21 | Sergio Gomez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
His first instinct is to attack which probably comes from the fact of playing in midfield alot and it is that very instinct which makes him an ideal fit for city, obviously there is the defensive aspect but its only his second year in this position, he will improve defensively with time but will always have a moment every now and then which is okay considering the attacking threat he brings to the game
Agreed.
It wouldn't surprise me if we sign a LB and use Gomez as more of left midfielder/winger in the future.

City must be the toughest team in the world to sign for baring in mind what’s expected from players. Give him a chance. He looks like he’s got the raw materials that will allow him to be a success over time.

I think one the issues we have as a fan base is that because we've had a few players that were as good as it gets, we have an expectation that we are aiming for all round perfection when the reality is even elite players have strengths and weaknesses. None of our fullbacks are perfect but, looked at in the round, their strengths significantly outweigh their weaknesses. My hope is that with some work and a following wind that'll be true of Gomez too.

I think one the issues we have as a fan base is that because we've had a few players that were as good as it gets, we have an expectation that we are aiming for all round perfection when the reality is even elite players have strengths and weaknesses. None of our fullbacks are perfect but, looked at in the round, their strengths significantly outweigh their weaknesses. My hope is that with some work and a following wind that'll be true of Gomez too.
Yeah agree, I’m certainly willing to give him more than half a dozen games before deciding he’s shite and not good enough, which for some strange reason one or two on here have already concluded.

It will take a long time for Gomez to start looking like a proper LB. Games like last night helped. He's played predominantly as an attacking player. He got both of Spain's goals to put them 2-0 up in the U17 WC final before England came back and won 5-2. It's positioning that he needs to work on, and knowing where to be from a defensive perspective. Zinchenko took time to adapt and became very solid in the majority of games. Gomez can become that player too, but he could also become a winger/attacking midfielder so plenty of options. We've always had someone like that in Pep's squad. Delph - Zin - Gomez. Versatile and willing to do their best wherever they play.

The Spanish Kolarov.
So much more pace and much slicker with the ball. If you mean defensively or crossing the ball, OK then, but Gomez has plenty of time to improve his defensive abilities.

Thought he was fine last night, and to me seemed to make Grealish better.

Nobody on here has seen anywhere near enough of him to judge him yet.

His own fault that due to a red card.

Having a natural left back is a huge plus, but this lad has a long way to go defensively before we can rely on him. Even v united he allowed a ball go past him at the back post and they really should have scored from it, it was real schoolboy stuff.

Hopefully he can learn that side of the game, his attacking and link up play is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.