1970's MCFC

Once we were young, 70s and 80s were the days when I went home and away with my mates, the big difference then we all respected one another and stuck together, no matter where you were from, on the special there were lads form every corner of Greater Manchester it was a very dangerous period especially going away to certain grounds, enjoyed the experience and look back with good memories.

In those days there were loads of mobs. Totally different back then.

I travelled to aways either hiring my own vans or on coaches we chartered or on Donalds coaches or go/jib on service trains
It was Fred who used to hire the mini-buses so I presume he was a bit older than me as you had to be 21 to hire a mini- bus in those days, and I was 20 through out the 76-77 season when I did about 10 away games.
He always went to Salford Van Hire and then he would pick us up in town before carrying on and collecting the south Manchester lads from various pubs in Chorlton and Burnage.
The 2 trips that stick in my mind was Bristol City away in early 77 when City were on a 16 game unbeaten run.
We went down overnight and ended up in Bristol around 6am ,slightly the worse for wear after sleeping in the bus on the way down.
We had a stroll around the city centre and met a few Bristol City fans who were bricking it that 10,000 City fans were about to descend on Bristol and tear it apart.
We ended up in a bier kellar at 10.30am and got pissed by midday, pity about the result as City lost their unbeaten run.
The other match was a few weeks later vs Derby County(the one when Big Joe made them paint the penalty spot) and we got beat 4-1.
Fred couldn't get a mini- bus from SVH so we all ended up in the back of a Transit Luton.
We had the rear shutter up and we were all hanging onto cargo straps for dear life.
As we made our way down the A6 we went through all the little towns like New Mills,Whaley Bridge, Buxton etc.
And at the bus stops going to OT were United fans in their red scarves.
We gave them loads of abuse,plus threw a few apple cores and empty drink cans at them,which really wound them up but they couldn't do anything about it.
Happy Days, to be young and daft again!!

Last edited:
Once we were young, 70s and 80s were the days when I went home and away with my mates, the big difference then we all respected one another and stuck together, no matter where you were from, on the special there were lads form every corner of Greater Manchester it was a very dangerous period especially going away to certain grounds, enjoyed the experience and look back with good memories.
My thoughts exactly.
We sometimes argued with each other on the way to the game, but once there we were a band of blue brothers who always looked out for each other when trouble was brewing.

Truly great times,im so glad that experienced them.

The media was very different. Don't think I ever saw us live on TV in the 70s (I started in73) Club football on the box was restricted to FA Cup finals and European Cup Finals .
Plenty of commentary matches on the radio, only the 2nd half though and the away European ones always sounded like there was a sock on the microphone!
Slightly more 'obscure' TV, I remember Colin Bell on 'Superstars', and the annual 5 a side tournament from Wembley Arena (I think) which was shown on 'Sports night'
Most 'obscure' was a show City took part in mid/late 70s (at Ashton Gate I believe) where first team players from a number of sides took part in a series of football related games( 'all in the game' I believe it was called) Couldn't image Pep agreeing to KDB or Raheem taking part in such a thing these days!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.