2 | Kyle Walker - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a poor decision but to be fair he made up for it afterwards. It was his run that lead to the Alvarez chance and his desire to win the ball back that lead to Rodri's winner.

I'm not a big fan of him playing high and wide though. It's a big contrast to seeing Mahrez receive the ball out there knowing he'll control it first time and be able to progress the attack quickly. Walker's inferior technical ability means he's more likely to miscontrol it and needs more touches before he can pass it. It's just not as slick and the move is more likely to break down is basically what I'm saying. It also puts more responsibility on him to cross which we all know isn't his strongest asset. I prefer him on the right of the back three like how we used him towards the end of last season where he can focus primarily on defending.
I agree with you entirely. I think the change was enforced yesterday because nobody in the back-four could play the "Stones role". In time we might see Gvardiol do it, but yesterday it seemed like a more orthodox back-four with full-backs pushing forward.

No doubt Walker made a mistake and compounded it by not getting up (I think he thought that by being off the pitch he wouldn't be playing everyone onside), but it's his first big mistake in a long time, and he was instrumental in restoring our lead.

It was a poor decision but to be fair he made up for it afterwards. It was his run that lead to the Alvarez chance and his desire to win the ball back that lead to Rodri's winner.

I'm not a big fan of him playing high and wide though. It's a big contrast to seeing Mahrez receive the ball out there knowing he'll control it first time and be able to progress the attack quickly. Walker's inferior technical ability means he's more likely to miscontrol it and needs more touches before he can pass it. It's just not as slick and the move is more likely to break down is basically what I'm saying. It also puts more responsibility on him to cross which we all know isn't his strongest asset. I prefer him on the right of the back three like how we used him towards the end of last season where he can focus primarily on defending.
Yeah, without a winger who could stick to the touchline and control the rhythm, the best role for Walker would be staying behind and defend opponent's speedster like Mbappé. The less he has the ball in the final third, the safer the team are.

Spot on, mate.

I'm pretty sure it was unpopular but I was fine with moving on from him. I'm not upset in the slightest that he's still a blue but I do wish we had a more 'modern' fullback in games like this. If Lewis isn't trusted to defend against Sheffield United and the odd counter every now and then, then IDK where he's going to get minutes.
Him moving on wasnt the problem, it was him going to Bayern that was a 'no no'. He had a decent game otherwise. He's playing too high and wide for me his best posistion is the RCB in a defensive 3, I would've liked to see Rico Lewis play in the posistion Kyle played yesterday he offers more in the final third and had Dias behind as cover.

I agree with you entirely. I think the change was enforced yesterday because nobody in the back-four could play the "Stones role". In time we might see Gvardiol do it, but yesterday it seemed like a more orthodox back-four with full-backs pushing forward.

No doubt Walker made a mistake and compounded it by not getting up (I think he thought that by being off the pitch he wouldn't be playing everyone onside), but it's his first big mistake in a long time, and he was instrumental in restoring our lead.

I hope not as he doesn't understand the rules if he thought that. Only an attacker off the pitch is deemed inactive. All defenders are deemed active no matter where they are

Dropped an absolute clanger yesterday and he knew it - you could see by his reaction and how he made up for it afterwards.

Thought he’d had a very strong game until that point, even if some of his balls were like cannonballs being fired!

Rodri got him out of jail, but Walker’s immediate acknowledgement of his own mistake and efforts to rectify it mean I can forgive him for it. I’m sure it will be the last back pass he tries to pull off in his own box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.