2022 World Cup Discussion

It’s interesting, a lot of people are picking Argentina or Brazil

I have quite a few friends in both of those countries and most of them feel they can’t compete with European teams these days. The Brazilians I know, while hopeful, feel they will probably lose if they come up against one of the top European teams like England.

Then a lot of English folks think we’ll be dumped out if we come up against someone like Brazil.

So it just shows how our perspectives differ in relation to where we are.

South American World Cup qualifying is tricky. You play in all sorts of climates and at altitude and in hostile environments. Both came through unbeaten. Perhaps the level across South America has fallen slightly, with Chile and Uruguay not quite the teams of old, but that's still impressive. They also both met in the final of the Copa America. I see them as strong contenders considering the heat in Qatar which will be more of an issue for the European teams. It will still be touching 30 or high 20s for the majority of the games.

It's hard to gauge exactly where the European teams are. The Nations League seems to be a blend of experimentation and those looking to test their best teams. Hungary did well in England's group off the back of finishing 4th in our WC qualifying group for example. Italy won the group but didn't make the WC after winning the Euro's! There are question marks over most teams which is why I think Argentina or Brazil will win it.

I have a feeling this years winner might be a bit of wild card

Anyway I do think Argentina can be right up there. I just find it interesting how we big them up but the South Americans I know are adamant their teams these days can’t live with good European sides. But maybe it’s just because apart from Argentina in 2014, no South American team has had a chance of winning it since 2002, 20 years ago! The last World Cup had all semi finalist hailing from Europe. So you can see why some might feel that way.

So it just goes to show me that the England fans being negative about England chances probably isn’t a true indicator of England’s actual chances because fans of other countries pretty much feel the same way about their team.

Generally if the tournament is in Europe a European team wins it and if it's anywhere else in the World a South American team wins it. The exceptions are in 1958 (Sweden) when Brazil beat the hosts and Germany in 2014 (Brazil) when they beat Argentina in the final, having battered Brazil in the semi's. Spain won the South African world cup and I think Uruguay made it to the semi's but it was all European otherwise.

On that basis, the South American's have a better chance especially as they've got strong teams with a good record. You'd still expect some European teams to make the latter stages and the predictor I've done as part of a work sweepstake has Brazil v Argentina in the semi finals... we'll see! The Netherlands and Germany always tend to go quite far in WC's.

England will have to win a shootout at some point and Toney should have gone just for that over someone like Gallagher who will realistically never get on the pitch. At what point of a game is he the man you'd turn to when you have Maddison/Grealish etc.

Generally if the tournament is in Europe a European team wins it and if it's anywhere else in the World a South American team wins it. The exceptions are in 1958 (Sweden) when Brazil beat the hosts and Germany in 2014 (Brazil) when they beat Argentina in the final, having battered Brazil in the semi's. Spain won the South African world cup and I think Uruguay made it to the semi's but it was all European otherwise.

On that basis, the South American's have a better chance especially as they've got strong teams with a good record. You'd still expect some European teams to make the latter stages and the predictor I've done as part of a work sweepstake has Brazil v Argentina in the semi finals... we'll see! The Netherlands and Germany always tend to go quite far in WC's.

England will have to win a shootout at some point and Toney should have gone just for that over someone like Gallagher who will realistically never get on the pitch. At what point of a game is he the man you'd turn to when you have Maddison/Grealish etc.

I’ve got either Brazil or Argentina reaching the final. So I’m certainly not writing them off, they have a great chance, I was just pointing out my friends in those countries serious doubt, like a lot of England fans do about England.

I guess once you get to the final, it’s anyones game, anything can happen at that point. We are a better side than Chelsea but not on the night we played them in the CL final. That’s football

So I can never predict who I think will win the whole thing, but I do feel we’ll see either Brazil or Argentina go as far as the final

But part of me still thinks we’ll get an unexpected winner.

Reactions: mat
I’ve got either Brazil or Argentina reaching the final. So I’m certainly not writing them off, they have a great chance, I was just pointing out my friends in those countries serious doubt, like a lot of England fans do about England.

I guess once you get to the final, it’s anyones game, anything can happen at that point. We are a better side than Chelsea but not on the night we played them in the CL final. That’s football

So I can never predict who I think will win the whole thing, but I do feel we’ll see either Brazil or Argentina go as far as the final

But part of me still thinks we’ll get an unexpected winner.
I feel the same. It'll add to strangeness of this tournament.

I've noticed the lack of hype compared to previous competitions.

FIFA may well be regretting it as the hosts have put more rules in stifling certain sponsorship coverage.

I have a feeling this years winner might be a bit of wild card

Anyway I do think Argentina can be right up there. I just find it interesting how we big them up but the South Americans I know are adamant their teams these days can’t live with good European sides. But maybe it’s just because apart from Argentina in 2014, no South American team has had a chance of winning it since 2002, 20 years ago! The last World Cup had all semi finalist hailing from Europe. So you can see why some might feel that way.

So it just goes to show me that the England fans being negative about England chances probably isn’t a true indicator of England’s actual chances because fans of other countries pretty much feel the same way about their team.
Indeed the US will win it. You heard it first on bluemoon.

If you can find each way on top 4 it's probably not a bad bet, I'm sure we nearly all remember South Korea in 02.

I’m not sure apart from being hosts, there is an awful lot in common. South Korea were a semi decent team, with players drawn from leagues in Europe and around the world. All Qatar’s squad play in their national league. They wouldn’t be within a million miles of the finals if they weren’t hosts. You can have Saudi Arabia at 500 points bigger if you’re looking for a hopeless each way bet.

I'd be confident in England winning this tournament if we had a different manager. I'll be happy to get out the group on recent form.

I’m not sure apart from being hosts, there is an awful lot in common. South Korea were a semi decent team, with players drawn from leagues in Europe and around the world. All Qatar’s squad play in their national league. They wouldn’t be within a million miles of the finals if they weren’t hosts. You can have Saudi Arabia at 500 points bigger if you’re looking for a hopeless each way bet.
South Korea had a lot of help to get to the semi's. The Italy game stunk to fuck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.