24 Hour Party People

Revol

Half inspired by the topic about Coogan yesterday, and half inspired watching it last night.

Anyone else love this film? Prbably my favourite of all time. I guess if you're not into music from the Manchester scene in the 70s/80s it's not really for you, but I'm a big fan of New Order and Joy Division, and as a result of watching the film religiously I'm now a massive Happy Mondays fan. The acting is top notch, you couldn't have asked for a better person to be cast as Tony Wilson than Coogan, partially because word has it Wilson inspired Alan Partridge, and Paddy Considine (who I met after a Riding The Low gig and drunkenly quoted lines from the film at!), Andy Serkis, Danny Cunningham, Ralf Little and Sean Harris also shine. And then there's some nice cameos from Simon Pegg, Peter Kay, Mani, Paul Ryder and Mark E Smith.

Also, on the DVD, there's a deleted scene of Wilson at a City match with Rob Gretton (Wilson was a rag, Gretton was a citizen). Fucking hilarious, it should have made the final cut!

Quality film and really got me into that scene and the music was just something else!

It's a pity I lost the DVD and not watched it in a while! Gonna have to get on play or ebay now and get it bought!

the film has only a tentative relationship at best with what really happened.

"If the legend is better than the truth, print the legend" as Wilson once said.

Wierdly, I was asked to be an extra in the scenes shot around Maine Road, one Saturday morning. I copped off with our HR Manager the night before and stayed in bed with her.

yep cracking film, dont know what gretton was like in real life but he came across as a proper psycho in the film! Cool as fuck one moment then flippin and going mental the next.

jacko74 said:
yep cracking film, dont know what gretton was like in real life but he came across as a proper psycho in the film! Cool as fuck one moment then flippin and going mental the next.

"Thirty grand for a fuckin' table?!"

Apparently he was like that in real life. Had a right temper on him.

jacko74 said:

RIP rob, he used to try and run with some of the city lads...standing in the kippax smoking a spliff with mike pickering ;p

Shame there wasn't much about The Smiths or The Stone Roses, or even Oasis, the three biggest bands to come out of Manchester. I know it was about Factory, a label none of those bands were signed to, but they all had their links with Wilson. Wilson once did an infamous interview with Morrissey, I think it's on Youtube, I know Wilson hated the Roses because Martin Hannett and his ex-wife and a load of other people he hated were working with them, and Oasis tried to get signed to Factory but were the only band to get rejected!

There is a deleted scene where a teenage Morrissey gets into a car with Wilson and his girlfriend though.

I was a huge Factory head and followed loads of the bands.

For all of their legacy, Factory made some horrendous cockups - not just with finances as has been well documented. They also missed out on bags of local talent who should have been theirs.

For God's sake, House Music exploded right under their very roof and they opened up a classical label whilst the likes of 808 State, Guy Called Gerald, M-People etc sold millions on other labels. "Ride On Time" was largely broken at the Hac and it went number one on some Italian label.

With regards to The Smiths, there was rivalry. I think Factory passed them over and they were certainly at odds with the Factory house image. Gretton once said to Morrisey in an interview "You're all mouth. At least Ian had the guts to do it"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.