18 | Stefan Ortega - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Balls to that, he should definitely play in the Cup Final - he's good enough and he deserves it.

I still maintain that part of the reason we lost to Wigan in the Cup Final was because Mancini ditched Pantilimon at late notice to put Hart back in. These guys work together all season, they know who's promised what. You break promises and you piss off your players - and not just the keeper who's been dropped. Loads of them would be thinking it's unfair on him.
Yeah I agree with that, it's the long term approach which these players buy into over a number of years, and you don't risk long term for short term.

Personally, I think the absolute main issue last night, was that we had nobody in midfield angling for the ball to allow us to play out properly.

Just goes to show how much we rely on Rodri being in there, and then the positioning of Gundogan and Grealish.

If we don't beat United, it won't be because Ortega was in net.

Perfectly happy with him for the Cup Final. When hasn't Ederson given us all a few scares holding onto the ball at his feet until the last possible moment ? Brighton were the best pressing team we've faced and everyone had trouble with their energy and coordinated press last night. Our GKs practice the art of keeping the ball as long as possible if it means a chance to break out and counter with intent.

Ederson would also have looked as inconsistent last night, partly because we played with a makeshift defence and partly because we were pressed by a well-organised side.
This.

People are now saying Stefan isn't as good with his feet? In the games I've seen him this season, which is everyone he's played he's looked fine with the ball. Brighton have a higher press and are a very very good side. Who's to say Eddie would have done better? He has the odd fuck up too...

Perfectly happy with him for the Cup Final. When hasn't Ederson given us all a few scares holding onto the ball at his feet until the last possible moment ? Brighton were the best pressing team we've faced and everyone had trouble with their energy and coordinated press last night. Our GKs practice the art of keeping the ball as long as possible if it means a chance to break out and counter with intent.
It's a cup final, you play your strongest 11, so Ederson has to play.

This.

People are now saying Stefan isn't as good with his feet? In the games I've seen him this season, which is everyone he's played he's looked fine with the ball. Brighton have a higher press and are a very very good side. Who's to say Eddie would have done better? He has the odd fuck up too...
Eddie is press resistant 99.9% of the time , stefan was flustered and at no time looked comfortable with the ball at his feet in this game

Eddie is press resistant 99.9% of the time , stefan was flustered and at no time looked comfortable with the ball at his feet in this game
Ortega is frequently having to play behind a makeshift defence, and the other night not everyone was playing at full speed.

He's played 13 games this season, kept nine clean sheets, and I reckon that he's only had the strongest available defence in front of him in two of those games (Dortmund away and West Ham at home). It's not as if he has had a Steffen-like meltdown, and I don't recall him costing us a goal in the way Ederson did against Spurs at the Etihad.

I expect he's been promised all FA Cup games, it's part of how you manage to get a good backup.

If* you then go back on your promises then some of your players will stop trusting you, your keeper will probably want to leave and you'll struggle to get somebody good as a backup next time.

Is Ederson that much better than Ortega to warrant that? Personally I don't think so.

*(Now we don't know details of any agreements and he may have been promised cup games except finals, so that 'if' is a very big 'if')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.