirements, or that the first team is better off without him is one such urban myth. It's dangerous and I see more and more people parroting the same shit every match. Sooner or later the majority will start believing in the shared "truth" and turn on him.

Happened with Gundo from 2017 to 2019 and it took him a herculean effort and a complete reinvention of his role to change that narrative. Happens every match with Walker, where people still believe that the best defending RB in the world is "prone" to brain farts. God knows what lesser capable right backs are prone to then. Currently happening with Rodri where people just can't see what he does. He only passes sideways and is shite defensively according the shared "truth". Anyone feel a sense of Deja Vu? Remember a player called Gundogan being criticised for similar things? "A nothing player", "doesn't add anything to the squad", "a nice to have, but not a difference maker".

This may seem like paranoia, but give it time, and it will happen to Kevin too. I'm already seeing the pattern.

28 goals and assists in 36 starts in all competitions last season, almost a goal or assist every match but apparently we didn't need him. 7 goals and assists in 8 matches in the Champions League, but yeah he totally destabilizes the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.