17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a major issue, but I think that it's a travesty that Kevin De Bruyne is not the team's Captain.

I genuinely can't believe Walker ( or anyone for that matter) was chosen ahead of Kev. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

I won't even put Walker in my top.4 od I was voting.

Kevin
Dias
Rodri
John

And Walker's claim to #5 would be strictly due to being a senior player.

Personally wouldn't bat an eye if Ake was ahead of Walker too.

Anyway, not a big issue, but bothers me :)

This is not a major issue, but I think that it's a travesty that Kevin De Bruyne is not the team's Captain.

I genuinely can't believe Walker ( or anyone for that matter) was chosen ahead of Kev. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Kevin
Dias
Rodri
John

Kevin and Stones were or are injured.

Walker has many years seniority over Dias.

Pribably should be Rodri, worlds best CDM, always healthy, and clearly instructs on the pitch.

Kevin
Dias
Rodri
John

But we only get to see them from a distance. The players will know a lot more about their personalities, and who they think should be captain.

But we only get to see them from a distance. The players will know a lot more about their personalities, and who they think should be captain.
I know Kev can be odd. He has that "odd genius personality" it seems. The kind even Pep has to navigate carefully.

But still. It's fucking Kev! It's like not making Messi the Captain after Puyol retired. There were more senior players. But it was obvious it was Messi time.

I agree we don't know these guys personally. But leadership is easy to see. Dias (his poorer performances this season notwithstanding) is obviously a leader. It's easy to see. So is John. Rodri's personality oozes class more than anything and he leads by example. So it won't be surprising to see him as Captain.

1. Nothing about Walker strikes me as a leader from a far. I mean even last season, you can see on multiple occasions the younger Dias and John correcting him or getting him in line with the plan. I just don't see how he went from that to Uber leader in one summer.

I hope many didn't just vote for him because they wanted him to not leave for Bayern. That's what it feels like to me ....

Anyway, you are probably right that we don't know the inside stories. And I'm likely totally off base.

I still don't like it :)

From fear of this injury potentially shortening his career, I'm hoping it actually has given him the chance to rest and reset and play for longer. He plays the game at full tilt so I wouldn't expect him to be playing until late 30s like Modric but you never know, he could adapt and slow the pace of his game and still have an impact. It's given him the chance to mentally refresh and physically strengthen and he's probably got a new appetite to go and perform. He already is the greatest in my opinion, but he deserves another chance of completing a CL final and being the star. It's desperately unlucky he's not been able to do so in two attempts now.
Third time luck? We have everything in our locker to get there and in Wembley with a great pitch we can play our best football unlike the one in Turkey.

I know Kev can be odd. He has that "odd genius personality" it seems. The kind even Pep has to navigate carefully.

But still. It's fucking Kev! It's like not making Messi the Captain after Puyol retired. There were more senior players. But it was obvious it was Messi time.

I agree we don't know these guys personally. But leadership is easy to see. Dias (his poorer performances this season notwithstanding) is obviously a leader. It's easy to see. So is John. Rodri's personality oozes class more than anything and he leads by example. So it won't be surprising to see him as Captain.

1. Nothing about Walker strikes me as a leader from a far. I mean even last season, you can see on multiple occasions the younger Dias and John correcting him or getting him in line with the plan. I just don't see how he went from that to Uber leader in one summer.

I hope many didn't just vote for him because they wanted him to not leave for Bayern. That's what it feels like to me ....

Anyway, you are probably right that we don't know the inside stories. And I'm likely totally off base.

I still don't like it :)

I can't see Pep promising to make him captain if he stayed, it would break the mould on how things usually work. The stories around the CL final last season have suggested that despite Walker being completely broken by not being selected to start the game, he still gave a rallying speech to the team. I don't think it hugely matters really, we've got a squad full of winners, experience and leaders and it doesn't fall to one man on their own to lead the team. I didn't think Gundogan was the right choice last season, then we won the treble and he was a huge part of our success so what the hell do I know. I'm quite interested in the City documentary when it finally gets released, to see just what Gundo was like behind the scenes - might give more of an insight into others too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.