21 | Sergio Gomez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really liked him today. Some utter arses in the match day thread jumping on any minor mistake he made, as usual, because some "fans" love to hate and berate one or two of our players for some reason, while conveniently ignoring a more established player making the same sort of error a few minutes later.

But yeah, I think he slotted in well. He's creative, good eye for a pass, always trying to push the play forward, and there's clearly a very versatile player in there who can roam around the wing and take up multiple positions, which is exactly what Pep likes.

They're not the same, but there are definitely some Zinny vibes in Gomez's versatility and adaptability. I think he'll be here next season and can start to play a bigger role.

Let me ask you this. Would you ever match him against the likes of Salah, Saka or Kingsley Coman? Hes certainly not going to speed up much as he gets older.

Let me ask you this. Would you ever match him against the likes of Salah, Saka or Kingsley Coman? Hes certainly not going to speed up much as he gets older.
Let me ask you this: would you have matched Ake against the likes of Salah, Saka, or Coman last season?

Well, Rico is a right back and Gomez is a left back, so I am not sure why we can’t have both of them.
This. Rico is a natural Walker replacement. Also, Rico is VERY young. His time will come. I trust Pep, he knows best, and recently, he has been giving more minutes to Gomez than Rico. I didn't think Rico looked good at left-back, so he is there, competing with Stonesy and Walker at right-back. I would even say that maybe his future is in midfield. He looked to operate centrally today. Nevertheless, Ake is out, and we need to have some options other than Laporte. Gomez has been patiently awaiting chances, grateful to be here, I like this attitude, and the technical ability is here. He will surprise some BM posters in the future :).

He did fine today, despite what the match thread would have you believe. 1 or 2 mistakes but I thought generally he did well and was taking up good positions throughout the entire match. I'll take that from a guy who has rarely played and isn't up to speed.

Let me ask you this: would you have matched Ake against the likes of Salah, Saka, or Coman last season?
Absolutely I would have, Ake hasn’t Suddenly become faster or more agile. Gomez just doesn’t have the physical attributes of a defender. Fine for the teams which sit behind the ball, but not in the big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.