23 years ago. Rovers away.

Certainly rode our luck that day, Rovers should have been out of sight. Well worth the £100 I paid doorman at nearby pub for £18 face value tkt in Jack Walker stand which had plenty blues in.

Can’t believe that’s 23 years ago. Remember sitting on a wall outside garage after the game and having a can of lager thrust into my hand as the beer supply was emptied from the place. Could not believe how Blackburn were not out of sight before we equalised. Had a few mates travel with no tickets and who watched from the embankment who’d been outbid for tickets in Blackburn end. Great times doing the grounds and following the falls and rises and I have a pang of pity for those who have not seen it all but may just be the hankering of youth as it probably felt pretty shit on occasion at the time but don’t remember it that way.

I’m more critical than most of Joe Royle’s tenure as manager but credit where’s its due, that was one of the most enjoyable seasons of my whole time watching City. Building up to one of the great away days in our history.

I think one of the reasons it was so enjoyable was that it was probably the only season we’ve spent outside the top division where expectations weren’t sky high for promotion. Although I’m struggling to really remember what pre season expectations were before the relegation to division 3 season.

But everyone’s hope for this season was a nice boring mid table consolidation season. Don’t think anyone saw what happened coming.

Was on a mad all dayer with my ex bird the day before, didn't get to bed until about 9am. Woke up very late to about 40 missed calls on my phone which was on silent. All the lads had gone on a bus and there I was hungover and ostracised from civilisation(ok,Altrincham) and no lift, trains wouldn't of got me there on time. So I begged the ex to drive me there even though she'd only been in bed about 4 hours and rough as a Miles Platting hen do. She did. I remember the turning to Ewood off the motorway was rammed,so we carried on a few miles to the next one and came the longer way. We were a few miles away from the ground and we turned onto a main road overlooking the Ewood ground area,it's a moment in time that will stay with me for ever. It was just a massive sea of blue,I'd never seen anything like it. If I wasn't already buzzin for this game then now I was frothing at the mouth. We drove down the road about a 100 metres from the Fenchurch pub where the lads were. I'd never seen so many City concentrated in one place, it was a special moment. That was only the start of a day I could probably write a book about. Crazy day(night and next day..)

I think one of the reasons it was so enjoyable was that it was probably the only season we’ve spent outside the top division where expectations weren’t sky high for promotion. Although I’m struggling to really remember what pre season expectations were before the relegation to division 3 season.
Generally pretty optimistic. Kinkladze had agreed to stay and we had a bit of a rally at the end of the 1996/7 season. We’d signed Bradbury and won a pre-season friendly at Burnley where we looked the business and Bradbury scored. I think most blues thought we’d challenge for promotion that season. I’d be surprised if more than a handful thought we’d go down.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.