2019 Summer Window - Whom do we Need ? - Whom will we Sign?

Yes mate, I’ve heard of him. He plays in a Micky mouse league. I’ve no idea what he’d be like in England. I do find it funny though that you offer up a squad laying things on a plate as criticism of Jesus, are you saying PSG don’t set up Mbappe??

Jesus made his own goal vs Burnley in his last start..

Jesus is exceptional, he’s already a better all round striker than Aguero, he just lacks the guile, experience and explosiveness of Aguero. He’s certainly way ahead of where Aguero was at the same age.

We need a left back & cover for Fernandinho as well as an alternative to Fernandinho.
Absolutely agree about cover/replacement for the aging Ferndandinho - and LB is a sore spot too.

But as far as striker goes - the players I've mentioned in the previous post have the capability of single-handedly dragging their sides to victory through moments of sheer brilliance - and each of them have shown so time and again over the course of their careers. Add to the above Neymar and Suarez (the one that bites people) off the top of my head, and many others.

The point being - Jesus is OK - he's not in the same class of any of the strikers I've mentioned - he may or may not eventually get there - meanwhile I think that we need to be pursuing alternatives.

To get a better idea of what I'd want to see at striker...

Watch some of the highlights of Ibrahimovic at Milan - or Messi at, of course, Barcelona - or the real Ronaldo at Brazil - Henry at Arsenal - and so on. Jesus is nowhere near this level of performance. Not even close.

As a side striving to be world best - we need to spot potential stars of this caliber and recruit them to our side. Jesus so far isn't cutting it.

Last edited:
I have an idea here that may be kinda left field for DM cover and the option to replace Dinho. Firstly, I do clarify that IMO, FDJ was a miss. Jorginho might have been great had he turned up to be coached under Pep. Fred is just NO. Plays too similarly to an early Dinho and may be more 50-50 if he will actually turn out the same. Because Dinho's role is actually more brains than brawn. It requires a tactically astute mind to play there.

So, back to the options around. There have been a plethora of names linked to City. Setting pricing aside, there are many names alot of us will take in a heartbeat. In truth, I think it is down to a matter of how well and how much the new player can actually replicate Dinho's current duties and playing style. In my humble opinion, I am not rooting for Neves and Ndombele, or even our own Gundogan. All three are probably better off closer to the box. This makes Aouar and Rice better bets. But they are still not my first choice. And in the process, I thought of the probably impossible-to-attain Verratti. But recent City has a habit of not bombing over a self-imposed transfer fee cap for players.

Going full circle, I returned to one name. That is Matthijs De Ligt. Yes, I am well aware he plays CB for Ajax. But I am also aware he is a modern ball-playing CB, packed with leadership qualities at a young age and has been trained in Ajax's academy, that plays a similar ethos of football to Barca or City. And to add, FDJ did start out at CB as well. De Ligt is defensively-sound, an attribute that is low-key important to the Dinho role. Off the ball, Dinho is not just about winning the ball back but also about transitioning from defending to attacking, starting from him. When threatened, Dinho makes tactical decisions to halt the opponent's counterattacks. Many will expect a Guardiola DM to be more of ball retention but I will point out that Dinho contributes way more than that. Whenever Gundogan is stuck into that role, he lacks the defensive nous of Dinho and hence, is always an element missing from being able to fully replicate Dinho's duties. I will not go deeper into the other obvious qualities of De Ligt.

I thank you for reading my humble analysis thus far. I am no expert. This is merely my speculation. And of course, what I presume will be an ideal scenario for the DM situation. I have a feeling City is gearing up to put in a stronger approach for De Ligt and seems more interested in him than FDJ. Again, pure speculation from me. Alternatively, in all honesty, getting Sebastian Rudy in on the short-term gives City a longer time to find more suitable targets and evaluate the younger players further. And that, for me, is the next best move if my De Ligt fantasy does not come to fruition.

