2022 World Cup Discussion

We are, probably, all aware of the way Qatar deal with immigrant workers and LGBT people but how many people on here will boycot watching. Like the rest of the country I suspect most will still watch it. Remember watching the games gives the Qataris justification for selling advertising rights and TV companies will make lots of money from the same. Not watching is a way of hitting back but I doubt people will do it.

In the same way that all those journalists complaining about the lack of human rights in Qatar will still go for a freebie. Dan Roan will still go for a 40 freebie trip.

Most people I suspect would love to see human rights improved in countries all over the world. But if boycotting countries who’s policy’s we think could do with improvement, I doubt there would have been a World Cup ever taken place. And we’d certainly be boycotting the next one.

The FIFA rankings are generally a lot better indication of a teams ability than a lot of people give them credit for.

I imagine it’s tricky to weight Asian teams results though as they rarely play anybody outside of their own federation in between World Cups.

Iran for example have played only one European team since the last World Cup. They beat Bosnia. They’re also only played one South American side and beat Uruguay. In that last World Cup they beat Morocco, drew with Portugal and lost narrowly, 1-0 to Spain.

Anybody assuming they’ll be shit, just because Iran sound like a country that will be shit, might be in for a bit of a surprise.

Yeah I don’t understand how anyone thinks we can win the group with ease. Let’s hope the players don’t think so.

I remember in 2014, finalists Argentina scraped past Iran 1-0 in their group game with an injury time winner. So these games are never straight forward. They’ve been putting up some decent performances against good sides. If they set up just to stop us, you could be looking at a frustrating game to watch.

Wales will be bang up for it, like Scotland were last year against us. Last time we met Wales at Euro 2016, we just got over the line with an injury time winner. Wales have been decent in tournaments once they get there. I can’t see it being a walk in the park against them, they’ll be desperate to beat us.

Cant say I know much about USA these days. I know last time we met at a World Cup it was 1-1. They usually play with plenty of enthusiasm at the World Cup, so again, I don’t think it’s a team we will walk through.

I had a look at the fixture list yesterday and think there might be 4 or 5 games worth watching in the group stages. Can’t wait for England vs Wales :-(

What a bore fest it looks. I cant remember ever being as disinterested in a World Cup. Hopefully that will improve once it starts.

There's always a team that comes through the playoffs and has a good tournament. Portugal remind me of Pakistan in the cricket. Somehow, they always make the latter stages despite playing shite and being pretty much out at one point. They won Euro 2016 having drawn all three group games and then winning in ET or on pens in every knockout iirc! I can't see them winning it though.

The Dutch have a strong squad of hardworking players with a good balance of youth and experience and I think they'll be one of the better European teams alongside Spain and England (yep I said it). Argentina or Brazil should win it. On paper I'd say Brazil, but I think the Messi factor means Argentina will take the glory. Would love for England to beat them in the final though.

It’s interesting, a lot of people are picking Argentina or Brazil

I have quite a few friends in both of those countries and most of them feel they can’t compete with European teams these days. The Brazilians I know, while hopeful, feel they will probably lose if they come up against one of the top European teams like England.

Then a lot of English folks think we’ll be dumped out if we come up against someone like Brazil.

So it just shows how our perspectives differ in relation to where we are.

I agree, their chances are underrated:

Diogo Costa

Cancelo (Dalot) Dias Pepe/Antonio Silva Mendes/Guerreiro

Bruno (Nunes) Vitinha/Ruben Neves Bernardo Silva

Felix Ronaldo (Andre Silva) Leao

Actually one may say that Ronaldo is a weak link there, at least this season he is genuinely miles off it and I really do not believe their coach has a balls to make it right, but for me on paper Portugal > Spain for instance.

Ronaldo has been off the pace, and he’s 37 but you can also take into account he’s playing for a club he doesn’t want to be at any more, under a manager he doesn’t want to play under.

I think Ronaldo playing in his last World Cup for his beloved Portugal will be a different player than the one at United recently. Not saying he will be rolling back the years to when he was 25, but I expect he will be extremely motivated and he can still put the ball in the net.

I have to say that Switzerland's away shirt is probably the worst in world cup history? Who's been paid to come up with that?

It’s interesting, a lot of people are picking Argentina or Brazil

I have quite a few friends in both of those countries and most of them feel they can’t compete with European teams these days. The Brazilians I know, while hopeful, feel they will probably lose if they come up against one of the top European teams like England.

Then a lot of English folks think we’ll be dumped out if we come up against someone like Brazil.

So it just shows how our perspectives differ in relation to where we are.
I don't think Brazil or Argentina will be far off the European team's levels at all.

Argentina are definitely the dark horses IMO. I actually wouldn't rule out England either. This is one of the first tournaments where there isn't an obvious winner.

I don't think Brazil or Argentina will be far off the European team's levels at all.

Argentina are definitely the dark horses IMO. I actually wouldn't rule out England either. This is one of the first tournaments where there isn't an obvious winner.

I have a feeling this years winner might be a bit of wild card

Anyway I do think Argentina can be right up there. I just find it interesting how we big them up but the South Americans I know are adamant their teams these days can’t live with good European sides. But maybe it’s just because apart from Argentina in 2014, no South American team has had a chance of winning it since 2002, 20 years ago! The last World Cup had all semi finalist hailing from Europe. So you can see why some might feel that way.

So it just goes to show me that the England fans being negative about England chances probably isn’t a true indicator of England’s actual chances because fans of other countries pretty much feel the same way about their team.

Reactions: mat

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.