#20 | Bernardo Silva - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a lovely guy and works hard but aside from the odd good game he has had one standout season since he's been here. For a player of his ability you expect more goals and assists than we get.

He's a lovely guy and works hard but aside from the odd good game he has had one standout season since he's been here. For a player of his ability you expect more goals and assists than we get.
I agree entirely with your comments. We all know about his running and effort but for a long time now sadly he has flattered to deceive. He used to look really dangerous coming in from the left and scored some really good goals. But he is now way behind the likes of KDB, Foden and Gundogan in his contribution to the team.

His skill on the ball is not in question and I hope he can turn things around.

He played really well in the RCM role, when Cancelo was tucking in on his side.

This gave him the role of basically being everywhere he needed to be, and with his engine and control, I think that suited him perfectly. Throw in the odd goal and assist in that and we have a very good player.

I think you neuter that when you play him up top in a double false 9, because if we press, oh those 2 strikers are bypassed, okay then he is now useless, his running, while alot, is pointless up top.

The problem was that Cancelo started making mistakes and got dropped (as did Rodri), so without Cancelo we saw an inferior version of Bernie.

I really don't think it's a coincidence that we saw the best of Gundogan, Bernie and Cancelo, when all 3 played together. Gundogan benefitted from Bernie dropping deeper as well. While he plays the midfield 2 role fine, I like Bernie doing that, and letting Gundogan higher up.

Really hope when Pep analyzes the season again, he sees that period when we were at our "peak", those 3 were absolutely massive to that. Hope he isn't sold.

Edit: Just to add, since Pep played that last game without Dinho and Rodri, I believe the first time all season, I don't see why we can't play something like this:

Foden------------Striker---------Mahrez
------Gundogan----Bernie-----KdB

Just play Gundogan, Bernie and KdB in the midfield, then when Cancelo tucks in, those 3 have freedom to push up.

Bernardo is best when playing Kev's role. It is simple to see that when Kev was out with the long term injury injury Bernie flourished

Hope he stays, but he is being utilised currently as a workhorse because his fitness levels are off the chart

His biggest problem appears to be that he is TOO versatile and can play in TOO MANY positions!

With Foden, he is the best utility attacking midfielder at the club. His energy levels are otherworldly, his contribution is far more like David Silva than Phil Foden provides, because Foden has more speed and is more dynamic than David ever was.

As others have stated, if we would simply give him A position, we could, perhaps, compare him to others. However, given the “portfolio” approach to his appearances, it’s unfair to compare him to any one player, as he can cover about 5 positions.

He is a relatively low paid, high energy, 7/10, no drama, hard working player that every club in Europe would want. He holds the ball as well as anyone in the squad, puts in more work than most, and has shown himself happy to play a bit part at times.

I think it would be a huge mistake to remove KDB’s natural relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.