Just to point out, I will not go as far as to call myself a fan. But I do really enjoy Pep's football, his brilliant tactical mind and watching City unfold on the pitch. They are, IMO, the best team I have watched in the Prem, ever since I started watching football. I am enjoying looking at the City project prosper and will just like to share some of my opinions here. Thank you.

Absolutely agree about cover/replacement for the aging Ferndandinho - and LB is a sore spot too.

But as far as striker goes - the players I've mentioned in the previous post have the capability of single-handedly dragging their sides to victory through moments of sheer brilliance - and each of them have shown so time and again over the course of their careers. Add to the above Neymar and Suarez (the one that bites people) off the top of my head, and many others.

The point being - Jesus is OK - he's not in the same class of any of the strikers I've mentioned - he may or may not eventually get there - meanwhile I think that we need to be pursuing alternatives.

To get a better idea of what I'd want to see at striker...

Watch some of the highlights of Ibrahimovic at Milan - or Messi at, of course, Barcelona - or the real Ronaldo at Brazil - Henry at Arsenal - and so on. Jesus is nowhere near this level of performance. Not even close.

As a side striving to be world best - we need to spot potential stars of this caliber and recruit them to our side. Jesus so far isn't cutting it.

Sorry, but you’ve obviously not watched a lot of football if you don’t think Jesus is in the same class as Aubameyang or fucking Higuain.

Jesus is at a similar level at the same age to Ronaldo, who’d just left Holland. Henry was a failed winger at 21 who was stinking the place out at Juve. Not even going to talk about Ibrahamovic.

“Jesus so far isn’t cutting it”

He’s 21, scores at about a goal every 100 minutes & is 1 in 2 for Brazil.

He’s been on fire whenever he’s had a run of games.

Again though, he’s 21 years old.

For me, we need to kill the problems at left back once and for all. Zinchenko and Delph: forget about them at the back, it's not their best position and we learned that from our losing streak in December. Honestly, neither of them should make it into City's starting eleven considering the quality we have on all the other positions.

I would like to count on Mendy but we cannot enter season three with him only to end up with Delph due to another injury. Ben Chilwell has the age, is homegrown and actually looks like a really stable left back. Good crossing, heading. He is perfect for City. Another dream signing is Matthijs De Ligt. He was always an even bigger talent than De Jong. Kompany is (probably) facing his last season for City, Otamendi is struggling with game time and doesn't seem like Pep's favorite. Waiting another year for De Ligt will be too late as all of Europe are after him. Only 19, he has been huge when facing CR7, Lewandowski, Mbappe. I can't think of a better CB in the world under 20. He is the Mbappe of defenders.
Lastly: a new Fernandinho. But I have no idea who would fit the bill.

Sorry, but you’ve obviously not watched a lot of football if you don’t think Jesus is in the same class as Aubameyang or fucking Higuain.

Jesus is at a similar level at the same age to Ronaldo, who’d just left Holland. Henry was a failed winger at 21 who was stinking the place out at Juve. Not even going to talk about Ibrahamovic.

Love GJ and think he's the best possible replacement for Aguero, but the bolded statement is ridiculous. He's not even close. At 21 Ronaldo was widely acclaimed as world's best player.

Ronaldo's debut at Barca (19 yo):

Last edited:
I have an idea here that may be kinda left field for DM cover and the option to replace Dinho. Firstly, I do clarify that IMO, FDJ was a miss. Jorginho might have been great had he turned up to be coached under Pep. Fred is just NO. Plays too similarly to an early Dinho and may be more 50-50 if he will actually turn out the same. Because Dinho's role is actually more brains than brawn. It requires a tactically astute mind to play there.

So, back to the options around. There have been a plethora of names linked to City. Setting pricing aside, there are many names alot of us will take in a heartbeat. In truth, I think it is down to a matter of how well and how much the new player can actually replicate Dinho's current duties and playing style. In my humble opinion, I am not rooting for Neves and Ndombele, or even our own Gundogan. All three are probably better off closer to the box. This makes Aouar and Rice better bets. But they are still not my first choice. And in the process, I thought of the probably impossible-to-attain Verratti. But recent City has a habit of not bombing over a self-imposed transfer fee cap for players.

