18 | Stefan Ortega - 2023/24

Didn't have a chance with any of the goals (maybe could've done better with the second) so this feels harsh to say, but I felt his distribution put us under unnecessary pressure several times
I don’t think he needs to commit as much as he did on the 2nd. Theres two defenders v one attacker…let them deal with it.

IMO, what tonight shows is that being the City keeper isn’t an easy job. We don’t concede many chances but the ones we do concede are invariably big ones. Ederson is a great keeper. Ortega is a very good keeper. Neither are infallible.

Didn't like his position for the second goal, deflection or not he wasn't in a position to make a save, should have backed off a few steps as soon as akanji got back. That's being hyper critical though, I'm definitely not blaming him for anything, can be happy with his display. Ederson should be coming back in this weekend though ahead of the return leg.

It's tough to criticise him, but as mentioned, I thought he should have done better for the second.

I also thought it was a mistake starting him. I know he's been great, but Ederson is our #1, and benching keepers is just different than outfield players, in my eyes.

Didn't like his position for the second goal, deflection or not he wasn't in a position to make a save, should have backed off a few steps as soon as akanji got back. That's being hyper critical though, I'm definitely not blaming him for anything, can be happy with his display. Ederson should be coming back in this weekend though ahead of the return leg.

It's tough to criticise him, but as mentioned, I thought he should have done better for the second.

I also thought it was a mistake starting him. I know he's been great, but Ederson is our #1, and benching keepers is just different than outfield players, in my eyes.

I think you're being a bit harsh. It was actually a clever goal from Rodrygo, when you watch it back. Rather than losing his head and leathering it, as he must have been tempted to do, he just poked it in the right direction and said “Ok, let's see what happens here”.
I've got no complaints in general about Stefan. He's just about as good a second keeper as you can keep happy.

i dont see it as that big a call to make. Ederson only just getting back from injury and Ortega's been doing more than fine in nets. Didn't see an issue with him starting yesterday. Ederson will be back when fit though.

Done well, IMO. Easy to say he should have stayed in goal for the 2nd, but it was a judgement call in a split second and Akanji didnt cover himself in glory there either. No complaints from me. Bad luck with the deflection made it hard for him.

Ederson will be back this weekend and for the home match vs Madrid.

i dont see it as that big a call to make. Ederson only just getting back from injury and Ortega's been doing more than fine in nets. Didn't see an issue with him starting yesterday. Ederson will be back when fit though.

I think Pep said even if Ederson was fit, they'd have a decision to make about whether it's a risk that his first game back is such a big one.

He won 1 out of 8. I counted. And in every single one he had his body between Rudiger and the ball, so he was well positioned. No excuses, Rudiger owned him.
Love Erling but he HAS to be stronger in these situations, get him on the weights :) hopefully as he gets older he gets stronger.

I really rate him. Been hearing for weeks from pundits and dippers (hard to tell them apart tbh) that Kelleher is the premier league’s best number 2 goalie- i know who I’d rather have and I think last night showed the truth about that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.