#25 | Fernandinho - 2020/2021 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you're talking about *this* side. "This side concedes less goals" Obviously has nothing to do with last season where we conceded loads of goals.

This side is clearly not the side of last season, with no David Silva and the much improved defence, change to 4231 and big tactical shift. This side could still win every competition it's entered.
But this side is essentially the same side as last season with the addition of a CB who can defend. The Silva of last season was not the same as the Silva in 17/18 or the 1st half of 18/19. In our wisdom we decided to replace the end of 18/19 Silva, instead of the guy who had been the most consistent CM in the Prem for the past decade. You could argue we got a like-for-like replacement.

Poor recruitment has led us to 4231, not tactical genius. Surprisingly, the best side the Prem has ever seen didn't need reinventing, it just needed the correct personnel in the correct positions.

As I said in my earlier response to Dax, there is nothing to say we cannot be successful with those two in the middle and yes, we could win every competition we have entered but it will be a slog to do so and not as pretty as it is meant to be under Pep.

Yes. But that's because, Kevin, Aguero and Sterling are all playing poorer in addition to losing Silva.

Yes, no one disagrees.

I'd say his as good as last year's Dave. Who wasn't particularly at his best.

What Dihno did to spring Phil was nice but it's nothing I haven't seen before. See Rodri pass to start the move for Mahrez goal against Burnley. Plays like that are not uncommon.

I agree Dihno is more offensive bthan Rodri. But doesn't brake care of the ball as well. So there are pluses and minuses to Dihno.

This is wrong. They are 2 of the more consistent players. If the others were playing at the standard of 2018, we'd be walking the league just like then.

Again, we are levels below coz we lost a great midfielder and everyone else who was great back then hasn't been. Sterling won us multiple games on his own that had nothing to do with the other great players.. Just him delivering at the death. Aguero had a couple of those too. So did Bernado. Not to mention, Sane's soeed added a factor that made Kev and Dave plays easier and better. Aguero also was at his scoring best. To discount all these key factors and lump it on the DM replacements because you don't like them or because they are different from what you historically fancied, is a bit of pretending the problem lies where it doesn't.

Again, we are scoring less and conceding less. At a minimum, we can concludd from that Rodri is doing some kinda job)
I don't disagree at all that others have not performed to their previous levels but for varying reasons. I think in some cases the blame can be mainly assigned to individuals and in other cases an individuals levels are somewhat dictated by the way we play.

I know some aren't 100% happy with the way KDB is performing but I would argue his job is now much harder than it was 2 or 3 years ago because he has players of a lesser quality around him. Its a different game when he looks forward and he can go left to Sane, right to Sterling, play Aguero through or just knock it off to prime Silva. Looking right and seeing Mahrez picking his arse is not the same.

If I look at Bernardo, for me there is little excuse (except potentially mental - Mendy etc) for his form completely falling off a cliff. His skillset should allow him to thrive in any XI that Pep puts out, whether in an attacking 433 or a more cautious 4231.

Whereas when I look at Sterling, I feel he is a victim of our new style, in the same way he was very much a beneficiary of the way we played in previous years. He has a very limited but potent skillset, if we play to it, he looks a top class player. When we don't play to it (currently) he looks like a lost puppy.

If I look at Rodri and Gundogan, they get to hold each others hands, so the current set up suits them perfectly and this is probably how we get the best out of them both. I have no arguments there. They are certainly better alongside each other than they are when Gundogan masquerades as an 8. However, I do believe that changing the formation/tactics to get the best out of them, negatively impacts on other individuals further forward. Granted, they may also be part of the reason that Dias and now Stones look so good, so finding the right balance is everything.

Maybe we were spoiled in 17/18 with what now looks like a perfect storm, 6 or 7 players at their absolute peak in a formation that allowed them to thrive. Maybe the current set up is the evolution of a side that brings us even more glory and it has to, because fans will only tolerate a huge drop off in style, if it comes with success.

We have played 433 the last few seasons with Dinho, Gundogan or even Rodri as the only DM.

Fernandinho is NOT special as to why we switched to 4231, it's because we lost David Silva and Pep is adapting to the loss of David, not to Dinho's regression.

