17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2023/24

I'd love to see us hold on to him, if at all possible. With careful management of his playing time, we may be able to get another couple of seasons out of him. However; in these days of FFP, PSR, ABC, XTC etc etc, if a big offer came in for him from a Saudi club, would the club look at it? Also, he's entering the last year of his contract, which is a factor. Get decent money for him now or lose him for nothing next summer, if he doesn't sign a new contract?
As said previously he is still a top player but he is 33 and his body is struggling, lot's of injuries and now unable to play 3 games a week.

He would want a contract extension and on huge wages, again that's a big risk.

He is the one that said he would be interested in going to Saudi, let's not forget that.

IF the Saudi's offered 100m we have a decision to make, that in this market is serious cash, you could go and then make an offer for the likes of Musiala or Wirtz that their clubs would be unable to turn down.

I said it early last year the fact Kev was out for so long will probably extend his career in the top flight. Same happened with Gundo (who we all wish had stayed for one more year at least). He was knackered from the treble season and had played on injuries for a few seasons.

His body has now had time to recover and to expect him to be the same player straight away was a big ask. I guess it all comes down to how Pep sees his role and if we as a club are prepared to offer him one more year on similar terms. I like him deeper where he can dictate the passing speed and still look to have the odd burst forward. A slightly different role. I'm not sure if that will fit Peps plan but then again our wonderful manager has never been afraid of trying something to keep ahead of all others.

For me it's a no brainer, players like Kev who not only has sublime skill but a desire to win second to none come around maybe once a decade - keep him for 2 years then let him have one last big payday in New York. Same goes for Pep and that gives us time to find the next in line - David Silva - Kev - ??

One of the greatest players to play for our club, and in the Premier League. He is approaching the end of his career, but is still capable of match-winning moments and great performances. Competing at top of the Premier League is an extreme demand, and he is not capable of week in-week out delivery. It's so different to the international game, where opponents are not generally of the same quality until much later in the tournament. His game time will need managing very carefully, and it creates a great opportunity for others, but it is the nature of the beast. Without it, he will succumb to lengthy absences that could have a negative effect on our chance of honours. Whether he stays or he goes, the man is a legend of the club.

One of the greatest players to play for our club, and in the Premier League. He is approaching the end of his career, but is still capable of match-winning moments and great performances. Competing at top of the Premier League is an extreme demand, and he is not capable of week in-week out delivery. It's so different to the international game, where opponents are not generally of the same quality until much later in the tournament. His game time will need managing very carefully, and it creates a great opportunity for others, but it is the nature of the beast. Without it, he will succumb to lengthy absences that could have a negative effect on our chance of honours. Whether he stays or he goes, the man is a legend of the club.
Kdb knows at 32 his body can't withstand playing 38 PL games. His contract expires next year and I think next season will be his last at City. A legend and the best midfielder to grace the PL and it will be a sad day for City when he leaves.

Kdb knows at 32 his body can't withstand playing 38 PL games. His contract expires next year and I think next season will be his last at City. A legend and the best midfielder to grace the PL and it will be a sad day for City when he leaves.

Well it all depends how much he has to run right. Granted running has been always part of Kev's game, but the thing with a playmaker is that you dont nessecarily need him to run that fast or much if he can make the difference just trough passes. Kev can defend a bit and is good at long shots i'd think he'd make a good deep lying playmaker.

Last edited:
Another 2 years at Man City, he is still too good to let go. I even think he won't wear another than a City-shirt. He is not the guy that leaves home for sandbox money. Even if he says so, I think he only says it to put pressure on a new contract negotiation.
Is it good for the club that he leaves? So that we can cash in? Maybe... we bought him for a bargain. Let's have that conversation in 2-3 years.

Well it all depends how much he has to run right. Granted running has been always part of Kev's game, but the thing with a playmaker is that you dont nessecarily need him to run that fast or much if he can make the difference just trough passes. Kev can defend a bit and is good at long shots i'd think he'd make a good deep lying playmaker too.

I think we could keep him if Pep could calm down that side of his game. Others have said it — when he came back from injury, he was haring around all over the place like a fifteen-year-old. He was just so thrilled to be out on the grass again. I thought, “Great, we've got our Kev back”. Well, that didn't last, of course. He was shagged out after three matches.
Above all, he needs to understand that a man of his skills and vision doesn't need to do that. Let the Rico Lewises, the Jérémy Dokus, let Phil do that. Let the Viking do more of that. He needs to adopt the elder statesman mantle now. Lampard dropped deeper and continued to play superbly until close to the end.
Remember also that Kev almost never gets his summers off. He plays 30 to 45 games in a good season, and is then straight off to the international competitions, whether meaningful or meaningless.
If Kev reins in his running game, then there are many great moments left in him for MCFC, for a couple of seasons.

The other one who just runs and runs and runs is Bernardo. I just wonder how long he can keep that up. I admire him so much.

For the first time in a while I thought he looked fit again last night. Played with real intensity and looked strong for 90 minutes.
I agree.
After that 5 month injury, he wanted to show us in that Newcastle game he was back, and he did. But Kevin is Kevin: eagerness, unlimited desire to fight like a lion, untamable. Maybe he pushed his body too much to those limits.
Yesterday... he was running at defenders in minute 85, scoring that late goal, King on the midfield, perfect assist-maker, decisive and director of the pace/tempo in the game.
He 's still a world class player and he's ours, he's going nowhere.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.