18 | Stefan Ortega - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we're we struggling to break lines due the keeper?

Dias dallying on the ball?
The entire inverted right side?

7 chances created, 8 shots, 2 on target and hit the post twice the first half. We were breaking their lines just fine, only change second half is the chances went in.

I don’t think Ortega passed through the lines once. Not a slight on him. He just didn’t do it.

Ruben dallying is a side affect of Ortega not seeing or risking the quick ball.

We missed Gundo and Kev more.

Wouldn’t argue that. Especially Gundogan, it was first third to final third where things were getting clogged up.
We missed Ederson, but we likely missed Gundogan more. It didn’t help that without the big switch, Walker didn’t really have a pass, and Mahrez for some reason kept coming inside.
And, we were actually playing a well organised highly motivated opposition.

People often forget we play an opposition.

One thing Stefan has over Ederson is a much better blocking technique from one on ones.

He does the classic Neuer thing of somehow spreading himself as much as possible but without leaving huge gaps for the ball to squeeze through. I wonder if this is something coached in Germany as standard now.

I love Eddie and I'm not criticising him at all but I wonder if Stefan's strengths are a bit more suited to the way we're currently playing, in terms of not having quite so much control of possession and finding ourselves to be under more pressure in defence as a consequence. He doesn't quite have the full passing range but he's more than comfortable enough on the ball.

Or maybe he crumbles in his next appearance, who knows? But I keep coming back to that Chelsea game in the cup and that's easily the best goalkeeper performance I've seen since Joe Hart against Barcelona. And I've been waiting for Stefan to slip up since then but he doesn't seem to.

I think we've just reached a point where I'm not concerned at all by who starts in goal for us and I really haven't been able to say that with some of the backups we've had over the years. There's genuine competition for the number one spot.

One thing Stefan has over Ederson is a much better blocking technique from one on ones.

He does the classic Neuer thing of somehow spreading himself as much as possible but without leaving huge gaps for the ball to squeeze through. I wonder if this is something coached in Germany as standard now.

I love Eddie and I'm not criticising him at all but I wonder if Stefan's strengths are a bit more suited to the way we're currently playing, in terms of not having quite so much control of possession and finding ourselves to be under more pressure in defence as a consequence. He doesn't quite have the full passing range but he's more than comfortable enough on the ball.

Or maybe he crumbles in his next appearance, who knows? But I keep coming back to that Chelsea game in the cup and that's easily the best goalkeeper performance I've seen since Joe Hart against Barcelona. And I've been waiting for Stefan to slip up since then but he doesn't seem to.

I think we've just reached a point where I'm not concerned at all by who starts in goal for us and I really haven't been able to say that with some of the backups we've had over the years. There's genuine competition for the number one spot.

Agree totally. And on his style, he looks like he's grown up playing handball (don't know if that's true or not). Bit similar technique to former City keeper Peter Schmeichel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.