2 | Kyle Walker - 2023/24

He had a tough day but he was, for me , one of City's better players on the day. If it wasn't for him Diaz probably would have scored had he not prevented what was probably a certain goal from six yards out, when Liverpool were right on top in the second half.
If he paid attention then Diaz wouldn't have had any chances anyway.

Time and time again this year his positioning and awareness is awful and he relies on his speed to get him out of shit situations he causes.

He's been woeful going forwards and woeful going backwards all season, but he was exposed several times yesterday. Not a leader either.

Very surprised Pep didn't bring on Rico as he is much better in possession. Would have Rico in every day before Walker or revert to Akanji at right back which won us a treble.

Underappreciated. Sure he compensates for his positioning with pace, but its like complaining why Messi's right foot isn't as good as his left foot. Kyle is a warrior, always wanted him at Madrid, would have been the perfect fullback for us.

Underappreciated. Sure he compensates for his positioning with pace, but its like complaining why Messi's right foot isn't as good as his left foot. Kyle is a warrior, always wanted him at Madrid, would have been the perfect fullback for us.
He’s been the perfect full back for us. Nobody is debating that. The problem is, the current version is not perfect, far from it. He couldn’t hold down a regular place last season and somehow he has gone from that, to playing every week and given the captaincy, even though his performances have gotten steadily worse. It’s mind-boggling.

He has been an absolute legend for us but we really need to finally get a proper left back and a replacement for him. Our current system is leaving us wide open and teams are just ripping through us with 1 good pass due to a combination of zero pace in midfield and the current tactics.
He is the only one we have with pace but he offers nothing anymore going forward

If he paid attention then Diaz wouldn't have had any chances anyway.

Time and time again this year his positioning and awareness is awful and he relies on his speed to get him out of shit situations he causes.

He's been woeful going forwards and woeful going backwards all season, but he was exposed several times yesterday. Not a leader either.

Very surprised Pep didn't bring on Rico as he is much better in possession. Would have Rico in every day before Walker or revert to Akanji at right back which won us a treble.
Agreed about Walker's positional play. Playing to be a responsible captain, Walker suddenly makes supporting runs that make no sense and he leaves his own position. Should focus on his main job.

Missing alternatives are our problem though.
As you say Akanji could well cover RB but Stones won't play a full season - and his cover is Akanji. Rotation.

Lewis has to get to PL physicality, he's far from that. If he had what Bradley offers it would be a different story. Even our Argy fighter Alvarez was impressed by Bradley and Aké had his problems too.

Walker remains our regular RB for the time being.

I thought he had a decent game defensively considering we were under the cosh a fair bit

His crossing is dreadful though, hits it way too hard

He’s been the perfect full back for us. Nobody is debating that. The problem is, the current version is not perfect, far from it. He couldn’t hold down a regular place last season and somehow he has gone from that, to playing every week and given the captaincy, even though his performances have gotten steadily worse. It’s mind-boggling.

The captaincy is irrelevant. The players determine who is captain and he got their vote. Let's not forget this is a man who, despite being on the bench for the CL final, gave a pre-match speech to boost the team before that game. He's clearly well regarded and respected within the squad and they were incredibly happy he chose to stay. His personal issues have undoubtedly impacted his form, and the amount of game time he has it feels like that pre-season meal with Pep got him a bit more of a guarantee in order to stay because he hasn't justified it. I'd much prefer to see Akanji over him at the moment. He's always been poor positionally and reliant on pace, but it fucking works. This season he seems so far out of position even that doesn't help him recover. He's had a few lapses in concentration and as I said, I'm not sure why Pep has played him.

Against Liverpool and Arsenal and the likes of PSG/Real etc with fast wide players you'd still expect him to start. But otherwise, I'd be benching him to ensure he gets his focus back.

Even after letting the match sink in, I maintain he wasn't that bad. That's just my opinion, and I'm FAR from an Alvarez 'defender'.

Really?

Alvarez was horrific yesterday.

Most of the team was poor individually but he had an absolute shocker.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.