1956 FA Cup final Manchester City v Birmingham City

S
No, got it from City store, only £30. I never buy the new shirts anymore just the old ones. That one and the SAAB one are my favourites...

My grandson still wears an original Philips red and black checkered 1986/7 shirt to games. It used to be my son’s/his uncle’s back in the day. Always attracts favourable comments from fellow Blues.

I was at the Albert Hall it was a scouting weekend l was 11.A few of my mates wanted City to lose as they were rags. I said you have to support the local team ( a bit naive maybe) anyway that was the day started supporting City .Still got a season ticket as we used to say

One of my earliest City memories. I kept getting confused with this game and the year before. Me dad was listening to it on the radio and I was sent to play outside but I sat on our step and kept running in to find out the score. I was 6. Me dad went to see the homecoming in town.

First went to Maine Road in 1954 and can't remember who the game was against, but after standing behind Bert Trautmann, I was immediately hooked.

Followed by Cup Final appearances in 1955 and 1956 watched avidly on tv, and then my sister was being chased by Colin Barlow. I was the envy of all my kid friends as he came to our house.

Shame she never did go out with him, but sadly married an arrogant rag supporting arsehole - who never stood a fucking chance with me .

Sadly I never had one of the Cup Final shirts .

The footage at the end of the youtube clip of Bert Trautmann is truly staggering (and scary); he has broken his neck and he just lunges head first to block another onrushing forward

The footage at the end of the youtube clip of Bert Trautmann is truly staggering (and scary); he has broken his neck and he just lunges head first to block another onrushing forward

When we watched City play away at Villarreal a few years ago, as we came out of the stadium we met Bert Trautmann who was getting lots of handshakes and attention. We got a chant going, to the tune of Skip to my Lou, of “who won the cup with a broken neck? Super Bert Trautmann”. He absolutely loved it.

The BBC coverage with Kenneth Wolstenholme commenting is much better. At one point you hear the City fans singing which must be the earliest ever recording of such activity in a football ground.

Granada shown the homecoming on the Monday there first ever live outside broadcast, Bert lost his 6 year old son just a few weeks later he was hit by a car in Cheshire, so sad.

When we watched City play away at Villarreal a few years ago, as we came out of the stadium we met Bert Trautmann who was getting lots of handshakes and attention. We got a chant going, to the tune of Skip to my Lou, of “who won the cup with a broken neck? Super Bert Trautmann”. He absolutely loved it.

To paraphrase old misery arse ferguson, he could had been killed (although playing on with a broken neck is completely different to a player having the ball kicked at them)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.