Many of our players have found it difficult to find form due to COVID and lack of preparation and having this rushed season as a result. So there is your reason, it didn't just happen all of a sudden.

In what way is the game currently changing that Pep hasn't adapted to? This is far too generic a statement.

Sterling, Aguero, KdB, Bernardo Silva all well below their high standards, but no let's just deflect to Gundogan (who was vital in both of our recent title winning seasons) and Rodri.

To both of you, we have won loads of games in phenomenal style without Dinho these past few years, have you forgotten so quickly?

Don't let a 4-1 win to this shitty Arsenal side, wherein we were actually quite mediocre (we were actually better against Southampton) trick you into thinking Dinho was special, especially on just 1 game where we had some terrible goals from an awful keeper.

Some quality revisionism there.

David Silva was quite ordinary for us in his last two seasons. He had a small renaissance after we came from the Covid break, but apart from that, he wasn't worthy of a regular starting spot.

Furthermore, Gundogan wasn't vital to us in any of our title winning seasons - it was Dinho. It was Dinho, along with Bernardo, who put in the performance of his career to us get the three points against the Dippers, which ultimately proved to be the title clincher. It was Dinho who was missing (and Gundogan who was playing) when we had that dip during Christmas. It was Dinho covering the pitch for Yaya to stroll about and do his own thing when we won the title in 13/14. Whether you like it or not, Fernandinho has cemented himself as a legend of this club, right alongside the likes of Kompany, Silva, Aguero, and Yaya. There's a reason for it.

We have by and large struggled with Gundogan playing in the DM position. The supporters see it. Stop trying to trick people into thinking it doesn't exist - it does.

Last edited:

David Silva was quite ordinary for us in his last two seasons. He had a small renaissance after we came from the Covid break, but apart from that, he wasn't worthy of a regular starting spot.

Furthermore, Gundogan wasn't vital to us in any of our title winning seasons - it was Dinho. It was Dinho, along with Bernardo, who put in the performance of his career to us get the three points against the Dippers, which ultimately proved to be the title clincher. It was Dinho who was missing (and Gundogan who was playing) when we had that dip during Christmas. It was Dinho covering the pitch for Yaya to stroll about and do his own thing when we won the title in 13/14. Whether you like it or not, Fernandinho has cemented himself as a legend of this club, right alongside the likes of Kompany, Silva, Aguero, and Yaya. There's a reason for it.

We have by and large struggled with Gundogan playing in the DM position. The supporters see it. Stop trying to trick people into thinking it doesn't exist - it does.
Your just straight up lying now, so I wont bother.

I forgot just how much you despised Gundogan.

What about when Gundo was one of our key players in the run after Christmas, pretty sure he played in Ferns position. I can remember at the time thinking that should be his only position, as it suited him more. To say Gundo wasn’t vital to us in any of our title runs is laughable.

What about when Gundo was one of our key players in the run after Christmas, pretty sure he played in Ferns position. I can remember at the time thinking that should be his only position, as it suited him more. To say Gundo wasn’t vital to us in any of our title runs is laughable.
The last 6 games of the season, THE RUN IN, as it's fondly called in the 2018/19 season. The games we had to win to hold off Liverpool were all manned by Gundogan.

And he was one of the most consistent players in that run.

Further more, Dihno as good as he is wasn't instrumental in the run in of 2 of the 3 titles he has been a part of at City.

2013/14 when we had to win 6 straight; Pelegrini turned to Javi Garcia. Dihno was benched. In 18/19 Dihno got injured Gundogan took over the run in games, played so we'll that when Dihno got healthy, Pep kept Gundogan in instead.

Fernandihno has been great for us. But the remembrance of the facts of our trophies runs almost always overstate his importance.

Outside of our greatest team ever of 2017/2018 when everyone weas in the forms of their life, including Dihno. He has not been important in any other run in.

This is not meant to diminish his input. But rather to state it as they are not as it has be fantasized.

That said, his 2017/18 form was up their with the best ever at DM.

I stopped after David Silva Ordinary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.