20 years ago today. One of the best comebacks of all time

I wasn’t there, but my Spurs supporting brother in law was there with his son. At half-time with Spurs 3-0 up, he turned to his son and said “You can relax now and just enjoy the second half!”…

He made a brilliant double save to keep us in it. Is there any reason the numbers have the premier league logos in an FA cup game?
Just how it was back then and before they realised extra revenue could be made by producing a different shirt font set for FA cup games although we don’t wear the FA Cup patches on shirts in the fixtures due the rivalry with the FA Cup sponsors.

One of the greatest FA Cup comebacks of modern times.

This fixture has such a special meaning to me as my lad Harvey-James, 9 months old at the time was fighting for his life at a nearby London hospital as he battled meningococcal septicaemia, a deadly form of meningitis, I'd barley left his side for almost two weeks and had a ticket for the game, some friends had offered to pick me up from the hospital and drop me back afterwards but I couldn't leave his side so decided not to go,

I watched as the scores flicked up on my mobile(Nokia6410) phone and remember thinking to myself as the Spurs goals went in “Thanks City, you couldn't even give me a result to lift my mood". So what followed was simply fantastic which gave me a massive boost at the time.

Harvey, then went on to stage his very own remarkable comeback as he made an almost full recovery, Despite amputations to his hands and feet he's the bubbly character you’ll see by my side on most match days and turns 21 next month.

It really felt like at the time that result was sent from above to cheer us up...Typical City !!!

View attachment 106069

A good looking lad their City_shirts.

So pleased that he goes to City with you, you cant beat going with you kids :)

john-macken-manchester-city.jpg

One of those where you know you are beaten so the pressure is off. Quite a few were leaving at half time, as you couldn't get a drink after 15 mins before the kick-off at Spurs or Arsenal in those days.

Left a few minutes after the final whistle and didn't really see any trouble. We had lost there in the League Cup a few months earlier, brought it back to 2-1 and lost 3-1 in the end, so was expecting similar at 3-2. At 3-3 was just hoping for a goal for either side as didn't want extra time and a slow death.

Spurs scored every chance they had in the first half, and City did the same in the second half. City's new 'keeper was very poor despite the double save, non-league standard.

I didn’t go, funny, but in an odd sense, we were 3-0 down, Barton had just been sent off, and my then wife came downstairs and asked me if I was watching the second half (daft question anyway but as she was a rag it was the type of thing she would have done) but I said ‘ no’ and told her as daft as it sounds, I’ve seriously got this feeling we’re going to win this, she rolled her eyes and trotted off.

I’ve no idea where that came from, but that night, I just genuinely got this vibe we were going to do it, never hd it before, or since, in some ways whilst not spoiling it, rather than running around shouting and cheering, I was laughing my bollocks off when Macken scored, fuckin typical City I thought ( the positive side).

john-macken-manchester-city.jpg

One of those where you know you are beaten so the pressure is off. Quite a few were leaving at half time, as you couldn't get a drink after 15 mins before the kick-off at Spurs or Arsenal in those days.

Left a few minutes after the final whistle and didn't really see any trouble. We had lost there in the League Cup a few months earlier, brought it back to 2-1 and lost 3-1 in the end, so was expecting similar at 3-2. At 3-3 was just hoping for a goal for either side as didn't want extra time and a slow death.

Spurs scored every chance they had in the first half, and City did the same in the second half. City's new 'keeper was very poor despite the double save, non-league standard.
My uncle was one of those that left at half-time. He still can’t believe what he missed!

Imagine going all that way on a school night and missing one of the greatest comebacks in FA Cup history.

My uncle was one of those that left at half-time. He still can’t believe what he missed!

Imagine going all that way on a school night and missing one of the greatest comebacks in FA Cup history.
We decided we would wait until 4-0 and go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.