2020/21 - A New Season

I remember after the poor 16/17 season how our 17/18 preseason was one of the best I can remember. Not only had we gone out and purchased players to address our clear weaknesses (GK and full backs), we were looking the real deal even before a ball had been kicked in a competitive game. I particularly remember the game against Spurs on the US tour, where we tore them apart and I really believed we were about to see something very special in the season ahead.

I contrast that with where we are at now and it is very difficult to make a case for seeing any real improvement in 20/21 over 19/20. Ake might be an improvement over Stones and Otamendi but it is still be seen how he steps up to our level coming from a terrible Bournemouth side. Torres is something of an unknown quantity, yes he is extremely promising but can he do it week in, week out in the Prem? Will he even get the opportunity to do so?

We moved so quickly for Torres and Ake that I didn't believe we would get another month further down the line without any further signings. I think only those looking through the bluest of tinted glasses can honestly believe we have strengthened enough to change our fortunes. Granted there is another month left in the transfer window but if the last few seasons are anything to go by, we may have dropped too many points by the end of the window, to have any potential last-minute signings make any difference to our league campaign.

Currently we are not good enough at centre back. We are nothing more than serviceable in the full back positions. Our CDMs are too slow and offer zero protection to our limited centre backs. I don't believe we are good enough at right wing and Serg is a year older coming off the back of an injury. To ask our current crop to take us to 90+ points is a big ask given our clear deficiencies. I am currently more hopeful (wishful) of Liverpool dropping off their pace of the past two seasons than I am of us stepping back up to our 17/18 and 18/19 levels.

The problem I foresee for us, is if we are at our 19/20 levels next season, we will be in a top 4 battle, instead of a title challenge and that is not good enough.

Can’t remember being less excited for a season. COVID restrictions, VAR, no Silva, few of our lads getting pelters from every direction. No real exciting signings as yet. No away days on the horizon. Grim.

What's really sad about the coming season is the chances of supporters getting back in stadiums is fast fading into infinity. The only hope is a working vaccine by Christmas if not we can just right the season off.

I remember after the poor 16/17 season how our 17/18 preseason was one of the best I can remember. Not only had we gone out and purchased players to address our clear weaknesses (GK and full backs), we were looking the real deal even before a ball had been kicked in a competitive game. I particularly remember the game against Spurs on the US tour, where we tore them apart and I really believed we were about to see something very special in the season ahead.

I contrast that with where we are at now and it is very difficult to make a case for seeing any real improvement in 20/21 over 19/20. Ake might be an improvement over Stones and Otamendi but it is still be seen how he steps up to our level coming from a terrible Bournemouth side. Torres is something of an unknown quantity, yes he is extremely promising but can he do it week in, week out in the Prem? Will he even get the opportunity to do so?

We moved so quickly for Torres and Ake that I didn't believe we would get another month further down the line without any further signings. I think only those looking through the bluest of tinted glasses can honestly believe we have strengthened enough to change our fortunes. Granted there is another month left in the transfer window but if the last few seasons are anything to go by, we may have dropped too many points by the end of the window, to have any potential last-minute signings make any difference to our league campaign.

Currently we are not good enough at centre back. We are nothing more than serviceable in the full back positions. Our CDMs are too slow and offer zero protection to our limited centre backs. I don't believe we are good enough at right wing and Serg is a year older coming off the back of an injury. To ask our current crop to take us to 90+ points is a big ask given our clear deficiencies. I am currently more hopeful (wishful) of Liverpool dropping off their pace of the past two seasons than I am of us stepping back up to our 17/18 and 18/19 levels.

The problem I foresee for us, is if we are at our 19/20 levels next season, we will be in a top 4 battle, instead of a title challenge and that is not good enough.
Good summary, I agree with most of that

We still need a top class centre half and a top class striker if we hope to return to anywhere near our form of 17/18 and 18/19. Where I disagree with you is that I expect enough of a drop off from the dippers that even a small upswing in our form (and fortune) will see us in very close contention for the title.

Slightly worried about the start of the season with Laporte and Mahrez Covid positive, Bernardo thigh injury, Ake possible hamstrung and Foden with personal issues at the very least.
Not exactly the best pre season.
Hopefully Kun will be ok but he will need some time to get match fit.
We can’t afford to have a slow start given how much the other top teams seem to have strengthened in the last few months.
Let’s hope we get a few good breaks for a change....

Slightly worried about the start of the season with Laporte and Mahrez Covid positive, Bernardo thigh injury, Ake possible hamstrung and Foden with personal issues at the very least.
Not exactly the best pre season.
Hopefully Kun will be ok but he will need some time to get match fit.
We can’t afford to have a slow start given how much the other top teams seem to have strengthened in the last few months.
Let’s hope we get a few good breaks for a change....
I may missed something... what happened to Bernardo and Ake?... Ps..Im on holidays

I may missed something... what happened to Bernardo and Ake?... Ps..Im on holidays
Bernardo went off with a thigh injury tonight and Ake limped off holding his right hammy yesterday...could have been cramp with any luck but we ain’t getting any of that at the minute.

Bernardo went off with a thigh injury tonight and Ake limped off holding his right hammy yesterday...could have been cramp with any luck but we ain’t getting any of that at the minute.
Thank you....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.