1969/70 - Man City v West Brom (League Cup Final - 7.3.70)

No….definitely Watford gap Steve……we must have been on the same coach though…..from the Nags Head ?

you’re all luckier than me. We broke down on Saddleworth Moor cutting over from the M1 in my dads old banger (Ford Anglia)

you’re all luckier than me. We broke down on Saddleworth Moor cutting over from the M1 in my dads old banger (Ford Anglia)
I got travel sick in the cortina and puked up in Derby. No idea but was it pre M6?

Never forget going to this game game , went with my brother . Having the horse show wasn't our main worry , we weren't sure if the game would be played due to all the snow . As more snow was expected all the pitch lines were marked out in blue. There was 2 local cockney's sat next to us and City were that good on the day , the 2 cockney's were cheering for City as the game went on . great day, great result , shit pitch .

Thanks for posting this. It was my first trip to Wembley and it was a fantastic match, probably Franny's best game for us. I can remember it more vividly than many of our recent trips to Wembley. We really were a "pass and move" team. Very few long balls. I forgot how great Mike Doyle was at playing out from the back. Not that different to Stones really. Joe Mercer famously described the pitch as "a cabbage patch."
Franny was unplayable, a phenomenal display of ball control and stamina on a shocking ,mud heap of a pitch.

A human dynamo who probably had his finest game of so many

Best, most exciting day of my 13 year old life. First time at Wembley first time in London. Never forget my first sighting of the twin towers from the train. Went to see Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square then a long trip on the Bakerloo line to Wembley Park. The walk up Wembley way seemed far more City than West Brom, right in the back corner of West terrace. Can't remember much about the match, remember dad being horrified at the state of the pitch and we came back to win 2 1. Back in Fleetwood was an object of interest in school as none of the plastic rags or dippers had ever been to London let alone Wembley. Been back many times since but you never forget your first time.

Franny was unplayable, a phenomenal display of ball control and stamina on a shocking ,mud heap of a pitch.

A human dynamo who probably had his finest game of so many
That was his finest ever display for us and it was his stamina and muscular frame that WBA couldn`t cope with.
As the legs got tired Frannys didn`t and he seemed to glide over that mud heap.

We played in Coimbra on the previous Wednesday night, where the temperature was 70F. A bit of a change getting home - it was snowing as we left the airport! We were 6 hours late going to Oporto, too, as they had to clear the snow off the runway before our plane could leave.
Talked to Mike Doyle in the departure lounge at Oporto airport about the final. He said that it would be tight match, but we should win, possibly about 2 - 1! If he'd have said that he would get a goal, I may have put money on it.
Went down overnight, sopping at Leicester services on the M1. Couldn't find the car when we came out, as there were several hundred small snowdrifts where the cars should have been.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.