19 | Julian Alvarez - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine LOLing at someone for making comparisons between old players and one that has replaced them? Don't be so dim
Sterling and Jesus ARE proven players and have done so over a long period, Alvarez hasn't.

You are right to point out that we've lost a lot of goals with the departures of Aguero, Torres, Jesus and Sterling but it's worth bearing in mind that Aguero wasn't here last season and only contributed 4 league goals and 2 Champions League goals the season before. Despite that, we still managed to win back to back titles and were seconds away from reaching consecutive CL finals.

A more helpful way of looking at it IMO is to concentrate on the goals we've lost from last season.

Sterling - 13 PL, 3 CL
Jesus - 8 PL, 4 CL
Torres - 2 PL, 0 CL

So we've lost 23 goals in the league and 7 in the Champions League from the season just gone.

Haaland may not cover all of those himself but I suspect he won't be far off.

Then look at what our other forwards got and there's plenty of room for improvement.

Foden - 9 PL, 3 CL
Grealish - 3 PL, 1 CL
Mahrez - 11 PL, 7 CL
Palmer - 0 PL, 1 CL

I think we can expect a higher output from all four not least because they'll have more game time due to Jesus and Sterling's exits but they should also all benefit from the attention Haaland will be getting from defenders.

Foden will score more now he doesn't have to keep dropping deep all the time, Grealish will surely do better, Mahrez is capable of at least replicating last season and anything Palmer gets will be an improvement.

Let's say Haaland gets around 20 goals and the four mentioned above (less so Palmer) can improve on last season then I don't think we need to put too much pressure on Alvarez. We have to allow him time to adjust to a new country, language, league, club, system, teammates etc. Personally I'm just hoping he can chip in with the odd goal and anything else is a bonus.
Brilliant analysis that.

Sterling and Jesus ARE proven players and have done so over a long period, Alvarez hasn't.
To be fair I remember a very young Jesus coming over direct from South America and doing very well in his first few games, I can see Alvarez doing similar, he is a year or two older I think?

Pep wants Phillips - Trust Pep, he know what he is doing - Words of Trust in Pep brigade.

Manchester City sell Jesus And Sterling and are ready to back Alvarez andPalmer.
The same Trust in Pep brigade - Noooooooo how can Pep sell Sterling and Jesus and replace him with Alvarez and Palmer who are not PL proven. Pep is wrong and we must definitely buy someone form 80/100m for Serie A

Pep wants Phillips - Trust Pep, he know what he is doing - Words of Trust in Pep brigade.

Manchester City sell Jesus And Sterling and are ready to back Alvarez andPalmer.
The same Trust in Pep brigade - Noooooooo how can Pep sell Sterling and Jesus and replace him with Alvarez and Palmer who are not PL proven. Pep is wrong and we must definitely buy someone form 80/100m for Serie A
Is it the same people , have you checked ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.