1968 When we were Kings

Eric Todd was a brilliant reporter, covered Lancashire cricket as well. Always thought his would be my dream job.

My old fella brought some pitch home and planted it in garden
Also 36 years ago today my first ever game 5-1 Charlton

I was there that day, my Dad took me. The atmosphere was fantastic insofar as the Newcastle fans appeared to genuinely be pleased City had pipped United to win the league and joined us in the celebrations. Going into the game we were equal on points with United but with a superior goal average, so all that was needed was a win to clinch the title. United were at home to Sunderland which was a gimme home win, so City winning was essential. Of course, the punchline was, we found out listening to the radio in the car on the way home, Sunderland beat United. Ha!
That was my greatest memory as a City fan, right up until Aguero stepped up on 93 minutes to score against QPR, 44 years later. No history.

My brother was 19 that season and he made every single match, home and away. It was a lot worse travelling on "A" roads too, by coach, or cross country on a old rattler train. Most games we only took a couple of hundred away, and it kicked off everywhere. It tended to be, your "top boy" against theirs at some grounds. Mayhem at others, like Forest, Leeds, Scousers, London teams. We have been lucky to have had some great times as City fans. Mid 30's, mid 50's, late 60's, mid to late 70's and the last 10 years. The lean times in between were also part of our make up. I wouldn't swap any of it though for expecting success like the rags and scousers. I hope our fan base stays like it has the last 100 years, and doesn't become entitled.

Reading the article brings home how little had changed at City since probably forever. Well, at least until 2012. Seems sad in a way that the Manchester City DNA has now completely changed. Oh well. Maybe the old City we fell in love with is still lurking within and waiting to come out and play for just a brief while yet…… I’m sure nobody over 45 will complain if it does.
Up the Blues!

My old fella brought some pitch home and planted it in garden
I did the same.

I think I only missed a couple of games, home and away, that season. I went to all matches the previous season. I think I missed a couple of midweek away matches.

It was an amazing match at Newcastle. The crowd seemed to be majority Blue. We arrived very early to avoid being locked out. The match went one way to the other: 0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, 3-4! We were not aware that United were losing at home to Sunderland and that City would be Champions no matter what the result was at Newcastle. The atmoshere was absolutely brilliant.

This carried on to the pub afterwards. I had to restrain my drinking at I was driving back.

Regards picture quality, in the 60s the standard picture definition was 425 lines B & W. Prestige shows were filmed on eg 15 or 35 mm film stock so that they could in part be shown by broadcasters who didn't have the latest transmission equipment. This was why shows like the Prisoner or the Avengers or the Saint "looked" better aesthically than football matches that would have been shot on video using outside broadcast cameras.

Filmstock is much easier to upgrade to dvd or Blu-ray standard, video you won't get as significant picture improvement. BBC started transmitting on the higher definition 625 lines standard in colour in 1970, though presumably most people still had black and white then.

The Newcastle pictures from 68 are very muddy as they were done on video. If the rags game was filmed on filmstock, it would immediately have been better picture quality. Wasn't Gornik also on video, seemed pretty blurred on YouTube?

What all of this nonsense shows is that even then the beeb had their tongues in the rags pie holes. In conclusion both the bbc and the rags are obnoxious twats. Real 'istree, indeed!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.