Going full circle, I returned to one name. That is Matthijs De Ligt. Yes, I am well aware he plays CB for Ajax. But I am also aware he is a modern ball-playing CB, packed with leadership qualities at a young age and has been trained in Ajax's academy, that plays a similar ethos of football to Barca or City. And to add, FDJ did start out at CB as well. De Ligt is defensively-sound, an attribute that is low-key important to the Dinho role. Off the ball, Dinho is not just about winning the ball back but also about transitioning from defending to attacking, starting from him. When threatened, Dinho makes tactical decisions to halt the opponent's counterattacks. Many will expect a Guardiola DM to be more of ball retention but I will point out that Dinho contributes way more than that. Whenever Gundogan is stuck into that role, he lacks the defensive nous of Dinho and hence, is always an element missing from being able to fully replicate Dinho's duties. I will not go deeper into the other obvious qualities of De Ligt.

I thank you for reading my humble analysis thus far. I am no expert. This is merely my speculation. And of course, what I presume will be an ideal scenario for the DM situation. I have a feeling City is gearing up to put in a stronger approach for De Ligt and seems more interested in him than FDJ. Again, pure speculation from me. Alternatively, in all honesty, getting Sebastian Rudy in on the short-term gives City a longer time to find more suitable targets and evaluate the younger players further. And that, for me, is the next best move if my De Ligt fantasy does not come to fruition.

Just to point out, I will not go as far as to call myself a fan. But I do really enjoy Pep's football, his brilliant tactical mind and watching City unfold on the pitch. They are, IMO, the best team I have watched in the Prem, ever since I started watching football. I am enjoying looking at the City project prosper and will just like to share some of my opinions here. Thank you.

I think the defensive role Fern offers is the bit which City will need to replace & is the bit which is difficult.

Pep would easily find somebody to jog around knocking passes about, but finding someone who can do the other side of the job, combined with football talent, is not going to be easy.

It's an interesting idea you have & something I wondered myself when we were continually linked with De Ligt, as we really don't need a young cb at this stage.

Don't bother with him. Tried telling him the same thing on another post and was asked if he's as good as Messi lol

Yes mate, I’ve heard of him. He plays in a Micky mouse league. I’ve no idea what he’d be like in England. I do find it funny though that you offer up a squad laying things on a plate as criticism of Jesus, are you saying PSG don’t set up Mbappe??

Jesus made his own goal vs Burnley in his last start..

Jesus is exceptional, he’s already a better all round striker than Aguero, he just lacks the guile, experience and explosiveness of Aguero. He’s certainly way ahead of where Aguero was at the same age.

We need a left back & cover for Fernandinho as well as an alternative to Fernandinho.
Already a better all round striker yet lacks something??? Contradicting yourself there. Don’t worry though suggesting Jesus is better than Aguero in itself signposted you as a wrong un

Nope.

Kev plays that role with aplomb.

Foden could play in midfield with either of the Silvas and/or Fern and Kev could drop into the role Gundogan usually plays.
You don't seem to understand what I said, or the situation we have constantly found ourselves in.

Gundogan can occasionally play as the defensive midfielder, unlike Kevin, but he can also play next to Dinho as can Kevin. Also, Kevin has been injured for so much of the season, who plays next to Dinho if Kevin is injured? Foden you say, your asking Foden to play deeper because Foden would have to be playing with the Silvas as well, something has to give that isn't ideal.

Also, barring Foden, Pep played all of our midfielders in the last game; 2x Silvas, Kevin, Dinho and Gundogan all played. Pep wanted more midfielder to control the game I suppose, now your asking him to get rid of one of his midfielders, when he played almost all of them.

You have bias towards Gundogan, he is valuable to the team. I'm sorry you are wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.