24 Hour Party People

gagiesotherhalf said:
I adore this film! Another Hacienda head here, although never really got into the dance music aspect, would go regularly from 87 to 91, obviously then the bad stuff started happening and for me it died then.
Went back about a week before it closed for one last time, and it was like a time warp, all the old faces were there; as if we all knew it was our one last night in there.
I blubbed a bit when I sat in the cinema (interestingly enough Simon out of Trevor and Simon was sat next to me) and saw the recreation of the Hac - I thought they nailed that pretty perfectly.
Was about to apply for an extras role to be told I was too old :( So the people that appeared in the Hacienda scenes were in fact all too young to have ever even been in the place!
Furious at Crosby Homes for not keeping the original facade of the building which should rightly have been listed. Criminal waste of space making poncey flats out of it.
As a youngster, I had my 'Tony Wilson is a twat' phase but really this film made me realise we all loved and hated him in equal measures. He did more for this city's culture than anyone I can think of and that's an amazing legacy.

There's a group of people trying to get a Manchester Music Museum going; again if Wilson were here I have no doubt the wheels would be in motion for it, but without him it seems difficult for anyone to take it seriously, he had the clout alright.

spot on....tony wilson will always be the godfather of manchester music for me....i'm another old Hac head (85-92)....went back a few times before it closed, but it just didnt feel the same

I like to see Wilson as a Northern version of John Peel. People don't fully appreciate how much he did for music up here, and especially for Manchester. I like to think that pretty much every succesful band from up North since the 70s, directly or indirectly, gained part of their popularity because of his legacy.

He did divide opinions as well, but I guess that made the man.

RIP Hac...you will be forever remembered ;)

r04igz.jpg

2i70do0.jpg

30x9b2t.jpg

30a3n7k.jpg

qzmct5.jpg

2cpqf44.jpg

2ep0kcm.jpg

j9alo4.jpg

ivl8r5.jpg

2yy9p3b.jpg

110yfkw.jpg

Revol said:
I like to see Wilson as a Northern version of John Peel. People don't fully appreciate how much he did for music up here, and especially for Manchester. I like to think that pretty much every succesful band from up North since the 70s, directly or indirectly, gained part of their popularity because of his legacy.

He did divide opinions as well, but I guess that made the man.

John Peel was from the Wirral...

Any other Hac regulars still hate Fiona Allen btw?
She was a right miserable woman when she worked on the door/cloakroom. Had a run in with her once and cannot forget her dour miserable face behind the glass!
(for the uninitiated I am talking about the now supposedly funny telly bird Fiona Allen off Smack the Pony and other such nonsense)

tony wilson wasnt a northerner but must have moved here at some point and loved the place.
he championed everything good about the north west, not just music but for example the commonwealth games bid, especially the building of an 80000 seater stadium which city would have had.
in the end wembley came in with a last minute bid and the money was duly handed over to the capital! meaning we got the scaled down version we see today.

gagiesotherhalf said:
She was a right miserable woman when she worked on the door/cloakroom. Had a run in with her once and cannot forget her dour miserable face behind the glass!
(for the uninitiated I am talking about the now supposedly funny telly bird Fiona Allen off Smack the Pony and other such nonsense)
Hahaha, just looked her up on imdb, she played herself in 24HPP !

gagiesotherhalf said:

haha i remember going in there already smashed and knocked the fucking metal detector over! she didnt look impressed. ;)

wrongun73 said:
tony wilson wasnt a northerner but must have moved here at some point and loved the place.
he championed everything good about the north west, not just music but for example the commonwealth games bid, especially the building of an 80000 seater stadium which city would have had.
in the end wembley came in with a last minute bid and the money was duly handed over to the capital! meaning we got the scaled down version we see today.

Wrong!
Anthony H Wilson was educated at De La Salle College, Salford
He lived in Marple, if I remember rightly and went off to Cambridge, to return to work for Granada.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.